Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

Bil522

Re: Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

Post by Bil522 » Thu May 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Also here is a different take from Keith Law of the Athletic:

"10. Los Angeles Angels: Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota

Meyer is “just” a six-foot right-hander, but has upper 90s velocity with the best slider in the draft, and if there is an MLB season this year he could be a candidate to go into someone’s bullpen this summer or fall, or at least serve on a taxi squad to come in as a replacement when a pitcher gets hurt."

He makes it sound like Meyer would be the quickest player to the majors

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 14, 2020 4:44 pm

At this point the Gonzales kid or the Mitchell kid seem like a lock, imo.

They could take a stab at the high school outfielder, but not bloody likely.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:25 pm
Also here is a different take from Keith Law of the Athletic:

"21. St. Louis Cardinals: Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA

Mitchell is an 80 runner and sure centerfielder, but teams are scared off by multiple factors, from questions about whether his swing will work with wood to health concerns given his diabetes. He reminds me a bit of Drew Stubbs, who wasn’t exactly the same kind of player — more power, a bit less speed, a slightly better defender at the same age — but went in the top ten picks in 2006."

Here is Drew Stubbs career......we definately want someone better than he was with #6

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... dr01.shtml
Not a Law fan so that actually gives me more confidence in Mitchell. Type I diabetes is VERY easily manageable in 2020. No different than you and I having to take a leak a few times a day.
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 6:38 pm

Not a Law fan so that actually gives me more confidence in Mitchell. Type I diabetes is VERY easily manageable in 2020. No different than you and I having to take a leak a few times a day.
We've already had a diabetic player on the Mariners. He had a pretty good career, though most of it with other teams. Brandon Morrow.
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 pm
D-train wrote:

We've already had a diabetic player on the Mariners. He had a pretty good career, though most of it with other teams. Brandon Morrow.
Yep, good memory. If he falls to us only because of T1D it will be a God send.....
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Fri May 15, 2020 3:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 pm
Double Mocha Man wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:21 pm
D-train wrote:

Yep, good memory. If he falls to us only because of T1D it will be a God send.....
Don't care about T1D, do care about Drew Stubbs comparison. Have you seen his Stats??

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 4:06 pm

If anyone other than Law thought he was going to be then next Drew Stubbs he wouldn't be regarded as a top 10 pick.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri May 15, 2020 10:20 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:42 pm
If anyone has access to the pay sites like ESPN, BA or the Athletic please post. Thanks.
Last time I checked, Baseball America had us taking Garrett Mitchell. I started falling out of love with him and more for Zac Veen and Nick Gonzalez as far as hitters go. However, if Lacey, Hancock, Abel or Bitsko are on the board, I'm taking a hard look.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri May 15, 2020 10:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:54 am
bpj wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:26 am
Without reading any further yet, it's hard to believe Dipoto isn't head over heels for the Mitchell kid.
Yep. CF version of Evan.. I like that he has great raw power that is just starting to translate to in game power. If it already had he wouldn't fall to 6.
Actually Mitchell projects to Grady Sizemore in his prime good years. They are scary identical.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri May 15, 2020 10:24 pm

Bil522 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 am
With Nick Gonzales still on the board here is who Keith Law of the Athletic thinks the M's will draft:

"6. Seattle Mariners: Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville

I think Detmers, who might end up with 70 command but pitches with just average fastball velocity, could go here if he doesn’t go to the Jays, and if there’s anything different in the top five I’d expect Seattle to just take whoever falls to them (rather than focusing on a specific name)."
I love the Reid Detmers pick. I did a piece on him. 4 plus pitches I believe. Lefty with plus plus command. His stock was soaring this year. I could easily see him being the pick.