Carlos Correa to Richen Pool of FAs

Big_Maple

Re: Carlos Correa to Richen Pool of FAs

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:32 am

ice99 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 am
We'd have to pay part of their contracts, so it won't pay for it.

Dansby, Trea, and Bogaerts each had over 6 WAR last season. They're going to get $32+ milllion AAV, not enough to pay for them. CC is the youngest of the four, he'll probably get a $300+ million dollar contract.
Yep. Time for ownership to show they’re serious. Put up, or shut up.

You can’t win pennants with one superstar. Or even two. Just ask the Angels. We have to trade away flotsam and make one or two seriously splashy signings. We have depth. We have a great, young core. But we need a few more pieces. We can’t call with the hand we’ve got and expect the same outcome.

ice99

Post by ice99 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:56 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:32 am
ice99 wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:28 am
We'd have to pay part of their contracts, so it won't pay for it.

Dansby, Trea, and Bogaerts each had over 6 WAR last season. They're going to get $32+ milllion AAV, not enough to pay for them. CC is the youngest of the four, he'll probably get a $300+ million dollar contract.
Yep. Time for ownership to show they’re serious. Put up, or shut up.

You can’t win pennants with one superstar. Or even two. Just ask the Angels. We have to trade away flotsam and make one or two seriously splashy signings. We have depth. We have a great, young core. But we need a few more pieces. We can’t call with the hand we’ve got and expect the same outcome.
Probably not CC, his career splits at TMobile with .673 OPS in 217 PA compared to his .944 OPS in 358 PA at Target Field.
Last edited by ice99 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:35 am

Big_Maple wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:20 am
bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:10 am
Crawford ($11M), Marco ($6.75M), Winker ($8.25M)

If they could offload those guys as salary dumps the savings pretty much pays for a good shortstop.
But who would take them. They’re on the chop because they suck.

I’m sure we would find takers if we offered up JRod.

But who’d come to Seattle (time to resurrect this discussion which happens annually).
I think there are a few teams that would be in on Marco and Flexen as innings eaters. Each had ERA'S under 3.00 their first time through opposing lineups.

Teams that are basically one foot in, one foot out may have interest.

The Rangers could use some rotation help. The Twins. Colorado could be looking for a couple guys like that.

The Dbacks seem to kind of want to be good.

The Cubs and Tigers have some contracts that may be interesting swaps.

Baltimore could probably use some guys that can get them through some innings. The Royals need to decide what they're doing, could be in the market for guys like them.

All of these are teams that had lower WAR from their Starting Pitching than the Mariners and may need help getting through the season.

Some of the teams have interesting players we could take on to offset some dollars. Marco and Flexen could even be used to offset dollars on a bigger contract that comes back.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:17 am

A 3-Way Trade makes sense.

For example, say Team X from the list in the post above thinks Winker, Flexen and Marco can help them raise the floor. They aren't willing to take on cash, but are willing to send two decent guys that are blocked in their system (or whatever) for them.

TEAM X GETS:
-Marco
-Flexen
-Winker

MARINERS GET:
-Javier Baez- $120M owed (.723 OPS in 2nd Half)
- $40M from the Tigers to offset contracts

TIGERS GET:
-Evan White
-2 Top 30 Prospects that were blocked on Team X to add to their rebuild with their new GM

The Mariners would still be on the hook for about $80M (for Marco/Flexen/Winker/White, same as they are now) but they'd get their 2 WAR shortstop/2B with upside in exchange for the other 4 players that are squeezed off our roster.

The Tigers would still be on the hook for Baez $, but that's a sunk cost in their current situation anyways and they'd add prospects and a lottery pick in Evan White.

Team X would get a few guys to help them raise the floor for no $ and only giving up guys they don't feel they'll miss.

The $'s exchanged could change, but overall I think that's the framework they could be looking for.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:48 am

bpj wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:17 am
A 3-Way Trade makes sense.

For example, say Team X from the list in the post above thinks Winker, Flexen and Marco can help them raise the floor. They aren't willing to take on cash, but are willing to send two decent guys that are blocked in their system (or whatever) for them.

TEAM X GETS:
-Marco
-Flexen
-Winker

MARINERS GET:
-Javier Baez- $120M owed (.723 OPS in 2nd Half)
- $40M from the Tigers to offset contracts

TIGERS GET:
-Evan White
-2 Top 30 Prospects that were blocked on Team X to add to their rebuild with their new GM

The Mariners would still be on the hook for about $80M (for Marco/Flexen/Winker/White, same as they are now) but they'd get their 2 WAR shortstop/2B with upside in exchange for the other 4 players that are squeezed off our roster.

The Tigers would still be on the hook for Baez $, but that's a sunk cost in their current situation anyways and they'd add prospects and a lottery pick in Evan White.

Team X would get a few guys to help them raise the floor for no $ and only giving up guys they don't feel they'll miss.

The $'s exchanged could change, but overall I think that's the framework they could be looking for.
This actually sounds legit. Make it happen.

We get rid of bad contracts, get an impact bat and a decent 2B in return.

I'd be happy making a trade for another COF - I love Mitch, but I think we cut him loose, and maybe package JK into the Evan White deal. He still has potential, it's just not likely going to be realized in Seattle. So maybe the deal to the Tigers include only 1 Top 30 prospect plus Evan and JK.

Love this proposal, bpj.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:29 am

If Detroit deals him, which they should, Javier Baez will be an albatross to whichever team takes that contract. He's the type of player second division teams sign when they're desperate to prove to their fans that they're serious about winning.

Right now, we're reeling from having run straight into Yordan Alvarez, the monster that haunts pitcher's dreams. The answer isn't to bring in some overrated strikeout lord that can't take a walk and then be burdened with that salary for the next five years while the player slowly declines from plus to average to bad and then finally gets released with a year and a half left on his deal. That's not a smart move.

This is not to say that I know what the smart moves are. Trading for Ian Happ might be a good one. I also wonder how the Cubs are feeling about Seiya Suzuki. I think getting at least one elite reliever would make sense. Ideally, several bullpen upgrades would happen. Look for the teams that are in limbo right now, like both Chicago teams, Minnesota, Milwaukee, KC, maybe Tampa Bay.

I'd love to see them sign Josh Bell but the one thing that worries me about that is the general lack of enthusiasm for the player, despite pretty good numbers in 2021 and 2022. Washington basically gave him away as a sweetener in the Juan Soto deal and I just wonder what the issue there is.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:49 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:29 am
If Detroit deals him, which they should, Javier Baez will be an albatross to whichever team takes that contract. He's the type of player second division teams sign when they're desperate to prove to their fans that they're serious about winning.

Right now, we're reeling from having run straight into Yordan Alvarez, the monster that haunts pitcher's dreams. The answer isn't to bring in some overrated strikeout lord that can't take a walk and then be burdened with that salary for the next five years while the player slowly declines from plus to average to bad and then finally gets released with a year and a half left on his deal. That's not a smart move.

This is not to say that I know what the smart moves are. Trading for Ian Happ might be a good one. I also wonder how the Cubs are feeling about Seiya Suzuki. I think getting at least one elite reliever would make sense. Ideally, several bullpen upgrades would happen. Look for the teams that are in limbo right now, like both Chicago teams, Minnesota, Milwaukee, KC, maybe Tampa Bay.

I'd love to see them sign Josh Bell but the one thing that worries me about that is the general lack of enthusiasm for the player, despite pretty good numbers in 2021 and 2022. Washington basically gave him away as a sweetener in the Juan Soto deal and I just wonder what the issue there is.
The proposal I made was a ~$0 net difference compared to what they're paying now to Marco/Flexen/Winker/White- none of whom are doing us any good- with Detroit picking up the tab on Baez's final ~two years so if he declines further, dump him.

If they think they're going to get a higher return from Marco/Flexen/Winker/White for the same $'s than what they'll get from Baez, by all means, keep them.

It's basically an answer to the, "Well who's going to take on Marco and Flexens salary" question. There are viable scenarios out there.

Comes down to, Is Baez more valuable to us at a cost of $80M, or are Marco/Flexen/Winker/White more valuable to us for $80M?

Probably neither. But since it's a one or the other proposition- and the money is already spent essentially- I'd take Baez and the 3 vacant spots on the 40 man roster where they can add more talent. Even if he ends up as your UTIL by the end, that's probably more of a return than we're going to see from the other 4 guys.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:28 am

Javy is owed 5 120M with an opt out after 2023 (His)
Tigers pay 40 M plus take your three
So Javy has a 5 for 80 Million But really if the Tigers pay 40 and Javy opts out? Does Javy become a 1 year 22M dollar payed guy but we get payed 18M for the pleasure?

Javy has one attribute that would play well and that is power. The Mets have a bigger stadium and he played well there. Javy is typiclly a high average /no walk/ high K rate/ 30 HR power guy. I could be happy if he was one of 2 upgrades for the offense.

I;d be in to sign our lefty BP guy CHaffin (6-8M)

Give me an MVP candidate Judge 35M X __years

Go get CC, Trea, Jose ABreau, J Bell, Conforto, Brantley, Joc
Nimmo Lefty OF 130 OPS+ career and 2022

So Chaffin 7M LHBP stud
and under the radar moves:
Jose Abreau No Qualifier career .292 .354 .506 .860 134 OPS+ same as 2022 1B/DH and he is 36 so low years

OF
Conforto career .255 .356 .468 .824 124 OPS+ (Probably an incentive laden 1 year maybe options)
or
Nimmo career .269 .385 .441 .827 130 OPS+ ( Healthy player healthy year 16-21M X3-5

And then your Baez deal

Player pos. hits OPS+
1. Julio CF R 147
2. France 1B R 126
3. *Nimmo OF L 130 OPS+
4. Abreu DH R 134 OPS+
5. Cal C SH 122 OPS+
6. Saurez 3B 129 OPS+
7. JK*/Lewis/*Taylor T
8. Baez 2B R 103 OPS+ ( High upside) .299 .371 .515 .886 140OPS+ with Metz and they have a big park
9. JP* SS L 100 OPS+

Bench
Murphy 100 OPS+ career C R
Moore 122 OPS+ R
Haggerty 116 OPS+ SH
And one of Lewis, JK*, TT*

I don't like Baez he is kind of like the opposite of "Good Vibes only" Saurez. His high K stuff is OK but the low walk rate id very unattractive to our home park. The home park suppresses all hits not just HR rate. So, somebody that relies on a lot of singles and doubles dropping in? Baez has the same 103 OPS+ career that Frazier did entering Seattle. But, the power probably plays.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:29 am

GL: this was an awesome post. I read it. Had a beer or three and thought about it. And after a heady buzz I concluded that you make some great points. But here’s what I came up with:

Alvarez is a unicorn. So is Judge. And so is JRod. He’s going to be balls out scary in a year or two. But Alvarez is unattainable, and there’s no way we are going to be competitive for Judge. But we’ve got JRod. Those guys are top tier talent, and there’s maybe 10 guys in both leagues in that category, none of whom are going to be suiting up in Mariners uniforms.

That leaves us with a wider field of second tier guys. Baez is in that group. So is Suzuki and Happ and Bell and Correa and Turner and a bunch of other names bandied around this board over the last few months. But you’ll find just as many people enthusiastic about each of them as you’ll find expressing the concerns you just mentioned. The reason is they’re not unicorns. They’re skills aren’t stratospheric, they age, they decline and they will want long, expensive contracts because they’re almost top tier. Every one is a calculated risk. They could have phenomenal seasons and they could negative WAR seasons. But unless we can offload Winker and Marco JK and JP for Alvarez (which is as likely as monkeys flying out of my ass) then we have to consider second tier guys to replace our clunkers.

I think the proposal bpj made is as good as any other. Is it perfect? Of course not. Baez could come to Seattle and suck ass. Or he could give us 3 or 4 seasons of plus WAR and then limp through his last year or two. Would I be happy with a similar deal for Suzuki or Happ or a host of other second tier guys? Yeah. They aren’t the sure bets that an Alvarez or a Judge will give you, but they’re attainable and they’re worth the risk because they have generally good track records.

Second tier guys are going to demand long contracts, and their most productive years should always be their first few years. But everyone declines with age - even unicorns. But you’ve got to ante up to stay in the game. I’d take 5 years of Baez over another year of Mitch or another few years of Winker any day if the week and twice in Sundays.

I’d love to see some of the more savvy pundits on the board (yourself included, GL) offer up alternative trade proposals for similar returns. I admire the thought that so many of you put into these trade proposals and FA suggestions, and I think bpj’s proposal has some grist.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:48 am

Given Baez's numbers taking a dip in Detroit, it's not very likely he opts out imo.

The reason it could make sense- whether it was in exchange for Baez, or someone else- is that it takes what appears to be dead weight salary that is already a sunk cost (we don't need Marco or Flexen to take innings, and Winker isn't likely to see a resurgence with us, and White is White), and fills a hole without dumping another $30M/year on top of the dollars we're already shelling out.

It's just reallocation of dollars from guys we don't really need, to one that may be able to fill a pretty glaring hole with an average player with upside.

And as a cherry on top it leaves 3 extra spots on the 40 man to add Judge and Bell (or whoever) with the available payroll dollars that haven't yet been allocated.

I don't love Baez, at all. But I do like him, and the position he plays, better than the other 4 guys we'd be giving up.