Interesting Quote from Leake in Today's Divish Article

bpj

Re: Interesting Quote from Leake in Today's Divish Article

Post by bpj » Wed May 29, 2019 4:08 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:56 pm
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like a trade is coming?
Feels like a prime time for Encarnacion to go with Healy needing a roster spot soon.

Beckham and Gordon are going to need playing time also.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:29 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 am
You meet guys on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Ha ha, that's right up there with Happy Gilmore, "I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast." "Wait, you eat pieces of **** for breakfast?"

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 am

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
You meet guys on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Color me shocked.

You accomplished next to nothing as a ball player, and you've got the nerve to call Servais a wimp and make fun of his MLB career from the safety of your keyboard.
D-train wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:40 am
More quotes from the outlaw Josey Wales' doppelganger here.

It’s hard to know if Leake is speaking for anybody beyond himself. Nobody else I talked with Monday gave answers resembling his. Most essentially said the same thing — that a GM’s approach has no bearing on their mindset.
“It’s baseball. Struggling is a part of it,” added center fielder Mallex Smith. “I pay little to no mind to what the front office says about what the year is supposed to be. All I know is we got 25-plus guys in here grinding our tails off.”
Leake has a good enough team around him to win his share of games if he could pitch like he's getting paid to pitch.
The "rebuild" has already paid dividends..one of the toughest positions to fill with a quality bat is at catcher and Narvaez might end up being the best one we ever had.
Acquiring a couple hard throwing starters could really go a long way to turning things around..eventually.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 am

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 am
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
You meet guys on the internet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Color me shocked.

You accomplished next to nothing as a ball player, and you've got the nerve to call Servais a wimp and make fun of his MLB career from the safety of your keyboard.
D-train wrote:

It’s hard to know if Leake is speaking for anybody beyond himself. Nobody else I talked with Monday gave answers resembling his. Most essentially said the same thing — that a GM’s approach has no bearing on their mindset.
“It’s baseball. Struggling is a part of it,” added center fielder Mallex Smith. “I pay little to no mind to what the front office says about what the year is supposed to be. All I know is we got 25-plus guys in here grinding our tails off.”
Leake has a good enough team around him to win his share of games if he could pitch like he's getting paid to pitch.
The "rebuild" has already paid dividends..one of the toughest positions to fill with a quality bat is at catcher and Narvaez might end up being the best one we ever had.
Acquiring a couple hard throwing starters could really go a long way to turning things around..eventually.
I said it before.

If I had the platform, I'd call him a wimp to his face and challenge him directly about his managing style. I don't have that platform. And that's the problem... the people who do have the platform kiss his ass and don't challenge him.

Read the Seattle Times. Divish literally said in a QnA the other day that he doesn't write critical articles because he wants to protect his job "that a kid from a small town in Montana" never figured he'd have. He's not willing to challenge the status quo because he's comfortable. A comfortable press in any capacity that doesn't hold people accountable is scary.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 am

The notion you can't criticise a manager or general manager unless you have played pro-baseball is silly and very probably hypocritical, by that token you can't be critical of a politician or CEO of a company you invest in.

What I can see with my eyes is that in one game(and he did it again later in the season) Zunino shouted at the bench to challenge a game winning run in the 7th and Servais just sat there stone faced and let it go when replays showed the guy was out. I also don't like how in the press(after virtually everyone shat the bed) the only guy he called out was Segura.

This was after the fight with Gordon and it was obvious a fall guy was needed for what ailed the team in the second half of the season. So what does Servais do he pulls Segura for a lack of hustle on a play SEGURA SCORED ON FFS and then made sure he told the media. What about the rest of the wasters last year?

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Wed May 29, 2019 7:33 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:57 am

I said it before.

If I had the platform, I'd call him a wimp to his face and challenge him directly about his managing style. I don't have that platform.
Oh yeah, sure you would tell him to his face........ :roll:
Tell us about all the other horrible players and managers that you've called a wimp and a loser to face to face...there must be dozens of them ..huh... :lol: ?
Hecklers are for the most part sad, self hating cowards. Hopefully you would never be deranged enough to throw batteries, spit on, or toss cups of beer at any of the guys who play this game.

Yes you DO have "the platform".
Launch a website for $5 dedicated to heckling Scott Servais with lots of key words to gain traffic. Be sure to publish your name, address and phone number too.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Thu May 30, 2019 6:47 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 am
IStillLoveTheMs wrote:

D-train wrote:

Narvaez is a good hitter but the M’s were 24 games over .500 with Zunino catching, 8 under with him; it’s clear the pitching has suffered overall, and that trade has to bear some responsibility.

Ignoring Narvaez’ liabilities on defense hides a problem.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:07 am
The notion you can't criticise a manager or general manager unless you have played pro-baseball is silly and very probably hypocritical, by that token you can't be critical of a politician or CEO of a company you invest in.
I almost think it is the opposite. If you have done it you criticize less because you understand. The HS softball coach in me wonders how the Huskies just lost an extra inning game in which their best pitcher never left the dugout...but I also understand how hard it is to make these calls, realize Heather is a hell of a lot better than me, and will not be critical.

That is how I see it. As for Servais. I have felt for some time that we have some turds on this team that ruined the locker room. There was talent to win, but the talent stunk. It isn't SS's fault that Cano was lazy, got hurt AND suspended. It isn't his fault that Felix refused to realize for two years that he was no longer an over powering arm. It wasn't his fault that Dee Gordon had damn near the same BA as OBP. It wasn't his fault that Seager stunk. I could go on and on.
Dr Naysay wrote:
What I can see with my eyes is that in one game(and he did it again later in the season) Zunino shouted at the bench to challenge a game winning run in the 7th and Servais just sat there stone faced and let it go when replays showed the guy was out. I also don't like how in the press(after virtually everyone shat the bed) the only guy he called out was Segura.

This was after the fight with Gordon and it was obvious a fall guy was needed for what ailed the team in the second half of the season. So what does Servais do he pulls Segura for a lack of hustle on a play SEGURA SCORED ON FFS and then made sure he told the media. What about the rest of the wasters last year?
Gordon was playing hurt, Segura took three games off for the birth of his third child. It was players taking days off, and many of those guys are now gone.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Thu May 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 7:08 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
I almost think it is the opposite. If you have done it you criticize less because you understand. The HS softball coach in me wonders how the Huskies just lost an extra inning game in which their best pitcher never left the dugout...but I also understand how hard it is to make these calls, realize Heather is a hell of a lot better than me, and will not be critical.

That is how I see it. As for Servais. I have felt for some time that we have some turds on this team that ruined the locker room. There was talent to win, but the talent stunk. It isn't SS's fault that Cano was lazy, got hurt AND suspended. It isn't his fault that Felix refused to realize for two years that he was no longer an over powering arm. It wasn't his fault that Dee Gordon had damn near the same BA as OBP. It wasn't his fault that Seager stunk. I could go on and on.
Dr Naysay wrote:

Gordon was playing hurt, Segura took three games off for the birth of his third child. It was players taking days off, and many of those guys are now gone.
Heather Tarr:

584 wins entering the 2019 season, most by any coach in any sport in UW history
Six Women's College World Series trips (2007, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2017, 2018)
2010 Pac-12 championship
2010 Pac-12 Coach of the Year
2009 NFCA National Coaching Staff of the Year
Four 50-win seasons
163 consecutive weeks ranked in the NFCA Coaches Poll (entering 2019)
24 consecutive weeks ranked in the top ten (entering 2019)
24 All-Americans
Seven Pac-12 Players of the Year (2005 Kristen Rivera- Player, 2009-2010 Danielle Lawrie- Pitcher, 2016 Taran Alvelo- Newcomer, 2011 Jenn Salling- Defensive Player, 2013 Shawna Wright- Defensive Player, 2018 Sis Bates- Defensive Player)
84 All-Pac-12 honorees
92 Pac-12 All-Academic honorees
2009 National Champion
2018 National Runner-Up
12 Super Regionals trips
69-31 postseason record (.690 winning percentage)
Nine-time Regionals host
14 postseason trips

Scott Servais:

3.1 WAR catcher over an 11-year MLB Career for an average of .3 WAR per year making him slightly better than a replacement player
352nd ranked catcher by WAR in MLB history
Career .686 OPS hitter
0 time All Star, Silver Slugger, Gold Glover
14 HBP's in 1994 is the most notable stats led (5th) category of his career
1 Playoff appearance as a coach or player in 1998
.000 Career winning % in the post season as a coach or player
.509 (and dropping) winning % as a manager
Has never led a team to the playoffs as a manager
Has coached 7 All Star Players over 3 seasons (likely 8 through the 4th)
Won a silver medal in the 1987 Pan-Am Games
Won a gold medal in the 1988 Olympics
Led player development during Rangers quality run during the late 2000's <----- hey maybe that's his strength? lets make him that. not the manager.
Assistant GM for Angels for 4 seasons, they made the playoffs once, losing.

I think one has earned the respect to not question their decisions more than the other.

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Always surprises me the things people are willing to spend the time arguing about.