Re: Stanton on Root Sports

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:53 pm

Pharmabro wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:04 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:22 pm
btw what the hell is Catie Griggs doing as President? All I can see is more bells and whistles around the M's in-game entertainment. Things like the lights turning out for the "firemen" of the bullpen and the strikeout horn. You would've thought a businesswoman would have jumped on the TV problem and told ownership that the best approach is to continue to put a top quality product on the field so households say "we have to be able to watch the M's"

That's my dad. He doesn't watch a ton of games, but he wants to be able to when he wants to. He has abstained from cord-cutting just to be able to have access to Root.
It is a massive F up. Griggs came from Atlanta fire MSL team. Are they even televised??? LOL
I think she was linked to the massive investment in those dumb ass luxury boxes. 50 f-in million for the 1/10 of 1 percenters.
Yep:
The ‘Jack Nicholson’ Experience
Can Catie Griggs revive the Mariners? “Heck no,” Griggs says. “But I’m hopeful Catie Griggs plus a great team might be able.”

Stanton has confidence. “Catie turned Atlanta into a soccer town,” he says.

During her time with United FC—an expansion franchise in 2017—the club led the league in attendance, averaging more than 40,000 fans per game, according to Soccer Stadium Digest, a website that tracks MLS. The team won the MLS Cup in 2018, and that accelerated fan interest. The challenge was increasing ticket revenue when the team, owned by billionaire Home Depot cofounder Arthur Blank, moved into the $1 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The strategy: create premium tickets Griggs labeled the “Jack Nicholson” experience. The concept mimics NBA courtside seats, where Nicholson prowled for years. In the soccer version, $1,000 seats are located on the field and include wait service. In Atlanta, Griggs explains, “people have style and like to be visible.” In Seattle, she says, “it’s about finding those places no different than the Nicholson seats. … How do we get really disciplined about understanding the various people who make up the market?”
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:39 pm

Put a woman in power and she starts decorating....

🤦‍♂️

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:48 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:39 pm
Put a woman in power and she starts decorating....

🤦‍♂️
:lol: Imagine what kind of lunatic would pay $1000 to watch soccer. :lol:
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:11 pm
This was my exact initial point. Stanton is a complete idiot to enter in an agreement with Comcast which allowed them to do this and not be required to share the additional revenues.
They should have some agreement but it's more complicated than that. It depends on the number of people that decide to cut the Comcast cable.
I am using these numbers to make the math easier.

Let's say that Comcast makes a gross margin of 20%, and that they charge people $208.50/mo. Let's also say Comcast has 1 million subscribers.

They would hafe a gross margin of $41.7 million/mo. If they raise the rates so that they lose 10% (100,000) of their subscribers. Their new profit margin would be 0.9 million times ($200/mo. times 20% = ) $40/mo. or $36 million/mo. They would lose $5.17/mo.

Let's also say that 0.5 million subscribers get an add-on. Comcast would have to make a gross margin of 5.17 million/0.5 million or $10.34/mo. to make up for that. So their gross margin for RSNW would have to go from 20% of $8.50 = $1.70, to $10.34 per month.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm

There is a great possibility that the M's replace the A's at the bottom of the division in 2024. Will they be able to keep from losing 100 games?

Southpaw773

Post by Southpaw773 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:43 am

Offer Root as a streaming option standalone as a big FU to Comcast

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:48 am

ddraig wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm
There is a great possibility that the M's replace the A's at the bottom of the division in 2024. Will they be able to keep from losing 100 games?
"Right now, the Mariners look like a team that’s likely to win 85-90 games, at least if you believe ZiPS."

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-zips-p ... -mariners/

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:52 am

harmony wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:48 am
ddraig wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm
"Right now, the Mariners look like a team that’s likely to win 85-90 games, at least if you believe ZiPS."

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-zips-p ... -mariners/
85 seems reasonable in my opinion.

I don't think it's that difficult to replace Geno's production at all.

And some bounceback from France could replace Teoscar.

I don't think our offense is much worse and our pitching has a good chance to take a step forward next season.

Plus they don't have Kelenic around killing the vibe.

If they'd add a couple good players they could fight to make the playoffs, then, who knows.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 pm

Before the 2021 season they didn't spend because they didn't think the team was ready to compete despite finishing on a 20-14 run.

Last off season they said they had just spent big on Julio and Castillo.

This season's excuse not to spend is Root Sports situation.

Next season it will be because attendance is "Unexpectedly" down. (Because the didn't spend this off season)

Book it.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:41 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:21 pm
Before the 2021 season they didn't spend because they didn't think the team was ready to compete despite finishing on a 20-14 run.

Last off season they said they had just spent big on Julio and Castillo.

This season's excuse not to spend is Root Sports situation.

Next season it will be because attendance is "Unexpectedly" down. (Because the didn't spend this off season)

Book it.
Yep, like you've said all along, snake oil salesman.

Just tell the latte sipping fans whatever they need to hear to keep them happy enough to keep coming back to the games, and subscribing to Root.

Jerry (and Mather) made huge mistakes by saying stupid things that put them on the hot seat. The way Jerry loved being interviewed nonstop, he was bound to screw up at some point.

I think if Jerry hadn't told people we should be grateful, they'd still be bowing down to him. They'd be calling the Urias move a shrewd money-saving trade, and defending Dipoto to the bitter end when we inevitably end up with another Pollock/La Stella. I'm happy he couldn't shut up, hope this is his make it or break it season.