Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

Donn Beach

Re: Some juicy ass stuff from Mather here (Not meant for public)

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am

I don't see why this would fundementally change their views for running the club. What they need to do is find another Chuck Armstrong. A guy better skilled at representing their interests

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:05 am
I don't see why this would fundementally change their views for running the club. What they need to do is find another Chuck Armstrong. A guy better skilled at representing their interests
Yeah, another California carpetbagging suit..... why get a baseball person? Brilliant!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am

The primary role of the CEO is to handle the business side and stay out of the way of the baseball people. Its not like Mather was making personnel decisions and deciding who to makes the team. I don't see how hiring a baseball guy with no business background makes any sense at all.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:45 am

We shall see, they haven't wanted a baseball guy in that position and I don't see why this would change things. I am gonna assume they felt Mathers was doing a good job up until he opened his mouth. I am betting on another accountant/lawyer. It's kind of amazing really, going from Armstrong to Mathers in terms of people skills, that was a step back

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:05 am

This is another example why I stopped following the M's the year before last. Lived and breathed for this team since Day One 1977, but they have lost me for a while, maybe forever.

Except for the Lou years when we enjoyed a modest run of success, this franchise has been an endless shit-show of failed ownership and excuses. Calling it a "rebuild" after almost 20 years of missing the playoffs kind of did me in.

Bad deals, bad decisions, back-biting, scandals, a million managers, penny-pinching the right players or overspending on the wrong ones...just the whole "why have a winner when we are making money" attitude that seems to follow this team through every season is too much for me.

And of course, the endless, unceasing losing and wait-till-next-year-myth.

Now this bullshit...Mather can't even pronounce players' names properly, aired out team laundry and cast a pall over a season -- just as pitchers and catchers are reporting. It is a completely fucked-up losing franchise and it never seems to end -- while the value of the franchise has skyrocketed.

I so wish they would sell this team to someone who was passionate about winning a championship; instead of making monkeys out of us every year.

"And when we win OUR championship, OUR parade will be way better than the Seahawks' parade. Neener!" :roll:

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:08 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:52 pm

Well then, please elaborate?!
There is two possibilities. Mather only talks that way when giving rotary club speeches there is a culture within the M's where it is condoned. I think the latter is far more likely.
Thats Speculative

I need physical proof.
I need proof that he didn't.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:44 am
The primary role of the CEO is to handle the business side and stay out of the way of the baseball people. Its not like Mather was making personnel decisions and deciding who to makes the team. I don't see how hiring a baseball guy with no business background makes any sense at all.
Maybe not, the Cardinals have done well with guys like Branch Rickey, Stan Musial, and Whitey Herzog..... all three in the Hall of Fame... I think the Marlins will experience success with Derek Jeter.... We are a small to mid market team and we've not done well with business men devoid of baseball acumen making the decisions...

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 pm
Great, they can do better..
"His comments were inappropriate and do not represent our organizations' feelings about our players, staff and fans," Stanton said in a statement. "There is no excuse for what was said, and I won't try to make one. I offer my sincere apology on behalf of the club and my partners to our players and fans. We can, and must, do better."
So let's wait and see.

I'm just glad to know that Jarred Kelenic will be in LF come April instead of Eddie "fucking" Rosario. It takes minor leaguers a bit of time to get used to playing the Major Leagues. I'd rather have him adjusting to that in 2021 than 2022 when we are making our run for the pennant.
You're talking about the playoffs and missing by a few games, we'll see by the end of the year.

And is describing him as "fucking" your effeminate way of making that sound like a negative thing?

I'll take Eddie Fucking Rosario in LF all day in a wild card hunt over the kid you think will earn his way up. See how it can be a good thing too?

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:08 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:03 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 am

There is two possibilities. Mather only talks that way when giving rotary club speeches there is a culture within the M's where it is condoned. I think the latter is far more likely.
Thats Speculative

I need physical proof.
I need proof that he didn't.
WEAKKKKK!!!!!

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:39 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:05 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:04 pm
Great, they can do better..

So let's wait and see.

I'm just glad to know that Jarred Kelenic will be in LF come April instead of Eddie "fucking" Rosario. It takes minor leaguers a bit of time to get used to playing the Major Leagues. I'd rather have him adjusting to that in 2021 than 2022 when we are making our run for the pennant.
You're talking about the playoffs and missing by a few games, we'll see by the end of the year.

And is describing him as "fucking" your effeminate way of making that sound like a negative thing?

I'll take Eddie Fucking Rosario in LF all day in a wild card hunt over the kid you think will earn his way up. See how it can be a good thing too?
Except the M's aren't going for the Wild card this year. Not finamcially.