Please Castillo Save our Souls Game thread

DavidGee24

Re: Please Castillo Save our Souls Game thread

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:29 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:20 am
Pharmabro wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:56 pm
We had twice the baserunners and got doubled up on the scoreboard. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
More evidence that OBP is meaningless if you don't have the SLG behind them to get an extra base hit and drive them in.

Annointing France the 1B after one decent season and then acting like DH is a revolving door for mediocre players to "rest", when there were many quality bats available on the market in the offseason was another in a long line of mistakes by Dipsauce.

We have no thump. Our rookie led the team in OPS because Dipoto went with "good enough" everywhere he could have upgraded.
This ^^^. Guys like Suzuki, Schwarber, Pederson, Bell could have been pretty much in our pockets. Instead DiPoto thought that JK, Lewis and Santana were better options. There's no guarantee that we'll be back here next year and this could have been our one shot.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:37 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:43 pm
"we should just walk alvarez every time..." Thats why you don't.
If we got the same results last night as they got tonight after the walk, we would have won.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:53 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:37 am
Juliooooo wrote:
If we got the same results last night as they got tonight after the walk, we would have won.
Yeah, well you should definitely walk him in situations where Astros can take a lead with one swing. Bregman is good, but doesn't destroy the souls of opposing fans like Alvarez does.

In related news... Tough climb when Munoz/Sewald/Ray all sucking at the same time.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

maoling

Post by maoling » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:03 am

I think we win the next two and it is back to Houston to break their hearts and party on their turf.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:11 am

Millikin wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:53 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:37 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Yeah, well you should definitely walk him in situations where Astros can take a lead with one swing. Bregman is good, but doesn't destroy the souls of opposing fans like Alvarez does.

In related news... Tough climb when Munoz/Sewald/Ray all sucking at the same time.
It would have been bases loaded with Pena on second, likely tied the game.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 am

I think we have a shot. Don’t underestimate home field advantage - Seattle is going to be louder than a Seahawks game. If we win the next game at home, I think we win the second one, too. Then we have some inertia, which also counts for a lot. We come back to Houston fired up like we were for the first game after winning in Toronto, and we stand a legitimate chance of taking it all.

Maybe we start a petition: walk Alvarez. No matter what inning, no matter how many outs, no matter who’s on base. Walk, rinse, repeat. Do not let that beast swing a bat, ever. Who cares how much we get booed. Sign it and send it to Scotty.

And.

Believe.

Lamda

Post by Lamda » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:10 am

This series has been irritating obviously. I will say though - a nod of respect to Alvarez. That guy is a big game performer. He's dialed in right now. You make a mistake and he crushes it. Our guys right now are fouling off mistakes or watching them go right down the middle of the plate cause they were guessing on something else. Was painful to watch Julio foul off that hanging curve in the 7th that was just asking to be a 2run homer.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 am

Agreed, it's not the World Series, but they're probably the best team we'll face in the playoffs. We've kept it closer than most people probably expected.

Let's get back to Houston tied 2-2 and see where the chips fall.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:27 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 am
I think we have a shot. Don’t underestimate home field advantage - Seattle is going to be louder than a Seahawks game. If we win the next game at home, I think we win the second one, too. Then we have some inertia, which also counts for a lot. We come back to Houston fired up like we were for the first game after winning in Toronto, and we stand a legitimate chance of taking it all.

Maybe we start a petition: walk Alvarez. No matter what inning, no matter how many outs, no matter who’s on base. Walk, rinse, repeat. Do not let that beast swing a bat, ever. Who cares how much we get booed. Sign it and send it to Scotty.

And.

Believe.
It will be interesting to see who they pitch. Will they go with their 4th starter to save Verlander for ALCS/game 5, or try to win in game 4 if Ms win 3?
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:30 am

I wonder how the collective record of the Mariners would have changed if they had simply chosen to walk Mike Trout and Yordan Alvarez in every AB they've ever faced em.

What this series is boiling down to is that the Astros have all-world talent in their lineup... they have Yordan Alvarez, we're praying that Carlos Santana and and his .692 OPS are going to overcome the dude opposite him with a 1.019 OPS... There's a slim chance that it happens, so you always bet on the proven bet.

The M's should finally be in a place where they make REAL roster additions from a positional standpoint so we're not rolling guys out there with sub .200 avg's anymore.

You want to compete with Houston? You want to scare them? Aaron Judge would do that. Carlos Santana does not.

And I'm not begrudging Santana... that's just the truth.