Trade deadline poll

Who would you most like to see the M’s acquire by the trade deadline?

Pete “Polar Bear” Alonso
13%
Vladimir “Vlad the Impaler” Guerrero Jr.
No votes
Luis “La Pantera” Robert Jr.
13%
Brent “I Need a Nickname” Rooker
56%
Nothing - stand pat.
No votes
Other (please specify)
19%

Total votes: 16

D-train

Re: Trade deadline poll

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:45 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:31 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:45 am
M's need more contact, but also need more thunder in their lineup. They could also use another high end arm for the back end of the pen. Mason Miller would benefit this team a whole lot more than say Luis Robert would.
One can only dream.

For the last few weeks I have been trying to envision a scenario where the M’s pulled off a blockbuster trade for Rooker and Miller. It’s fantasy, but it would propel us from World Series long shots to serious contenders.

Even if we could afford the asking price, I am not sure the A’s would help out division rivals that much. Like I say, I’m allowed to dream.
Sorry, but I find it comical that people think professional businessmen are so petty and spiteful that that give more of a fuck about not helping another team in their division than helping their own team long term. They aren't Junior high girls that don't want their best friend to go to Prom with their ex boy friend FFS. Jerry has done multiple trades with the division "rivals", no reason to think it won't happen again. Hopefully it won't be another Abe Toro or Ryon Healy.
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:59 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:45 am

Sorry, but I find it comical that people think professional businessmen are so petty and spiteful that that give more of a fuck about not helping another team in their division than helping their own team long term. They aren't Junior high girls that don't want their best friend to go to Prom with their ex boy friend FFS. Jerry has done multiple trades with the division "rivals", no reason to think it won't happen again. Hopefully it won't be another Abe Toro or Ryon Healy.
Well, I wasn’t thinking about it from an emotional perspective. I was thinking about it from a purely business perspective.

What I meant was the trade would help the M’s significantly over the next several seasons (both are controllable for at least 4 or 5 years). They aren’t rentals. So the A’s may be contending again during the time that the M’s are still conceivably fielding 2 of the A’s current best players.

I understand this historical norm is less of an issue these days (this article dives into the math and calculates that it makes slightly more sense to trade outside your division, but not overwhelmingly so: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news ... -division/ ). But for this type of deal, I can see the A’s preferring to trade to someone not in the AL West, all else being equal.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:03 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:59 am
D-train wrote:

Well, I wasn’t thinking about it from an emotional perspective. I was thinking about it from a purely business perspective.

What I meant was the trade would help the M’s significantly over the next several seasons (both are controllable for at least 4 or 5 years). They aren’t rentals. So the A’s may be contending again during the time that the M’s are still conceivably fielding 2 of the A’s current best players.

I understand this historical norm is less of an issue these days (this article dives into the math and calculates that it makes slightly more sense to trade outside your division, but not overwhelmingly so: https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news ... -division/ ). But for this type of deal, I can see the A’s preferring to trade to someone not in the AL West, all else being equal.
What the heck are you doing up at the crack of dawn, my friend??? :) Yes, I agree that trading Miller would likely be counterproductive for them but they shouldn't care about Rooker.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:06 pm

btw Rooker has been in a death spiral the past month.
Screenshot 2024-06-19 8.05.59 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-06-19 8.05.59 AM.png (26.86 KiB) Viewed 106 times
dt

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:03 pm
What the heck are you doing up at the crack of dawn, my friend??? :) Yes, I agree that trading Miller would likely be counterproductive for them but they shouldn't care about Rooker.
Hahahahaa

I’m actually in Michigan right now. We bought a second home for our son to live in and rent while he saves for his own home. It has a fully furnished basement, so we are spending the month of June here visiting. My family lives close, too - so it works out perfectly. Except that we are in EDT which I am learning sucks if you want to watch Mariners home games. :(

My stepson got us tickets to see the Tigers play the ChiSox this weekend as a belated Father’s Day gift. I have zero skin in this game, but a day at the ballpark is always a good thing.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:19 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:09 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:03 pm
Hahahahaa

I’m actually in Michigan right now. We bought a second home for our son to live in and rent while he saves for his own home. It has a fully furnished basement, so we are spending the month of June here visiting. My family lives close, too - so it works out perfectly. Except that we are in EDT which I am learning sucks if you want to watch Mariners home games. :(

My stepson got us tickets to see the Tigers play the ChiSox this weekend as a belated Father’s Day gift. I have zero skin in this game, but a day at the ballpark is always a good thing.
Yes I have read that it is challenging watching M's game is in the EDT zone. lol btw Sunrise in Boston is 48 minutes earlier than Michigan due to the Longitude difference despite being in the same time zone. 5:07 am vs. 5:55 am. I think most people are more focused on latitude but longitude is huge as well.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Big_Maple wrote:
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:45 am
M's need more contact, but also need more thunder in their lineup. They could also use another high end arm for the back end of the pen. Mason Miller would benefit this team a whole lot more than say Luis Robert would.
One can only dream.

For the last few weeks I have been trying to envision a scenario where the M’s pulled off a blockbuster trade for Rooker and Miller. It’s fantasy, but it would propel us from World Series long shots to serious contenders.

Even if we could afford the asking price, I am not sure the A’s would help out division rivals that much. Like I say, I’m allowed to dream.
I don't think it's really rivalry between businessmen, though some owners can be pretty petty, in some cases it would be. I think the issue is more public relations, the amount of times you play, and thats changed now . Believe the concern with a popular player, a star, the number of times he's back at your field, and you at his. Having him doing heroic things to beat you, reminding fans you traded him. The best trade had been to the other league, never see the guy again

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:18 pm

Red Sox traded Verdugo to the Yankees last year, it was the eighth trade between the team in the last 55 years. Thats what you you're trying to avoid

Alex Verdugo made his presence known upon his return to Fenway Park. The former Boston Red Sox outfielder sent the first pitch he saw from Brayan Bello over the wall in center field.

He celebrated all around the bases, and his new teammates joined him from the opposing dugout. The Red Sox didn't take it lightly.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Big_Maple wrote:

One can only dream.

I don't think it's really rivalry between businessmen, though some owners can be pretty petty, in some cases it would be. I think the issue is more public relations, the amount of times you play, and thats changed now . Believe the concern with a popular player, a star, the number of times he's back at your field, and you at his. Having him doing heroic things to beat you, reminding fans you traded him. The best trade had been to the other league, never see the guy again
Sure. I bet the Mets wish they would have traded Seaver to the AL and would have never seen him again unless it was to the Red Sox but now there is a bit of interleague play I have read. I doubt the 2700 fans at the A's games will be too traumatized if the Legendary A Brent Rooker hits a HR against them in an M's jersey.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:24 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:06 pm
btw Rooker has been in a death spiral the past month.

Screenshot 2024-06-19 8.05.59 AM.png
Interesting, what I was concerned about, his strikeout rate is up to nearly 50%