Re: Stone on the step back

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat May 25, 2019 5:58 am

D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:19 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

The absolutely bizarre thing is that while he was never great defensively, this year is a major horrid aberration so I would definitely agree regarding hanging on to him during this difficult time.

UZR 150
2017 -5.7
2018 +10
2019 -33.6

I wonder if it has occurred to the idiots that he is more comfortable in RF and that they should move him back their especially when Mitch is in CF.
That's exactly what I think about Santana. He's a RF becoming a LF. They say he can play CF.. whatever, but I do think we've seen the bottom defensively on all of these guys really.
I can understand his discomfort. Imagine if you or I had to move to the left. :)
There ya go!

👍👍👍👍

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm

It seems to me the Mariners already blinked on the rebuild. Divish did a great article on the discussions after last season between JD, SS, Stanton and Larson. First off it showed where the decisions are made with this ownership group; Stanton and Larson. Period.

So it went from rebuild to "step back" because they chickened out. The plan now is to be a contender in 2021. This club needs a change in culture not a change (barely) in strategy. They are still building around a core, but it's a core made up of players who may or may not be MLB caliber. At the end of the day they fear decreased attendance more than they want a competitive club. If they BS enough fans into believing they are or will soon be a contender then that will just have to do.

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Sat May 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Last year we had a team a couple of games away from playoffs. This year we’ve got a disorganized mess on every front. This isn’t a step back, it is an unmitigated disaster. And to anyone who buys into the 2021 nonsense, I’ve got some great swampland in Florida to sell you.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Sat May 25, 2019 5:25 pm

I mean the first part alone is wrong, we were 7 games back. The rest is just wrong too, there is no point scraping in to a 1 game playoff when the team isn't good enough to compete with anyone outside of Oakland

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Sat May 25, 2019 6:03 pm

8 actually. My bad.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Sat May 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Sorry 8 yes!!!

Logainismyhero

Post by Logainismyhero » Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 pm

This team isn't going to be competitive until ownership changes

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 12:01 am

Freespeech wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 pm
It seems to me the Mariners already blinked on the rebuild. Divish did a great article on the discussions after last season between JD, SS, Stanton and Larson. First off it showed where the decisions are made with this ownership group; Stanton and Larson. Period.

So it went from rebuild to "step back" because they chickened out. The plan now is to be a contender in 2021. This club needs a change in culture not a change (barely) in strategy. They are still building around a core, but it's a core made up of players who may or may not be MLB caliber. At the end of the day they fear decreased attendance more than they want a competitive club. If they BS enough fans into believing they are or will soon be a contender then that will just have to do.
They have been absurdly saying they expect to compete mid 2020. Do they expect attendance to go up 50% next July even though they are 15 games out of first because they are now ready to compete. More inane marketing I suspect. Don't want to piss off a fan base that has waited almost 20 years for playoffs because they have to wait another half season.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 12:05 am

Happy as hell wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:10 pm
Last year we had a team a couple of games away from playoffs. This year we’ve got a disorganized mess on every front. This isn’t a step back, it is an unmitigated disaster. And to anyone who buys into the 2021 nonsense, I’ve got some great swampland in Florida to sell you.
At least you are being honest about the land being a swamp. They are more the oceanfront property in Oklahoma types.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 26, 2019 12:07 am

Logainismyhero wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 11:54 pm
This team isn't going to be competitive until ownership changes
I was hopeful it would when Stanton took over for Nintendo. I think he might either be worse or had been calling the shots for well over a decade.
dt