Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

D-train

Re: Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:38 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:21 am
Hanjag wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:26 am
DavidGee24 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:07 am
Kikuchi was 0.1, he might not even reach 1.1 over the course of his career.

I've got to go with Dunn on regressing too. The only way he can even be moderately successful is if he nibbles and that's really hard to sustain.
I think you are talking BWAR vs FWAR for them. but 1.1 per 162 is really good considering the 6 man vs 5 man.

Just scaling up 60 to 162 for a 6-man in 2021 is a 3 WAR pace and on a 5 man /162 pace you scale that up to 3.5 FWAR.
Remember his fip was in the low 2's and fip is a greater predicter of future ERA than ERA.
1.1 is not good in either respect. One thing that fans mistakenly think is that "replacement player" means "average player", which it doesn't. "Replacement player" actually means "someone who sucks". Your average player over the course of a season will put up a 1.8 bWAR. Over the course of a full season, Kikuchi costs you about 1 1/2 games in the standings more than an average starting pitcher does...for a lot of money.
Boom. And his isn't 24 or 25 either.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Re: Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:49 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:29 am
Lincoln2207 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:54 am
"Anyway, just wanted to talk about actual baseball in the baseball forum for some reason."

Thank you, Julio, what a relief. At the risk of starting up another shit storm, I want to say I'm furious with several of you for dumping on the forum the way you did. In case you haven't noticed, several long-time reliable posters haven't said a word since a very few of you spewed hatred on what is supposed to be a BASEBALL forum. Most noticeable in his absence about all this hateful talk about the virus is the only doctor in the forum, Sexy. Gee, why do you think that is? Maybe it is because what most of you vomited out was ridiculous from a scientific point of view.

It is remarkable to me that people who can be so intelligent about baseball can be so arrogant, ignorant, and stupid about politics. Amazing. Of those who posted about the virus, I think only Darren and Terry know me personally, and I've got to say I am really disappointed in you.

So I welcome a return to our beloved sport.
I am a Pharm D student. I don't know it all but I am running heavy hours to learn. I will say people have a right to be critical of expert opinion firing super-scary stat expectations and being way off the mark.
I hate to pop your bubble but sexy ain’t no Doctor

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:12 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:49 pm
Hanjag wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:29 am
Lincoln2207 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:54 am
"Anyway, just wanted to talk about actual baseball in the baseball forum for some reason."

Thank you, Julio, what a relief. At the risk of starting up another shit storm, I want to say I'm furious with several of you for dumping on the forum the way you did. In case you haven't noticed, several long-time reliable posters haven't said a word since a very few of you spewed hatred on what is supposed to be a BASEBALL forum. Most noticeable in his absence about all this hateful talk about the virus is the only doctor in the forum, Sexy. Gee, why do you think that is? Maybe it is because what most of you vomited out was ridiculous from a scientific point of view.

It is remarkable to me that people who can be so intelligent about baseball can be so arrogant, ignorant, and stupid about politics. Amazing. Of those who posted about the virus, I think only Darren and Terry know me personally, and I've got to say I am really disappointed in you.

So I welcome a return to our beloved sport.
I am a Pharm D student. I don't know it all but I am running heavy hours to learn. I will say people have a right to be critical of expert opinion firing super-scary stat expectations and being way off the mark.
I hate to pop your bubble but sexy ain’t no Doctor
:)
dt

Petert

Post by Petert » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 am
I think Moore and Sheffield have earned 2B and SP4. Lewis could drop off even worse and survive just fine in CF, he's an easy Yes on getting another season.

Dunn still seems like he might be a fine 7th inning guy, but didn't earn a spot when we should be contending, imo 🤷‍♂️
Nothing about Dunn leads me to believe he is a reliever in today's game. Lack of control and velocity. His only hope is like a #5 starter if his control improves. What's crazy is his BB/9 was 2.7 with Ark and 6.1 this season. He get's it to 2.7 and he is in business.
Maybe they have better, more consistent umpiring in AA ball. :D

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 am
I think Moore and Sheffield have earned 2B and SP4. Lewis could drop off even worse and survive just fine in CF, he's an easy Yes on getting another season.

Dunn still seems like he might be a fine 7th inning guy, but didn't earn a spot when we should be contending, imo 🤷‍♂️
Nothing about Dunn leads me to believe he is a reliever in today's game. Lack of control and velocity. His only hope is like a #5 starter if his control improves. What's crazy is his BB/9 was 2.7 with Ark and 6.1 this season. He get's it to 2.7 and he is in business.
Maybe they have better, more consistent umpiring in AA ball. :D
Some of the older umps opted out for the year so there were alot of AA umps out there

Lincoln2207

Post by Lincoln2207 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm

You're right, Julio, I shouldn't have posted on this thread, I should just have shut up. I apologize to everyone for bringing it up again. So please, carry on with baseball.
[/quote]

The only ones you owe an apology to are Dtrain and AT.

You misunderstand me, bpj. I apologized for when and where I posted, not what I posted. I stand by what I said. And BTW, I am not a liberal.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm

Lincoln2207 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm
You're right, Julio, I shouldn't have posted on this thread, I should just have shut up. I apologize to everyone for bringing it up again. So please, carry on with baseball.

You misunderstand me, bpj. I apologized for when and where I posted, not what I posted. I stand by what I said. And BTW, I am not a liberal.
[/quote]

I just read every post I made in the Trump has Covid thread. I am really curious to learn precisely which one(s) led to your disappointment in me, Philip. I will await your response.
dt

Lincoln2207

Post by Lincoln2207 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:52 pm

I appreciate Darren's question and have responded to him in a private message.

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 pm

Lincoln2207 wrote:

[/quote]

Well, zero chance you're a Trump voter with your belief that science was right on covid, so whatever you want to call yourself, what you are is obvious.

In other words, you didn't see anything Dt said on the Mariners forum and brought your hurt wittle lib feelings into the Mariner forum after reading up in the Politics forum, got it.

I have a science project for you Lincoln, find out how dense you are.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 pm
Lincoln2207 wrote:

Well, zero chance you're a Trump voter with your belief that science was right on covid, so whatever you want to call yourself, what you are is obvious.

In other words, you didn't see anything Dt said on the Mariners forum and brought your hurt wittle lib feelings into the Mariner forum after reading up in the Politics forum, got it.

I have a science project for you Lincoln, find out how dense you are.
[/quote]

Quite frankly BPJ, you're just a bad person. This isn't what Darren envisioned transitioning from the ST Forum.

I feel like Darren desperately wants you to shut the fuck up. But because you're on his side of the political isle (although exponentially more insane), he's bitten his tongue... particularly in recent Mariner threads.

He called you out in the Gorgon thread, yet here you are: still blathering on like a total asshole and discouraging good-minded people from wanting to participate.

You'll never get me to back down... but it's sad that Darren lets you bully and intimidate others when they've come to him and complained about you.