Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

AT Funchal-Madeira

Re: Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:36 pm

Looks like the Red Sox went long term for Trevor Story.... with Bogaerts at Shortstop, Devers at Third Base, Marcello Mayer moving up the minor league ranks, is Story a second baseman?
Last edited by AT Funchal-Madeira on Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Here's one
. It’s time to stop the stigma around ten-year contracts
https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platf ... acts-value

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:38 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 pm
If Jerry signs either Turner or Judge this next off season I will buy everyone dinner at the finest Steakhouse in Phoenix. 11 cocktail limit.
Is that an 11 cocktail limit per person, or total for the group?
Per person.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:40 pm

AT Funchal-Madeira wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:36 pm
Looks like the Red Sox went long term for Trevor Story.... with Bogaerts at Shortstop, Devers at Third Base, Marcello Mayer moving up the minor league ranks, is Story a second baseman?
Now Story will hit well in the absolute paradise for RH hitters that is Fenway and everyone will say, "See I told you he would hit well after leaving Coors".
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:40 pm

ddraig wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:28 pm
And yet, sometimes they do. Think Nelson Cruz.
Enterprises that rely on anecdotal evidence are doomed.

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:37 pm
Here's one
. It’s time to stop the stigma around ten-year contracts
https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/platf ... acts-value
The small sample is not particularly insightful, as the first comment noted.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:46 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:31 pm
How about any contract, Correa wasn't a long term contact. And the FO suddenly decided that after their big buildup to the off season?

Oh and if I felt like digging them up long term contracts have actually faired pretty well, choose your study
I was wrong about them not signing any top FAs. RR was definitely that but beyond that, we got a guy that hit 5 HRs last season, I guy that didn't even hit .200 last season and a guy that his NEVER played more that 113 games and can't hit lefties. (and I liked that trade)

But in general, I was right about the approach other than RR. Trying to get cute with trades instead of making obvious moves that were more costly. And a payroll of $106M. $124M below the lux tax, $62M below 2018 and exactly the same as 2008.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/page.as ... ar&ID=2008
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:57 pm

That Correa signing was a slick move, wow. That's a great contract. I guess I just don't see the imagination with the mariners. Again, you can complain about the Hawks but they try, Every off season they seem to come up with a wacky angle. The Mariners have built a nice organization, but it sure isn't in any hurry.

I should dig up that quote from Lincoln after they signed that broadcast deal. That it put them in the ranks of the rangers and Angels, really?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:04 pm

It's interesting to me how pitcher oriented things seem to be, not that I strongly disagree. But on the other hand, the team they roll out sure looks to be lacking defense. That seems like a conflict to me, how it impacts the pitching. Dipolo won't sign schwarber but will trade for Winker?

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:40 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:57 pm
That Correa signing was a slick move, wow. That's a great contract. I guess I just don't see the imagination with the mariners. Again, you can complain about the Hawks but they try, Every off season they seem to come up with a wacky angle. The Mariners have built a nice organization, but it sure isn't in any hurry.

I should dig up that quote from Lincoln after they signed that broadcast deal. That it put them in the ranks of the rangers and Angels, really?
Yep that is another thing that pissed people off and came well after the Winker trade. When Semien, Seager, FF and Bryant signed, it was like wow, glad we didn't do that but with Correa it was like, Damn, we could have easily done that.
dt