Re: Please Castillo Save our Souls Game thread

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:51 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:21 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:07 am
Moore with an OPS against RHP this season of .714
Kelenic with an OPS against RHP this season of .587

and he's pinch hitting that rooster looking mf'er in for Moore just because he's left handed.

Dipoto and Servais are idiots. They've stuck to their empty guns far too long.
Same reason he brought in Ray instead of Swanson. A pure handedness move. They are literally going with 1970s decision making processes...they could eliminate their entire analytics department and hire a 17 year old girl right out of high school to just pull up and print out splits stats and hand them to them and they would make more informed decisions than they are now.
I don't think it was. Alvarez worse stats are against lefties sinker. He's not very good against the righties split finger, but Swanson has to get to that pitch, and Alvarez is hitting. 700+ slugging against the 4 seem fastball. If he goes up there and pitches all split finger, tough to expect Swanson to get ahead in the count and use that pitch effectively. It's definitely risky the way he hits the 4 seam fastball
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RyanDivish/status/1 ... mqjfULOemQ[/tweet]

Now Ray has struggled with his execution, and that's reasonable, but there's probably more to it than to say they just went L/L matchup.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:08 am

You could be right but I think you are giving them too much credit. Why do they PH Moore vs. RHPs when he has a superior stats than the guys PHing for him?

Ok this is encouraging but wtf numbers is he looking at? That Ray throws sinkers? How about the fact that RR has got shelled for a month and a half? He asked a guy that has completely failed to execute since mid summer to execute vs. the second best hitter in baseball.
“Yordan Álvarez is very good left on left,” Servais said. “We know that going into it. I’m looking at the numbers that are in front of me, I trust them, and what plays into that is not just the handedness of the pitcher, but what that hitter hits, what that pitcher fires out there. Now you’ve got to get the ball, you’ve got to execute, you’ve got to get the ball in the right spots, and hopefully it leads you to the result you’re looking for.”
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:09 am

And they he says that going with Kirby worked out great. Yeah, maybe because he hasn't been terrible since forever.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 am

Also, Alvarez is a perfect example of why you put your best hitter 3rd in the lineup. Might not get quite as many AB over the season, but imagine this series of he doesn't have pena getting on base ahead of him.

Hopefully we can get a good leadoff hitter and move Julio down in the lineup a bit.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:11 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 am
Also, Alvarez is a perfect example of why you put your best hitter 3rd in the lineup. Might not get quite as many AB over the season, but imagine this series of he doesn't have pena getting on base ahead of him.

Hopefully we can get a good leadoff hitter and move Julio down in the lineup a bit.
Yeah agree totally. They have to get one of the 3 FA SSs imo. I don't like Dansby.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:14 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:08 am
You could be right but I think you are giving them too much credit. Why do they PH Moore vs. RHPs when he has a superior stats than the guys PHing for him?

Ok this is encouraging but wtf numbers is he looking at? That Ray throws sinkers? How about the fact that RR has got shelled for a month and a half? He asked a guy that has completely failed to execute since mid summer to execute vs. the second best hitter in baseball.
“Yordan Álvarez is very good left on left,” Servais said. “We know that going into it. I’m looking at the numbers that are in front of me, I trust them, and what plays into that is not just the handedness of the pitcher, but what that hitter hits, what that pitcher fires out there. Now you’ve got to get the ball, you’ve got to execute, you’ve got to get the ball in the right spots, and hopefully it leads you to the result you’re looking for.”
That's a different argument, just saying they aren't doing a simple L vs L decision. And you can't ignore how he hits 4 seam fastballs against righties, which is why Swanson isn't an automatic easy decision. Regardless of what you decide though, yordan can beat you. Castillo put a 98 mph sinker off the plate and Alvarez still hit it out.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:41 am

Yeah but the "he hits four seam fastballs off righties" argument is weak. How many of those four seem fastballs were from the guy with the lowest FIP out of 178 pitchers in the American League??? They have literally refused to use the most effective pitcher in the entire league this entire post season. Wtf numbers tell them that is a good idea?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=19,a
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:41 am
Yeah but the "he hits four seam fastballs off righties" argument is weak. How many of those four seem fastballs were from the guy with the lowest FIP out of 178 pitchers in the American League??? They have literally refused to use the most effective pitcher in the entire league this entire post season. Wtf numbers tell them that is a good idea?

Again, the point is, there is a process and a reason behind what they did. There is some sense to what they did. There simply weren't great options anywhere, as Alvarez showed us yesterday against Castillo.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:41 am

Again, the point is, there is a process and a reason behind what they did. There is some sense to what they did. There simply weren't great options anywhere, as Alvarez showed us yesterday against Castillo.
Pitching a guy with the lowest FIP in the American league was a better option than pitching a guy that had been getting shelled ever since Labor day. Full stop.

The fact that Alvarez might be the greatest hitter since Roided up Bonds and the fact that Swanson wasn't the PERFECT solution is completely irrelevant to the fact that they didn't go with the guy most likely to get him out.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:51 pm

And then last night they go back to the guy that gave up a double and a HR to Alvarez and Bregmen 2 days earlier to pitch to Alvarez and Bregman while Swanson continues to rot in the Pen...
dt