Trade deadline poll

Who would you most like to see the M’s acquire by the trade deadline?

Pete “Polar Bear” Alonso
13%
Vladimir “Vlad the Impaler” Guerrero Jr.
No votes
Luis “La Pantera” Robert Jr.
13%
Brent “I Need a Nickname” Rooker
56%
Nothing - stand pat.
No votes
Other (please specify)
19%

Total votes: 16

D-train

Re: Trade deadline poll

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:25 pm

Wow, Seaver pitched for the Red Sox in 1986 but not in the playoffs or WS vs. the Mets. Should have brought him in for the 9th inning in Game 6. Would have been legendary.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... to01.shtml
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:31 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:21 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:45 am

Sorry, but I find it comical that people think professional businessmen are so petty and spiteful that that give more of a fuck about not helping another team in their division than helping their own team long term. They aren't Junior high girls that don't want their best friend to go to Prom with their ex boy friend FFS. Jerry has done multiple trades with the division "rivals", no reason to think it won't happen again. Hopefully it won't be another Abe Toro or Ryon Healy.
I don't think it's really rivalry between businessmen, though some owners can be pretty petty, in some cases it would be. I think the issue is more public relations, the amount of times you play, and thats changed now . Believe the concern with a popular player, a star, the number of times he's back at your field, and you at his. Having him doing heroic things to beat you, reminding fans you traded him. The best trade had been to the other league, never see the guy again
Sure. I bet the Mets wish they would have traded Seaver to the AL and would have never seen him again unless it was to the Red Sox but now there is a bit of interleague play I have read. I doubt the 2700 fans at the A's games will be too traumatized if the Legendary A Brent Rooker hits a HR against them in an M's jersey.
Yeah, considering the teams leaving next season isn't it. I don't know how much it applies these days, things have changed

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:37 pm

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1777162/ ... -3-routes/

which young bats would you give up to get Roberts?
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:44 pm

seattlefan-daBronx wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:37 pm

He is now hitting .176 with a .733 OPS and has 32 Ks and only 4 singles in 81 PAs. Think about that. That is FOUR singles in about 20 games.

I would give up far less than it will take to get him.
dt

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:44 pm

He is now hitting .176 with a .733 OPS and has 32 Ks and only 4 singles in 81 PAs. Think about that. That is FOUR singles in about 20 games.

Hey Darren!!!!
I asked Beckys about Boston.
We'll get back soon with an exact date I promise.
Going home to see Dad next week in Seattle.
Mariners offense.jpg
So....We have a FEW offense issues.....
1. A power outage compared to the elite teams.
2. A contact hitting problem.
All this despite the recent wins and because our pitching is the envy of baseball.
But once October rolls around we'll need some "pop".
Can't always count on Cal to produce miracle walkoffs.
Feels like the league has figured Julio out.
Jerry choose wisely.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:11 pm

Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:53 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Hey Darren!!!!
I asked Beckys about Boston.
We'll get back soon with an exact date I promise.
Going home to see Dad next week in Seattle.

Mariners offense.jpg

So....We have a FEW offense issues.....
1. A power outage compared to the elite teams.
2. A contact hitting problem.
All this despite the recent wins and because our pitching is the envy of baseball.
But once October rolls around we'll need some "pop".
Can't always count on Cal to produce miracle walkoffs.
Feels like the league has figured Julio out.
Jerry choose wisely.
Great! any dates work for us!
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:35 am

harmony wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:37 pm
bpj wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:37 pm
I don't know that Dipoto gets too much flack for trades.

His biggest problem is the majority of the payroll dollars he's had available the last 9 years he has invested in players that led to poor returns in terms of production.

Here's an excerpt from what I wrote in 2022, and he's followed the same course since:
Somewhere analytics provide a metric to compare those numbers to the numbers of other organizations. ;)
What is it?

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:05 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:19 pm
Big_Maple wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:09 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:03 pm
What the heck are you doing up at the crack of dawn, my friend??? :) Yes, I agree that trading Miller would likely be counterproductive for them but they shouldn't care about Rooker.
Hahahahaa

I’m actually in Michigan right now. We bought a second home for our son to live in and rent while he saves for his own home. It has a fully furnished basement, so we are spending the month of June here visiting. My family lives close, too - so it works out perfectly. Except that we are in EDT which I am learning sucks if you want to watch Mariners home games. :(

My stepson got us tickets to see the Tigers play the ChiSox this weekend as a belated Father’s Day gift. I have zero skin in this game, but a day at the ballpark is always a good thing.
Yes I have read that it is challenging watching M's game is in the EDT zone. lol btw Sunrise in Boston is 48 minutes earlier than Michigan due to the Longitude difference despite being in the same time zone. 5:07 am vs. 5:55 am. I think most people are more focused on latitude but longitude is huge as well.
I have noticed the same things even with-in state being here in Spokane vs watching an M's game it can be dusk here and still sunny on the M's game. And another funny thing is when I drive directly West (I know more extreme in a plane) but when I drive to Portland from Tri-Cities Washington you extend the day.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:42 pm

Portland is about 150 miles west of Tri-cities. One degree of longitude equals 54.6 miles and the Earth rotates one degree every 4 min. So the difference is 11.75 minutes of time.

Question: how fast does the surface of the Earth move relative to a point at the center of the planet? (Or what speed would you have to travel in a westward direction in order to remain perpetually in the same time of day?)

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:46 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:42 pm
Portland is about 150 miles west of Tri-cities. One degree of longitude equals 54.6 miles and the Earth rotates one degree every 4 min. So the difference is 11.75 minutes of time.

Question: how fast does the surface of the Earth move relative to a point at the center of the planet?
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but at the equator it’s 1000 miles per hour, so at the equator, the earth moves 66.67 miles in the same 4 minutes
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez