M's second most profitable franchise in MLB in 2023

Seattle or Bust

Re: M's second most profitable franchise in MLB in 2023

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:45 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:41 am
Yeah, because it's the first week of the season. It could be indicative of who the team is or it could be a bad week of baseball, we shall see
No, it's not because it's the first week of the season.

It's because this GM can't put an adept offense together.

How many times does he have to prove it? How many more Jesse Winkers, AJ Pollocks, Kolten Wongs need to come in here and ruin their careers before it's agreed upon that this is uniquely a Mariner thing under Jerry Dipoto and Scott Servais?

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 am

How does the performance of the offense this first 7 games compare to previous seasons where the Mariners played their first 7 games at home?

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:11 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:59 am
How does the performance of the offense this first 7 games compare to previous seasons where the Mariners played their first 7 games at home?
They've never started out this bad. It's the worst start offensively by far in at least the last 20 years and probably stretching back to the 80's considering how good the O's of the 90's were. The 1990 Mariners put up 22 runs in their first 7 games despite being shut out 3 times in that span :lol:

Even the 2010 M's which were historically terrible offensively put up more runs through their first 7. Many teams started out 1-6, 2-5 and outscored whatever the fuck it was we just witnessed. The only team that was sort of close was the 2017 M's, but they put up 9 runs in their 7th game.

The only team who has had a hot start in like the last 20 years was the 2019 team who started the year in Japan absolutely mashing. Unfortunately it was a team that was purposefully designed to crash and burn and its components be traded off.

You would be hard pressed to find a worse 7-game stretch in team history if we're being honest. I mean this is how pathetic what we just watched was.
Last edited by Seattle or Bust on Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:17 am

Here's a fun stat... the 1998 Mariners put up 59 runs through their first 7 games and were 3-4.

Imagine if this current M's management could build anything close to that offensively.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:02 am

I believe Polanco and Garver are better hitters than they have shown so far. Jrod, Crawford Raleigh are better hitters. On the other hand, I'm not nesssarily buying Haniger and Frances starts, really don't know how it's going to settle in. Would those guys hitting better make them a good team, take more than that. I think the defense could be a bigger concern than the offense. The offense could come around but you're pretty much stuck with your defense. That's something I'd call Dipoto on. Seems to me when you're building around superior pitching you want to couple it with a strong defense. Dipoto really doesn't seem to value defense very highly. That negates the pitching.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:30 am

Hate to say it but I could see them missing Kelenic. Not that he's going to bust out. But the defense and he could end up hitting as well as who the mariners have slated for left field this season. I know everyone was happy to see him go. I can see the Braves being pretty happy with the trade. All the mariners got was salary relief

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:48 am

Interesting, Mariners are off to like the worst start in ML history and are ranked ninth in ESPN power rankings.

This is a little concerning just after throwing my support behind Polanco.
9. Seattle Mariners
Record: 3-4

Previous ranking: 10

Perhaps the Mariners' splashiest offseason pickup was the addition of former All-Star infielder Jorge Polanco, acquired in a trade with Minnesota. The early returns were ... not great. Polanco's Seattle career started in ice-cold fashion as he managed just three singles and a walk over his first six games for the Mariners while striking out more than 40% of the time. It's only six games, of course, but it would be better if Polanco started hitting sooner rather than later, as these numbers are either an acceleration or an exaggeration of trends that appeared to crop up last year for him with the Twins. Perhaps the worst part about it is that in each of Seattle's first six games, manager Scott Servais penciled Polanco into the 3-hole as protection for Julio Rodriguez at No. 2. -- Doolittle
It's like everybody always complains about lack of respect, this is like too much respect lol

They have the Astros in eighth

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:55 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:54 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:03 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:22 pm

And we're already shaming fans for expressing frustration over the usual shitty offense themes.

You would think this guy would learn something from touting the "it's early" nonsense until the All Star break last year.
Ah the racist card no less. That Joker blocked me a few months ago...Him and his Goon Patnode are quite the duo.
While I'm sure you're aware that I'm openly left-leaning... this is one thing I really wish people who are left-leaning would stop doing. Maybe some people would look at the fact they are hispanic baseball players as a reason for laziness (and it would be stupid and racist), but the vast majority of people don't do that. Highlighting the terrible reaction of a very small sect of people has the affect of lumping those who are simply frustrated with the lack of effort in with those people... he should be more careful differentiating that in his tweet.

It's unfair and a silly way to go about virtue signaling.
Yes, agree on all of that. Well said.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:36 am

This guy has the answer to a better experience at T Mobile
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:43 am

Why not just open a Safeway at Safeco so people can take care of their shopping during the extended periods where nothing (good) is happening on the field.