Re: Seattle Mariners

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:11 am
rockycola wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:50 pm

Yeah, I thought of that. Maybe learn Santana up on playing 1st and then go with the lesser of two evils or trade one for a 1B. btw White has been terrible with the bat so far. Don't count on him.

dt
From Lookout Landing's 4/25 report:
After missing nearly two weeks due to injury, 1B Evan White Returned to the Arkansas Travelers lineup Wednesday, going 0-5 in his first game back.
That may be the issue can't remember if it was his ribs or back but anything like that can grossly inhibit a good swing and throw one's timing off for a while. We all want him to be wonderful with the bat (like John Olerud), not terrible (like.......well, like a whole lot of garbage we've seen for so long :( ).

RotoWire

White (hip flexor) is on the minor-league injured list at Double-A Arkansas but is progressing well and headed for activation early next week, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports.

White was raking to open the season, as he'd slashed .308/.367/.385 with two doubles and three RBI over his first 29 plate appearances before the injury. The 2017 first-round pick has been on the fast track since joining the organization, and a promotion to Triple-A Tacoma before season's end thus wouldn't be out of the question if his early numbers endure over the long term.
Welcome Donn! His BA and OBP look good but that .385 SLG% for a 1B in AA is about as exciting as Liver flavored jello. Hopefully he turns it up a notch soon.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm

I really dont expect anything from White unless he moves to CF.

We can always be hopeful that a prospect will "develop" power but it doesnt seem to happen all that often. Especially when you're hoping it about a defense first player at a premium power position.

We all wanted Casey Kotchman to become Barry Bonds too.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 5:11 pm

They had no problem moving Dee to CF at the MLB level but I guess moving a light hitting great defensive 1B to CF in the minors is a preposterous notion.

dt
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm
Rocky C.jpg
Funny, I tried to post the same image of Rocky as my avatar but the file was too big (plus I'm a computer/tech idjit! :ugeek: ).

I'll try to move this one over right after I have a cup of your steaming swill avatar. Thank you for and from my hero, dmm!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:11 pm
They had no problem moving Dee to CF at the MLB level but I guess moving a light hitting great defensive 1B to CF in the minors is a preposterous notion.

dt
Yeah, they would probably move him to the corner outfield if anything, which is why it doesnt happen because corner outfielders need bats anyways.

In my opinion his only path to every day MLB time would be CF, which probably won't happen. So, we'll just talk about his bat "coming around" while he becomes a AAAA guy wondering why he never made it :lol:

At least we're not really counting on him at 1B with Vogelbach and Santana needing places to play.

I still think Santana will settle in and be good in LF, but can't give it a full year to come around. Although, defense is one thing I think can improve with repetition, more-so than offense even, imo.

Healy is a bad 3B until he's an ok one until he's a fine one. And if the bat does what bats do in players primes, even a little, hes a pretty valuable piece. Especially next to Seager, given the contracts. Let's hope Healy plays himself into a trade.

Personally I'd put my money on Healy being more valuable in WAR than Seager over the next 4 years. Throw their earnings over that period on top in terms of $/WAR and it wouldn't be close, imo.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Thu May 02, 2019 6:25 pm

rockycola wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm
Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm
Rocky C.jpg
Funny, I tried to post the same image of Rocky as my avatar but the file was too big (plus I'm a computer/tech idjit! :ugeek: ).

I'll try to move this one over right after I have a cup of your steaming swill avatar. Thank you for and from my hero, dmm!
Nice avatar! I picked it for the clouds in the background, reminding me of the Pacific Northwest skies just before they have to close the stadium roof.
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2019 6:28 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm
D-train wrote:

dt
Yeah, they would probably move him to the corner outfield if anything, which is why it doesnt happen because corner outfielders need bats anyways.

In my opinion his only path to every day MLB time would be CF, which probably won't happen. So, we'll just talk about his bat "coming around" while he becomes a AAAA guy wondering why he never made it :lol:

At least we're not really counting on him at 1B with Vogelbach and Santana needing places to play.

I still think Santana will settle in and be good in LF, but can't give it a full year to come around. Although, defense is one thing I think can improve with repetition, more-so than offense even, imo.

Healy is a bad 3B until he's an ok one until he's a fine one. And if the bat does what bats do in players primes, even a little, hes a pretty valuable piece. Especially next to Seager, given the contracts. Let's hope Healy plays himself into a trade.

Personally I'd put my money on Healy being more valuable in WAR than Seager over the next 4 years. Throw their earnings over that period on top in terms of $/WAR and it wouldn't be close, imo.
Just read that Seager will be starting at 3B their first day he is eligible to be activated from the DL in a few weeks.

dt
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu May 02, 2019 6:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:28 pm
bpj wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:23 pm
D-train wrote:

dt

Just read that Seager will be starting at 3B their first day he is eligible to be activated from the DL in a few weeks.

dt
Can't step on Dees toes now that he's playing above terrible.