The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

How content / discontent are you with the team as is to start the season? Select all that apply.

Ownership did all they could with the options they had.
No votes
Ownership sucks and they continue to be cheap bastards.
17%
Jerry Dipoto did the best he could under the circumstances.
10%
Jerry Dipoto is incompetent.
No votes
I believe that top free agents do not want to come to Seattle.
17%
I like the team as it is and would not have made any other moves.
No votes
I like the team but would have added at least one more infield bat.
14%
I like the team but would have added at least one more outfield bat.
7%
I like the team but would have added at least another reliever.
12%
I like the team but would have added at least another TOR pitcher.
22%

Total votes: 69

TraderGary

Re: The forum's poll for 2022 and why?

Post by TraderGary » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:25 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 am
I think Jerry had every intention of signing multiple free agent bats. Unfortunately I think convincing a right handed power hitter to come play at T-Mobile may be one of the hardest sells in sports. It's easy to say "The M's could have afforded to sign all of these guys for the number they ended up getting but that doesnt mean any of them would have been willing to come here. I think that Jerry ran into road blocks on every hitter he tried to deal with and that's why they went the trade route.

I think that's entirely possible. When they moved the fences in a while back, I would argue that they didn't bring them in far enough to make it an equally fair park for both pitchers and hitters.

Personally I would have rather had a diferent roster than the one we ended up with but I dont necessarily dislike what we ended up with. They added 3 All stars and another former all star that you can basically pencil in for 30+ homeruns. I think they are good enough to make the playoffs as is and they are well positioned to supplement things at the deadline.
Supplementing at the deadline is going to be the key as long as we can remain in the hunt till then. The money will certainly be there to make it happen. They just have to be willing to open the purse strings. I'm just a bit skeptical about their willingness to do that enough to bring in a difference maker and not just some support piece. It's hard to trust these guys after they've lied to us so many times, and continue to do so.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:18 am

TraderGary wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:25 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:57 am
I think Jerry had every intention of signing multiple free agent bats. Unfortunately I think convincing a right handed power hitter to come play at T-Mobile may be one of the hardest sells in sports. It's easy to say "The M's could have afforded to sign all of these guys for the number they ended up getting but that doesnt mean any of them would have been willing to come here. I think that Jerry ran into road blocks on every hitter he tried to deal with and that's why they went the trade route.

I think that's entirely possible. When they moved the fences in a while back, I would argue that they didn't bring them in far enough to make it an equally fair park for both pitchers and hitters.

Personally I would have rather had a diferent roster than the one we ended up with but I dont necessarily dislike what we ended up with. They added 3 All stars and another former all star that you can basically pencil in for 30+ homeruns. I think they are good enough to make the playoffs as is and they are well positioned to supplement things at the deadline.
Supplementing at the deadline is going to be the key as long as we can remain in the hunt till then. The money will certainly be there to make it happen. They just have to be willing to open the purse strings. I'm just a bit skeptical about their willingness to do that enough to bring in a difference maker and not just some support piece. It's hard to trust these guys after they've lied to us so many times, and continue to do so.
Here would be my 3x targets:

Ketel Marte: No clue why the Diamondbacks haven't moved him already. They're going to be awful, so what are on earth are they doing by wasting his value as he nears the end of his deal? He would slot right in at 2B.

Jose Ramirez: If the Indians make Ramirez available, it would be worth it to explore Suarez in more of a DH platoon role against lefties. Ramirez is one of the best 3B's in baseball. The Indians aren't going to contend with the White Sox (and maybe not the Twins) and with 1.5 years left they're basically going to be forced to get rid of him. Thankfully, the prospect haul should be less the closer he comes to the end of his contract - think a Mookie Betts like trade.

Xander Bogaerts: I'd be pretty happy picking up that Bogaerts contract. $20 million a year for him seems like a steal. He also has an opt out in his contract following 2022, trading for him as a rental might not be the worst idea and then we can see about re-signing him to a new deal. He seems pretty unhappy playing in Boston and is pissed that the media is asking him if he's going to move off short stop with the Story addition.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:39 am

You would think, based on the poll results, that no-one here blames JD at all for the lack of free agent signings. There needed to be a choice for him being just a mediocre GM.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:15 pm

TraderGary wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:13 pm
I selected 5 of the available options.

Ownership sucks and they continue to be cheap bastards
Ownership and Jerry told us that we would have to withstand the pain of a rebuild, but that when the team was ready to compete, the money would be there to fill the holes and make us legitimate contenders. Well thus far, they’ve flat out lied to us. I like the Ray signing, but we’ve sat back and watched all the big bats be snapped up by teams actually trying to win. Granted there were question marks and concerns with all the big bat free agents out there, but sometimes you just have to roll the dice, and after 20 years of futility, that time should have been now. They could have flipped Saurez or traded Crawford and signed a Correa or Bryant. Agree 1000!

I believe that top free agents do not want to come to Seattle
I think this is largely true for the most part. We have a 20-year track record of losing, although everyone knows this team is on the cusp of being really good with the right additions. But I think a bigger reason hitters don’t want to come here is the park factor, particularly for power hitters. They know that in the cavernous T-Mobile park and combined with the marine air in the spring and fall, that their numbers are going to take a hit, which will obviously have an adverse affect going into their next contract. If I was a legitimate power hitter who makes my living hitting home runs, Seattle is probably the last place I’m going to consider. In order to attract those types of hitters, we have to overpay to have any chance of attracting them. Sorry, I just don't buy this in the least. If hitters and agents think that, they are wrong but I wouldn't put it past them.

I like the team but would have added at least one more infield bat
Again, they could have flipped Saurez (who’s a big question mark), or traded Crawford and signed a Correa or Bryant, IF they were willing to come here. Absolutely!

I like the team but would have added at least one more outfield bat
We have a lot of question marks in the outfield. Is Lewis going to be healthy enough to play regularly. Is JK going to build on his September last year. How much will Haniger play the field (where he’s a liability) vs DH? When will JRod be ready and will he struggle early similar to JK. Yes, especially since Winker and even Mitch, as you note, are more DH types.

I like the team but would have added at least another TOR pitcher
JD has been vocal about wanting another top half of the rotation starter. Let’s hope he’s still working the phone lines on that one. Montas and Manaea are still out there for the picking and we have the assets available to make it happen. I guess the obvious question is, would the A’s be open to trading either of them to a division rival. What I definitely don't want is for the M's to pick up a back of the rotation "innings eater". That's obviously not going to help put us over the top. That's what losing teams do (which is probably what we will end up doing). Agree, JD has made many trades with the A's. Don't see it as a roadblock.

Bottom line, while I love the Ray and Winker deals, I feel like JD and the M’s ownership group has not fulfilled their promises to their long-suffering fans of doing whatever it takes to win, and we deserve better. If this is our final roster going into the regular season, it’s not enough to make us legitimate contenders which they’ve wanted us all to believe. Maybe they’re just waiting for the stars to come to them “with hat in hand” because we’ve been such a great organization all those years and everyone is dying to play for us. :!: :!: :!:

Once again, as a loyal and diehard fan of this team from their inception, I feel cheated and lied to. I'm just hoping they're not done. JD does like to keep everything close to the vest. So do I brother but not surprised in the least. My only surprise is that they signed a top 10 FA.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:56 pm

Even Correa could be a possible deadline deal given the parameters of his deal.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:56 pm
Yeah it's possible.

I really have no idea what the Twins are doing. It's like they're trying to go for it with a roster that just proved they can't go for it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:28 pm

Sewald triples his salary. Actually only got $438k last season because he didn't arrive until May.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:31 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:58 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:56 pm
Yeah it's possible.

I really have no idea what the Twins are doing. It's like they're trying to go for it with a roster that just proved they can't go for it.
They are projected to win 88 games vs. 86 for us. It the Rockies that are insane.
fang.JPG
fang.JPG (62.23 KiB) Viewed 599 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:39 pm

Larry gaslighting lol.
dt

Case_Of_The_Runs

Post by Case_Of_The_Runs » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:39 pm
Larry gaslighting lol.
Q. Did you hear the joke about gaslighting?

A. Yes, you have.

Q. Did you hear the M's swung the bats better yesterday?

A. My hovercraft is full of eels.