Batting averages of our five new players

D-train

Re: Batting averages of our five new players

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:06 pm

Lamda wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:48 pm
The issue with the DH is they were never going to find a legit DH - Jerry doesn't believe in it. He believes its an extra spot to give a guy a day off. The problem with his logic, which I'm astounded he's never figured out, is that you need to have an extra really good player on the team to make it work otherwise you end up with the mess we have now. If we had Reynolds for example - then you just rotate one of the OF'ers into the DH spot every 4th day to give them a night off from the field but they all keep hitting. You don't have 3 OF'ers and then 2 wastes of space and give them ab's that hurt your team.

The real elephant of our offense is the same as it was last year - too many streaky hitters. They hit for a day or two and then take the next 3-5 days off. Suarez is the worst at this with France not far behind. Julio is pressing way too much right now and needs to, amazingly, take a page out of JK's hitting book and look more for his pitch instead of trying to hit everything thrown at him.

FO is cheap though - no denying that - they seem so paranoid about future payrolls they won't spend today. Its like they don't understand that you can buy today and sell tomorrow to make room for that future payoff.
Nailed it. And don't look now but JK is in a mini slump that could death spiral in a big one if we continue face good pitching and or lefty starters.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:21 pm

bpj wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:51 am
They built their lineup from the bottom up, instead of the top down.

In my opinion, France, Hernandez, Raleigh, and Suarez are all good #5 or #6 bats in a good lineup.

The Mariners thought they could get away with replacing the guys that bat 6th-9th.

They needed to add MOTO bats and instead they visited the scrap heap for retreads again.

They should have added players that pushed Hummel and Kelenic, and even Haggerty, down the depth charts so they were next ones called up, instead they tossed them as Plan A in the lineup and now they're calling up more AAAA guys because they didn't add that depth at the top.
Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes! I hate that we expect a guy like Cal Raleigh to be a MOTB. I realize I don't follow the game as much as you guys, but how many other teams will expect there Catcher to bat fourth or fifth? Good bats, as you have said, but the fact is, you are incredibly accurate in that non of those hitters should hit 2,3,4,and 5 on a playoff team. Shit, our leadoff hitter should be hitting 3, but we are so limited he has to bat leadoff.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:34 pm

Lamda wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:48 pm
The issue with the DH is they were never going to find a legit DH - Jerry doesn't believe in it. He believes its an extra spot to give a guy a day off. The problem with his logic, which I'm astounded he's never figured out, is that you need to have an extra really good player on the team to make it work otherwise you end up with the mess we have now. If we had Reynolds for example - then you just rotate one of the OF'ers into the DH spot every 4th day to give them a night off from the field but they all keep hitting. You don't have 3 OF'ers and then 2 wastes of space and give them ab's that hurt your team.

The real elephant of our offense is the same as it was last year - too many streaky hitters. They hit for a day or two and then take the next 3-5 days off. Suarez is the worst at this with France not far behind. Julio is pressing way too much right now and needs to, amazingly, take a page out of JK's hitting book and look more for his pitch instead of trying to hit everything thrown at him.

FO is cheap though - no denying that - they seem so paranoid about future payrolls they won't spend today. Its like they don't understand that you can buy today and sell tomorrow to make room for that future payoff.
Another one I could not possibly agree more with. Well said.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:41 pm

Everything they do is because they are cheap and they disguise it with some looney made up policy they try to pawn off as cutting edge.

Jerry: No DH so we can rest guys and keep them fresh and health
Reality: No DH so they don't have to spend on a good hitter and just rotate a bench bat through there.

Jerry: Platoon in LF and 2B to protect JK vs. lefties and give Wong days off vs. tough lefties
Reality: Platoon in LF and 2B. Don't have to spend on a full time player.

Jerry: We prefer trades over FA because FA should just be to augment your roster
Reality: Have to pass on elite FAs because they cost money

Jerry: JP is our SS
Reality: Now we have a reason to only pretend to be interested in the top FA SSs the past two seasons.
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:45 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:41 pm
Everything they do is because they are cheap and they disguise it with some looney made up policy the try to pawn off as cutting edge.

Reality: No DH so they don't have to spend on a good hitter and just rotate a bench bat through there.

Jerry: Platoon in LF and 2B to protect JK vs. lefties and give Wong days off vs. tough lefties
Reality: Platoon in LF and 2B. Don't have to spend on a full time player.

Jerry: We prefer trades over FA because FA should just be to augment your roster
Reality: Have to pass on elite FAs because they cost money

Jerry: JP is our SS
Reality: Now we have a reason to only pretend to be interested in the top FA SSs the past two seasons.
I would add a starting pitcher and another closer to that list of items we didn't even attempt to acquire.
vs. going cheapo with Marco / Flexen. That's like saying dreaming that Castillo / Ray / Gilbert are going to be successful everytime out / not get hurt so that we can afford a loss or two at the bottom of the rotation. Just not a reasonable concept. Imho you can NEVER have too much pitching.
I'd argue that our bullpen has taken a step backward also. Why didn't we go and get an Andrew Chafin for example?
Because they're cheap bastards.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:38 pm

Proof positive they are the cheapest team in baseball The Ohtani next year talk is beyond crazy stupidity to even entertain the thought that this organization would ever spend to that level. Lol

gil

Post by gil » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:41 pm

I *wish* Flexen and Marco were cheap.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:41 pm
Everything they do is because they are cheap and they disguise it with some looney made up policy they try to pawn off as cutting edge.

On the DH, I think this is actually what they believe. I think they will bend on it, like they did by bringing in Santana, but positional versatility and rotating guys through that slot is sort of an ideal state for them and they'll keep trying to make it work as long as they can.