Former Mariners tracker

Big_Maple

Re: Former Mariners tracker

Post by Big_Maple » Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:46 pm

I don’t think being an asshole was THE reason he got traded. It may have been part of it, but no one trades a top prospect just because the guy’s a bag of dicks.

There are likely a lot of factors in jettisoning Kelenic. Dumping salary was a - likely THE - main focus of last offseason. This gave them a chance to offload a bunch of money they would have to pay to a guy who likely would never play a major league game for the M’s ever again.

Maybe after working with Kelenic for 2 years the coaches and managers didn’t see major league potential in the guy. Maybe they found him to be uncoachable and not just unlikeable. If that’s the case, then it looks like they misjudged him. Since coming to the Braves he has gone from a platoon LFer batting at the bottom of the order to a lead off guy playing CF full time. He’s not a hall of famer, much less an All Star yet, but he is batting better than anyone in the M’s roster this season. So yeah - oopsie fucking doopsie, coaching staff.

Maybe Kelenic was begging to be traded. Maybe they really needed Marco out of the rotation. Who knows. But being an asshole was likely one variable in the calculus - not the only one. IMHO.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:04 pm

Kelenic is considered a baseball gym rat, a workaholic. I doubt he's uncoachable. The guy lives and breathes baseball. Terms of being a little bitch, I don't know if the Braves would agree but what do they know about winning baseball.
. With Michael Harris III going to the IL and Ronald Acuña Jr. out for the remainder of the season, the three-year veteran has stepped up, taking on two-new roles for his club. Impressively, he's handling them with ease, showcasing his adaptability and potential in his first season with the Braves.

On Saturday afternoon against the Rays, he went 3-5, including a home run and two singles. The 24-year-old has been a beacon of hope in a season with plenty of injuries, inconsistent offense, and out-of-the-norm baseball play for one of baseball’s best teams in the past five seasons. Thankfully, Kelenic’s work has not just helped them through the rough patches, but it's also boosted the team's morale and sparked a renewed offensive energy.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:18 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:04 pm
Kelenic is considered a baseball gym rat, a workaholic. I doubt he's uncoachable. The guy lives and breathes baseball. Terms of being a little bitch, I don't know if the Braves would agree but what do they know about winning baseball.
I didn’t say he didn’t have a good work ethic. But being a gym rat doesn’t mean you’re coachable. If you think you’re the smartest and most talented guy in the room, you may be prone to shrugging off advice from coaches.

And I was speculating; not stating a fact. My main point was that there could be a dozen reasons for trading Kelenic. Being a bag of dicks was likely just one of them.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:33 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:10 pm
Who knows, what I'm saying is I am willing to wager in the next few seasons fans are going to begin scratching their heads over why dipoto traded kelenic for $15 mil in salary relief. You guys think it's this great trade because he's a little bitch. Okay, I don't think that reason is going to age well. But let's see, I'm generally wrong
Perhaps players in the dugout asked for Kelenic to be traded?

I have never disliked Kelenic. But he did seem a little off.
I will never forget France hazing him with Baby powder to the face. lol Nobody else ever got that treatment...
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:18 pm

Here it is, they seem pretty happy, after a walkoff win

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comme ... _the_face/

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:18 pm
Here it is, they seem pretty happy, after a walkoff win

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/comme ... _the_face/
Show me it ever happening to any other player...Not sure inhaling talcum powder which contains silicon would be my celebratory ritual of choice. lol

Baby powder is commonly made from talc, also known as talcum powder, which is a naturally occurring mineral. Talc is made up of magnesium, silicon,
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jun 29, 2024 10:48 pm

David Ortiz
https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/5/ ... der-shower
Mike Trout
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 17-8%3famp
Francisco Lindor
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/465183 ... standings/
Ortiz and Lindor are more spectacular, Johnsons baby powder is corn starch based now.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:20 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:42 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:08 am
Except Riley is 29 and kelenic is 24
If Dipoto can't replace Kelenic's production going forward, it's on him.

Kelenic is a bitch, I don't care what happens with him, I'm just glad he's gone. Raley plays the game the right way from what I've seen.
The only bitch around here is you. You know jack shit about this game, sitting on your mom's couch making subjective takes on players' attitudes based on how handsome they are or aren't. It's pretty homo to be honest

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:30 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:20 pm
bpj wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:42 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:08 am
Except Riley is 29 and kelenic is 24
If Dipoto can't replace Kelenic's production going forward, it's on him.

Kelenic is a bitch, I don't care what happens with him, I'm just glad he's gone. Raley plays the game the right way from what I've seen.
The only bitch around here is you. You know jack shit about this game, sitting on your mom's couch making subjective takes on players' attitudes based on how handsome they are or aren't. It's pretty homo to be honest

🤡

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:35 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:18 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:04 pm
I didn’t say he didn’t have a good work ethic. But being a gym rat doesn’t mean you’re coachable. If you think you’re the smartest and most talented guy in the room, you may be prone to shrugging off advice from coaches.

And I was speculating; not stating a fact. My main point was that there could be a dozen reasons for trading Kelenic. Being a bag of dicks was likely just one of them.
Yeah, I understand it was speculation. Obviously the money played a part. And there is the aspect that it's who the Braves wanted. I do think he fits their situation nicely. I think dipoto probably felt he was doing kelenic a favor. The opportunity at a fresh start.