Playoff roster?

harmony

Re: Playoff roster?

Post by harmony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm

Mariner beat reporter Corey Brock at The Athletic projects that Marco Gonzales and Jesse Winker will be left off the roster for the Wild Card Series:

https://theathletic.com/3646139/2022/10 ... rojection/

Brock has Abraham Toro busting the roster bubble while Cal Raleigh, Luis Torrens and Curt Casali all make the roster because of concerns about Raleigh's thumb.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:26 pm

harmony wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm
Mariner beat reporter Corey Brock at The Athletic projects that Marco Gonzales and Jesse Winker will be left off the roster for the Wild Card Series:

Brock has Abraham Toro busting the roster bubble while Cal Raleigh, Luis Torrens and Curt Casali all make the roster because of concerns about Raleigh's thumb.
Thanks. With Julio coming back three guys need to be axed. Who is the 3rd?
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:28 pm

harmony wrote:

That would seem to assure that neither are on the team next year.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:28 pm
harmony wrote:

Not necessarily.

Oh the third is Toro. Thank God. I misinterpreted that.
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:28 pm
harmony wrote:

Not necessarily.

Oh the third is Toro. Thank God. I misinterpreted that.
Poor communication on this poster's part.

Corey Brock would roster:

Luis Castillo, Robbie Ray, Logan Gilbert, George Kirby

Matthew Boyd, Matt Brash, Diego Castillo, Chris Flexen, Andrés Muñoz, Penn Murfee, Paul Sewald, Erik Swanson

Cal Raleigh, Curt Casali, Luis Torrens

J.P. Crawford, Ty France, Adam Frazier, Eugenio Suárez, Dylan Moore, Carlos Santana, Abraham Toro

Julio Rodríguez, Sam Haggerty, Jarred Kelenic, Mitch Haniger

No Marco Gonzales, no Jesse Winker, no Matt Festa

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:01 pm

Toro and Kelenic over Winker seems.. odd.

None of them should see any playing time, but at least you could ask Winker to go draw a pinch hit walk for Haggerty or something.

Wtf are Kelenic and Toro going to do for you. Especially Toro...

I have a nagging fear that yesterday's lineup is Servais idea of a platoon lineup and we're going to see more of it.

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:03 pm

Wow.
I think both Winker and Marco make the playoff roster.
Baseball politics.
Between Casali or Torrens I take Torrens.
Casali has yet to prove he belongs.
If Winker stays I bet Trammell gets cut.
If Marco stays I bet Flexen gets the short stick.
I'd personally rather have Flexen than Boyd but Boyd makes for a great story and he cried when the Mariners clinched the WC. :roll: :roll:
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:06 pm

Toro, Kelenic and Festa (6.43 ERA over his last 7 appearances) seem like the most likely options to go unless Raleighs thumb feels back to normal they can dump Casali

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:10 pm

bpj wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:06 pm
Toro, Kelenic and Festa (6.43 ERA over his last 7 appearances) seem like the most likely options to go unless Raleighs thumb feels back to normal they can dump Casali
Yep, you can't roster both Winker and JK. JK is killing himself with the mini slump. I think whoever is in LF tonight will be on the playoff roster.
dt

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:11 am

JK is still crushing the ball. He took Kaprelian deep to CF. He's hitting the ball as hard as anyone. Baseball is a tough fucking game.

A 26-man roster for a 3-gm WC series is really overkill. This team has maybe 6 relievers it wants to use in leverage spots. You're not going to burn a bum up 4+ or down 4+. That's Murfee, Festa. They've only been used when trailing for the last couple months. They're not making the roster. You can even throw Flexen in there but they might like him matchup wise and given Borucki hasn't come back yet, with 26, Flexen might be a luxury you can keep.

It starts with the rotation. It looks like Toronto will lock up WC1 over BAL tomorrow by winning, meaning Gilbert won't pitch Wednesday, meaning he can go gm 1, gm 2, gm 3. I'd use him gm 2. So rotation -- Castillo, Gilbert, Kirby. You can keep Ray in case of extra innings.

Now, you want a deep bench so you can matchup against their relievers at every possible spot. Kelenic, Frazier, Hags, Casali, Torrens, Trammell should all make it. And Kelenic is my starter at LF over Winker anyway.

Thus, my bp for a 3gm series is:
Munoz
Boyd
Castillo
Sewald
Swanson
Brash
Ray
Flexen

Your pos starters: Julio, Kelenic, France, Moore, Crawford, Suarez, Santana, Raleigh, Haniger.

That's 26.

So out are: Marco, Murfee, Festa, Toro (who's already shipped out). Honestly you don't even need Flexen but he's been good (better than Swanny) and who knows, you might go to extras.