Seattle Mariners

D-train

Re: Seattle Mariners

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm
None of the bad defenders are in the long term plans other than perhaps Santana who will be moved to DH once the old fellas are moved.

dt
That would mean Vogey is the every day first baseman. Is his defense over there really good enough to play every day?
Yeah, I thought of that. Maybe learn Santana up on playing 1st and then go with the lesser of two evils or trade one for a 1B. btw White has been terrible with the bat so far. Don't count on him.

dt
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Michael K. wrote:
D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm
None of the bad defenders are in the long term plans other than perhaps Santana who will be moved to DH once the old fellas are moved.

dt
That would mean Vogey is the every day first baseman. Is his defense over there really good enough to play every day?
Yeah, I thought of that. Maybe learn Santana up on playing 1st and then go with the lesser of two evils or trade one for a 1B. btw White has been terrible with the bat so far. Don't count on him.

dt
From Lookout Landing's 4/25 report:
After missing nearly two weeks due to injury, 1B Evan White Returned to the Arkansas Travelers lineup Wednesday, going 0-5 in his first game back.
That may be the issue can't remember if it was his ribs or back but anything like that can grossly inhibit a good swing and throw one's timing off for a while. We all want him to be wonderful with the bat (like John Olerud), not terrible (like.......well, like a whole lot of garbage we've seen for so long :( ).
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Rocky C.jpg
Rocky C.jpg (3.36 KiB) Viewed 2883 times
DMM

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu May 02, 2019 1:11 am

rockycola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm
Michael K. wrote:

dt
From Lookout Landing's 4/25 report:
After missing nearly two weeks due to injury, 1B Evan White Returned to the Arkansas Travelers lineup Wednesday, going 0-5 in his first game back.
That may be the issue can't remember if it was his ribs or back but anything like that can grossly inhibit a good swing and throw one's timing off for a while. We all want him to be wonderful with the bat (like John Olerud), not terrible (like.......well, like a whole lot of garbage we've seen for so long :( ).

RotoWire

White (hip flexor) is on the minor-league injured list at Double-A Arkansas but is progressing well and headed for activation early next week, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports.

White was raking to open the season, as he'd slashed .308/.367/.385 with two doubles and three RBI over his first 29 plate appearances before the injury. The 2017 first-round pick has been on the fast track since joining the organization, and a promotion to Triple-A Tacoma before season's end thus wouldn't be out of the question if his early numbers endure over the long term.

Petert

Post by Petert » Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 am

Much like the ‘curse of Ruth’, I sometimes feel this team is in need of exorcism: rename the team “Rainiers”, bury the ‘Mariner Mojo’ (but not the history) and the Moose, bring back the sleeveless ‘vest’ jerseys, keep dealing for young talent wherever possible, fire Servais, and trade the compass rose for a mountain silhouette.

And bring back Bill the Beerman (rip).
https://youtu.be/cSCL5EdTuwM

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 am

Petert wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 am
Much like the ‘curse of Ruth’, I sometimes feel this team is in need of exorcism: rename the team “Rainiers”, bury the ‘Mariner Mojo’ (but not the history) and the Moose, bring back the sleeveless ‘vest’ jerseys, keep dealing for young talent wherever possible, fire Servais, and trade the compass rose for a mountain silhouette.

Great ideas. I've thought for a long time the name "Mariners" should be sunk in the Sound; let the Kraken devour it. Rainiers would be a great name in MLB. And so much new $$$Marketing$$$ revenue.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

Petert

Post by Petert » Thu May 02, 2019 5:42 am

rockycola wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 am
Petert wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:42 am

Great ideas. I've thought for a long time the name "Mariners" should be sunk in the Sound; let the Kraken devour it. Rainiers would be a great name in MLB. And so much new $$$Marketing$$$ revenue.
...and with the exception of only one letter, you can rearrange ‘Mariners’ to ‘Rainiers’. See ? It’s already started ! :lol:

Ziskmagic

Post by Ziskmagic » Thu May 02, 2019 9:55 am

Yeah I support the name change, but knowing this organization this can't happen until the Mariner bobble head contract has been fulfilled in 2027.
As a body we are alone, as a soul never.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu May 02, 2019 10:03 am

Wtf is with the name change stuff guys. :mrgreen:

Every team in Seattle has the best name: The Sonics(when they existed) Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders and the new Seawolves. If anything the new Ice hockey team name options being bandied about are teaching us why we shouldn't ditch the name in case we balls it up.

Petert

Post by Petert » Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:03 am
Wtf is with the name change stuff guys. :mrgreen:

Every team in Seattle has the best name: The Sonics(when they existed) Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders and the new Seawolves. If anything the new Ice hockey team name options being bandied about are teaching us why we shouldn't ditch the name in case we balls it up.

I just always always thought that “Rainiers” was an incredibly awesome team name, and it ties back to our PCL history (which was a damn sight more successful than our ML history). Plus, the team’s nickname in the press was “the Suds” (being owned by brewer Emil Sicks). That rhymes with ‘duds’, which describes our current state of play.

There’s also the “Steelheads”, another short-lived, but incredibly Northwestern name.