Re: Breaking: Ohtani with a torn UCL, won't pitch, might not DH

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:29 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:11 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:20 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:10 pm

So you just don’t want to sign big named players ever then.
You think if they signed one of those mega-deals Stanton wouldn't be going cheaper at other positions?
The Mariners didn't have Ohtani and he gave the yellow light for the Jerry to trade for Wong, Hummel and sign Pollock, La Stella. He's going to force Jerry to sign cheap players regardless... so might as well take the jump at a superstar if Jerry is going to dumpster dive anyways.
I think that had more to do with Jerry being unable to sign any halfway decent FA position player.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:36 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:11 pm
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:20 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:10 pm

So you just don’t want to sign big named players ever then.
You think if they signed one of those mega-deals Stanton wouldn't be going cheaper at other positions?
The Mariners didn't have Ohtani and he gave the yellow light for the Jerry to trade for Wong, Hummel and sign Pollock, La Stella. He's going to force Jerry to sign cheap players regardless... so might as well take the jump at a superstar if Jerry is going to dumpster dive anyways.
Yep, this season he spent well over $30M on the trash heap. Can probably get Ohtani for that now and have 3 extra roster spaces for internal options...
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:51 pm

Wow. that is really crappy news. Historical ball player. No guarantees in this game!

Whew. The ultimate excuse now for Jerry and co. not to acquire (pay for) him.

Here's to the miracles of science. Hopefully they can put him back together.

Maybe he can do a Verlander. That guy gets hurt and just keeps coming back stronger.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:50 pm

Ohtani might not get the $60M he was on track to get, but he is still going to get $50M+/10 years for his bat/RF/DH and the possibility to return as a SP or perhaps a setup or closer pitcher. If I'm Dipoto, I wouldn't put my eggs in this basket, especially if the handle keeps falling off.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:59 pm

Absolutely zero reason to back off because of this injury. Pay Ohtani as a hitter and put options in the contract that pay him more if he is successful as a pitcher. And forget the “we can’t pay that much for a DH because WAR” BS since whatever you lose by not having him in the field will be offset by the increase in attendance he brings in. Besides, the guy is an athlete, and if his pitching days are over does anyone doubt he could play the OF or 1B? But the Mariners are gonna Mariner, so we will end up with the next version of Wong Pollock and LaStella along with some half assed “we tried” nonsense from Jerry…

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:03 pm

Ohtani added to the current group would be perfect.

We don't even need him as a pitcher.

And the rest of the players are so versatile that they don't need to spend any time at DH anyways.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:20 pm

Hell, this is honestly great news for the M's. Cheapens the cost and the M's are one of a few teams who can be patient if he needs time to come back and pitch.

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Meanwhile in Houston the fans out on suicide watch due to the Sox 11-0 drubbing backed by Bello
Last edited by desbcoach on Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:13 pm

30 million a year, then add 100K for each inning pitched.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

TraderGary

Post by TraderGary » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:01 pm
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:48 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:03 pm

His price tag just went down by at least 50%. If he can't pitch he is just a DH. A damn good DH but the value of him filling two roster spots in elite historic fashion and the allure and mystic that it brings is up in smoke...
I'm talking about before this latest injury happened. A team like the Mariners can't put that many eggs in one basket.
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:01 pm

Sign him. DH next season, then he can pitch in 2025. Mariners can handle signing him and not have him pitch next year. Still worth signing for 400 million over 10 years
You're insane.
What would he be worth as a hitter? Judge got 40 million a year. He’ll help the team and still bring that much in for the owners for marketability. If he doesn’t pitch, put him at 1B or RF. If he pitches again it’s a bonus
I agree.

Man I feel bad for him. He's my favorite player in the game right now, and a great ambassador for the sport. A true unicorn if there ever was one.

M's would be stupid not to make a run at him even with the pitching uncertainty. And if there was one player I would put my money on making a complete comeback, it would be Ohtani. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't pitch again in 2025 and beyond.