Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League thread!

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:29 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:12 pm
bpj wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:07 pm
Would you guys do either of these trades (assuming they would turn around and sign Blake Snell and/or the Japanese Cy Young winner guy)?

Pirates:

Screenshot_20231102_160258_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Mets:

Screenshot_20231102_155953_DuckDuckGo.jpg
I'm not that big on Reynolds, but I do like Bednar a lot. Almost as much as Woo. Any chance we could offload either Castillo and Ray instead and go with the young guys? I wasn't THAT impressed with Castillo down the stretch.

And I'm all in for Pete Alonso. I'd like to bring back Ty France. I think he battled injuries this year. Because when he's right, we've all seen what he can do. Plus he's cheap.

As much as I love Geno's defense, I think it's time to say Good bye to the Good Vibes only. Sign 3B/1B Jemier Candelario as your BIG money deal. Then pull off some big splash trades to add on top.
I suggested trading Castillo for Soto straight up. Their values are nearly identical. But you can trade a guy that isn't going to be able to pitch until August or Sept or even 2025.
I'd be all for Soto for Castillo. And you're right on Ray.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:35 pm

Sodomojo in rare form with this piece. First they say we need a DH which I don't disagree with but then suggest we trade for Santander and put him in the 3 hole. Dude had a 118 wRC+ (Ford's was 123). They also have us getting Westburg who is just a utility guy with a .715 OPS, worse than Dylan Moore's for Gilbert and Speier.

Then they suggest a trade for Henderson who is the best young player in the game and would have been like us trading Julio minus the extension this past off season. :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://sodomojo.com/posts/the-mariners ... hpf9pamv/2
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm

Thoughts on Soler?
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:35 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:51 pm
Thoughts on Soler?
viewtopic.php?t=8788&start=20

Since I don't want to duplicate yesterday's posts, here you go.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:40 pm

Just looked and while his 2023 was good, his past three season combined he only put up a 109 OPS+. I could see him being do for another flop in 2024 especially in T Mobile. Jerry won't want him because he is pretty much just a DH so probably moot.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:46 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:40 pm
Just looked and while his 2023 was good, his past three season combined he only put up a 109 OPS+. I could see him being do for another flop in 2024 especially in T Mobile. Jerry won't want him because he is pretty much just a DH so probably moot.
Not when Geno is cheaper and a bridge to whomever takes over that position. A. Smith, J. Rojas, C. Emerson, T. Locklear, M. Arroyo you name it.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:56 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:46 pm
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:40 pm
Not when Geno is cheaper and a bridge to whomever takes over that position. A. Smith, J. Rojas, C. Emerson, T. Locklear you name it.
Soler has never played INF. Seems Locklear has permanently moved to 1B...Smith is probably 5 years away, hit .208/.682 and is only 19. LOVE Emerson but he is a baby and at least 2 years away probably 3. Rojas is 2B and doesn't have the bat for 3B. I hope Geno doesn't implode this season, could be ugly. Where is Seager when we need him. lol
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:09 pm

Bellinger would solve a lot of problems for the M's, and I'm not talking necessarily about the outfield. He would allow the M's to trade France to a team needing a good glove and adequate bat at 1B, or even a good bat at 2B. Throw money at both Ohtani and Bellinger and the team is immediately upgraded. Yeah, it will mean SPENDING! But bring in those two and you could see sell outs at nearly every game! Would that now help pay for the money you spend on those two to go along with the money you've NOT SPENT over the past three years. It's time to compete with the Rangers (who spent to sign Semien and Seager) and the Astros.

Can the M's get over their dread of getting stuck with bad contracts? It's now or never guys! You need bats and both those players are still in their 20's. You sign these two and you still have some good pitching and a couple of extraneous players you could trade for some OF help. Now is the time to go for it, and acquiring Bellinger and Ohtani to go with the team pitching would be a tremendous boost in the right direction. Heck, even if you keep France and put Bellinger in the OF and Ohtani at DH, the team is so much better that it was this past season.

I know signing Ohtani is, at best, a long shot, but I'd like to at least see the M's in on the conversation. They would have to throw money at him, but considering how much the organization has "saved" by not spending these past three years, and how they keep promising that they need the money to re-sign the "core." With the Rangers sudden rise, now is the time to go big or go home. We are tired of waiting!
Last edited by ddraig on Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:26 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:07 pm
Would you guys do either of these trades (assuming they would turn around and sign Blake Snell and/or the Japanese Cy Young winner guy)?

Pirates:

Screenshot_20231102_160258_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Mets:

Screenshot_20231102_155953_DuckDuckGo.jpg
FWIW after his breakout 6.0 fWAR season in 2021, Bryan Reynold has posted more pedestrian fWAR of 2.8 and 2.3 the last two years as the Pirate approaches his 29th birthday in January:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/bryan ... osition=OF

Compare with this year's fWAR for Mariner hitters:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major ... n=&team=11

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:30 pm

ddraig wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:09 pm
Bellinger would solve a lot of problems for the M's, and I'm not talking necessarily about the outfield. He would allow the M's to trade France to a team needing a good glove and adequate bat at 1B, or even a good bat at 2B. Throw money at both Ohtani and Bellinger and the team is immediately upgraded. Yeah, it will mean SPENDING! But bring in those two and you could see sell outs at nearly every game! Would that now help pay for the money you spend on those two to go along with the money you've NOT SPENT over the past three years. It's time to compete with the Rangers (who spent to sign Semien and Seager) and the Astros.

Can the M's get over their dread of getting stuck with bad contracts? It's now or never guys! You need bats and both those players are still in their 20's. You sign these two and you still have some good pitching and a couple of extraneous players you could trade for some OF help. Now is the time to go for it, and acquiring Bellinger and Ohtani to go with the team pitching would be a tremendous boost in the right direction. Heck, even if you keep France and put Bellinger in the OF and Ohtani at DH, the team is so much better that it was this past season.

I know signing Ohtani is, at best, a long shot, but I'd like to at least see the M's in on the conversation. They would have to throw money at him, but considering how much the organization has "saved" by not spending these past three years, and how they keep promising that they need the money to re-sign the "core." With the Rangers sudden rise, now is the time to go big or go home. We are tired of waiting!
Great post John. Totally agree. This is how much they have saved since the start of the rebuild. Almost a quarter BILLION dollars.
payroll.JPG
payroll.JPG (45.28 KiB) Viewed 449 times
dt