Re: Ford and Locklear

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 5:23 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 pm
Excuse me, that's later in the season. I'm saying teams set there rosters coming out of spring training. Generally they will stick to it the first two months, go with their decisions. I don't see Ford viewed as a hot item, he was passed over before the season began. We'll see what teams think of him now.

It's interesting the marlins and Padres making roster decisions this early, it's unusual
The Marlins are 9-25. There's no recovering from that. They don't have the talent.

They weren't going to extend him and he's a free agent in '26. Get rid of him while he still has some trade value. He provides no value for a team that knows it's not making the playoffs. He's particularly less value for a team that operates on a budget when he's going to be due around $10 million next year in his final year of arbitration. You have to wonder if they were shopping him in the off season... likely were.

In cutting its losses... Miami got 3x top 15 prospects in the Padres system back and cut payroll.

Seems smart to me.
I didn't say it wasn't smart, I said unusual. How many May trades can you list
I dono.

But I can count on fewer hands how often players recover from Wong or Pollock like starts. Meaning that it's complete and utter silliness to give Nick Martini the DH position in Cinci when he was in an even lower place than Ford all of last year and in Korea the year prior.

You always like to chalk it up as "this is just what teams do... that's baseball..." We disagree with that mind numbingly stupid way of doing things.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:31 pm

We don't disagree, I'm talking about Fords chances of landing a ML contract at this point in the season. Nothing is set in stone, but it's unusual for teams to make roster moves this early, we agree on that don't we? It's not strategy, it's reality. . I think it would have been easier for Ford to land a ML job before the season started but he couldn't do it. Now it's May and rosters are set. But maybe he will, we shall see.

We could make a bet. You think he will land one, I'll say he ends up back in AAA. There could be a injury situation but I think chances are he ends up back in AAA

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 5:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:20 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:16 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 pm
Excuse me, that's later in the season. I'm saying teams set there rosters coming out of spring training. Generally they will stick to it the first two months, go with their decisions. I don't see Ford viewed as a hot item, he was passed over before the season began. We'll see what teams think of him now.

It's interesting the marlins and Padres making roster decisions this early, it's unusual
The Marlins are 9-25. There's no recovering from that. They don't have the talent.

They weren't going to extend him and he's a free agent in '26. Get rid of him while he still has some trade value. He provides no value for a team that knows it's not making the playoffs. He's particularly less value for a team that operates on a budget when he's going to be due around $10 million next year in his final year of arbitration. You have to wonder if they were shopping him in the off season... likely were.

In cutting its losses... Miami got 3x top 15 prospects in the Padres system back and cut payroll.

Seems smart to me.
I didn't say it wasn't smart, I said unusual. How many May trades can you list.
May trades are rare but guys get sent up and down all season long. Saying a team won't be willing to demote a negative WAR DH with options because it is too early is silly.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 5:34 pm

Sure, a dh with options. I doubt that's very common. Again, let's see what happens, does Ford land a ML job

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 5:34 pm

Yankees have an opening
dt

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat May 04, 2024 5:37 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 5:31 pm
We don't disagree, I'm talking about Fords chances of landing a ML contract at this point in the season. Nothing is set in stone, but it's unusual for teams to make roster moves this early, we agree on that don't we? It's not strategy, it's reality. . I think it would have been easier for Ford to land a ML job before the season started but he couldn't do it. Now it's May and rosters are set. But maybe he will, we shall see.

We could make a bet. You think he will land one, I'll say he ends up back in AAA. There could be a injury situation but I think chances are he ends up back in AAA
I don't know why he didn't. Right now the median team OPS is .699... Offenses are around the league are pretty much trash.

He hit .455/.486/.727/1.213 with 3 homers in 33 Spring Training at bats.

In a sport so starved of offensive talent... it makes no sense.

I don't know if an MLB team will sign him. If I'm the A's... I call him up right now and add him to their roster. But something about the stubbornness of GM's and owners is literally keeping them from signing a guy who had a 120 OPS+ last year while Ryan Noda hangs a .440 OPS and -0.7 WAR at 1B.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 6:11 pm

Yeah, with 30 dh spots now I thought he would land a contract too. I'll give you my opinion, particularly since you say I never have one lol. I think I'm loaded with opinions. Often wrong but never in doubt. Anyway, I think it's a lack of versatility. They can like his bat but not enough to sign hom as a dh only player, and first base isn't special enough. He's seen as AAAA, if he could play some outfield we aren't having this conversation, he's in the majors.

What's interesting is the Mr versatility guy Dipoto goes and signs basically a dh only guy, go figure. And he still wasn't interested in Ford

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm

And Ford didn't screw up by asking for his release. I'm figuring he could go back in a week or two and tbe Reds would give him his job back, he'd he'd probably go to another organisation. He took a shot, again I think it was aimed at the Reds. He's got an agent, they are strategizing it Hus agent would be contact with other clubs. He would be gauging interest. Maybe there's interest and that's why he did it. I'm often wrong.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 6:19 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:11 pm
Yeah, with 30 dh spots now I thought he would land a contract too. I'll give you my opinion, particularly since you say I never have one lol. I think I'm loaded with opinions. Often wrong but never in doubt. Anyway, I think it's a lack of versatility. They can like his bat but not enough to sign hom as a dh only player, and first base isn't special enough. He's seen as AAAA, if he could play some outfield we aren't having this conversation, he's in the majors.

What's interesting is the Mr versatility guy Dipoto goes and signs basically a dh only guy, go figure. And he still wasn't interested in Ford
Yeah don't let Garver catch. Can't risk him getting injured. How would we survive without that .500 OPS bat in the lineup every day.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat May 04, 2024 6:23 pm

btw what hell is up with all the power outages.

2023 and 2024 HRs

Julio 31/1
Acuna 41/2
Torkelson 31/0
Raley 19/0
Torres 25/1
Carroll 25/1

TotaL 172/5
dt