Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

Petert

Re: Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

Post by Petert » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:26 am
Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 am
Thanks for starting the new thread, Juliooo.

I thought about this, and I have to look at it carefully, as I was ready to mistake 'regressing' with 'not improving', and it's easy for me to mistake the latter for the former.

At the present time, I'd probably say Sheffield.

Kikuchi, I think is a lost cause as a starter (unless someone in the front office eats crow and moves him to the 4 or 5 slot in the rotation, before being assigned to the bullpen) so I can't count him as 'regressing', since he never met (my) expectations as a starter in the first place. (Again), He now should be targeted as an overpriced bullpen option where, maybe, his morse-code flashes of dominance can be better matched to situational matchups, rather than attempting to slog through 100 pitches of entertaining the gods of baseball into a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' decision. Dunn holds his own, I believe, much better than Kikuchi does, and shows poise, intelligence and talent.

Any regression on his part would hurt, but not as much, IMO, if Sheffield lapsed into his 2019 form.
I think Sheff has figured it out. After his first two starts he only had one bad start. And pitched at least 6 innings in all but one of those starts and 5 innings in the last start of the season.

His last 8 starts he was 6-2 with a 2.64 ERA and 41 Ks in 47 innings (avg. of 6 innings a start) and a .622 OPS against. Will still only be 24 yo on OD next season. Paxton hasn't pitched since Aug. 20th LOL Killed that trade.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2020
That’s actually my point, although I didn’t quote stats to justify it. Sheffield has made the biggest year-over-year jump forward in an area that desperately needed it. I would put Moore a close 2nd, but with the addition of France, and (hopefully) Haniger’s return, wed stand a better chance of weathering any about face by Moore.

So, any regression by Sheffield would, in my mind, have a more detrimental effect on the team.

D-train

Re: Alright, lets talk about actual baseball. Which young player are you more worried about regressing next year?

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:33 pm

Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:15 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:26 am
Petert wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:24 am
Thanks for starting the new thread, Juliooo.

I thought about this, and I have to look at it carefully, as I was ready to mistake 'regressing' with 'not improving', and it's easy for me to mistake the latter for the former.

At the present time, I'd probably say Sheffield.

Kikuchi, I think is a lost cause as a starter (unless someone in the front office eats crow and moves him to the 4 or 5 slot in the rotation, before being assigned to the bullpen) so I can't count him as 'regressing', since he never met (my) expectations as a starter in the first place. (Again), He now should be targeted as an overpriced bullpen option where, maybe, his morse-code flashes of dominance can be better matched to situational matchups, rather than attempting to slog through 100 pitches of entertaining the gods of baseball into a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' decision. Dunn holds his own, I believe, much better than Kikuchi does, and shows poise, intelligence and talent.

Any regression on his part would hurt, but not as much, IMO, if Sheffield lapsed into his 2019 form.
I think Sheff has figured it out. After his first two starts he only had one bad start. And pitched at least 6 innings in all but one of those starts and 5 innings in the last start of the season.

His last 8 starts he was 6-2 with a 2.64 ERA and 41 Ks in 47 innings (avg. of 6 innings a start) and a .622 OPS against. Will still only be 24 yo on OD next season. Paxton hasn't pitched since Aug. 20th LOL Killed that trade.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... &year=2020
That’s actually my point, although I didn’t quote stats to justify it. Sheffield has made the biggest year-over-year jump forward in an area that desperately needed it. I would put Moore a close 2nd, but with the addition of France, and (hopefully) Haniger’s return, wed stand a better chance of weathering any about face by Moore.

So, any regression by Sheffield would, in my mind, have a more detrimental effect on the team.
Got it. Thanks PT.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:07 pm

IStillLoveTheMs wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 pm
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:15 pm
Lincoln2207 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm
You're right, Julio, I shouldn't have posted on this thread, I should just have shut up. I apologize to everyone for bringing it up again. So please, carry on with baseball.
The only ones you owe an apology to are Dtrain and AT.

You misunderstand me, bpj. I apologized for when and where I posted, not what I posted. I stand by what I said. And BTW, I am not a liberal.
Well, zero chance you're a Trump voter with your belief that science was right on covid, so whatever you want to call yourself, what you are is obvious.

In other words, you didn't see anything Dt said on the Mariners forum and brought your hurt wittle lib feelings into the Mariner forum after reading up in the Politics forum, got it.

I have a science project for you Lincoln, find out how dense you are.
Quite frankly BPJ, you're just a bad person. This isn't what Darren envisioned transitioning from the ST Forum.

I feel like Darren desperately wants you to shut the fuck up. But because you're on his side of the political isle (although exponentially more insane), he's bitten his tongue... particularly in recent Mariner threads.

He called you out in the Gorgon thread, yet here you are: still blathering on like a total asshole and discouraging good-minded people from wanting to participate.

You'll never get me to back down... but it's sad that Darren lets you bully and intimidate others when they've come to him and complained about you.

[/quote]

Guess what Mary?

You'll never see me back down either.

You libs shut your stupidass mouths and I won't have anything to say will I?

Expecting me to be the one to stop is very "entitled lib" of you though. But won't happen.

I do think its adorable how you think you have the whole world figured out lady, but the death of the Seattle Times forum came about specifically because they tried to do what you're doing and shut me up. Joan's commie liberal bitchass behind the controls trying to stifle one side of the conversation.

We know that's the world you people strive for, but sometimes there's somebody there with a different viewpoint.

You guys leave it on the politics forum, and I agree I will. You don't.. well, then this is what you get.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:32 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am
bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:20 am
I think Moore and Sheffield have earned 2B and SP4. Lewis could drop off even worse and survive just fine in CF, he's an easy Yes on getting another season.

Dunn still seems like he might be a fine 7th inning guy, but didn't earn a spot when we should be contending, imo 🤷‍♂️
Nothing about Dunn leads me to believe he is a reliever in today's game. Lack of control and velocity. His only hope is like a #5 starter if his control improves. What's crazy is his BB/9 was 2.7 with Ark and 6.1 this season. He get's it to 2.7 and he is in business.
I think he could have a bump in velocity in the pen similar to your guy Swanson. I think that he has more movement to his pitches than Swanson though, and it would play better in the pen. I haven't looked into if his curve has been effective though. He didn't throw one in 2019 in the majors (haven't checked the minors). He threw 24 % in 2020 and his slider went from 34 % down to 15 %. I think in the pen he'd probably go back to fastball/slider combo and ditch the curve, and would sit around 95-96
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Lincoln2207

Post by Lincoln2207 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:14 am

There were reports from the time we traded for him that Dunn should be a reliever because his best approach is fastball/slider; his attempts at developing a curve have at least to this point not served him particularly well. Someone in the last day or so said they think he'd be fine as a 7th inning reliever; at this point I'm afraid he might be correct, although a good set up guy in the majors is not something to be ashamed of, and God knows we need a good bullpen. With our three young righthanders, Marco, Sheffield, and the younger ones I think our starting pitching should be ok in the future, although of course it goes without saying that landing a stud #1 in free agency would be spectacular.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 30, 2021 4:54 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:02 am
Lincoln2207 wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:54 am
"Anyway, just wanted to talk about actual baseball in the baseball forum for some reason."

Thank you, Julio, what a relief. At the risk of starting up another shit storm, I want to say I'm furious with several of you for dumping on the forum the way you did. In case you haven't noticed, several long-time reliable posters haven't said a word since a very few of you spewed hatred on what is supposed to be a BASEBALL forum. Most noticeable in his absence about all this hateful talk about the virus is the only doctor in the forum, Sexy. Gee, why do you think that is? Maybe it is because what most of you vomited out was ridiculous from a scientific point of view.

It is remarkable to me that people who can be so intelligent about baseball can be so arrogant, ignorant, and stupid about politics. Amazing. Of those who posted about the virus, I think only Darren and Terry know me personally, and I've got to say I am really disappointed in you.

So I welcome a return to our beloved sport.
Look at Mr. Soapbox, doing exactly what you're bitching about because you're a lib and used to getting away with saying anything and going unchallenged, because its not a problem when YOU want to come toss your opinion in-, just another dim light that thinks you're right about the virus in the face of all the evidence.

Sexy is probably embarrassed for the false hysteria he helped perpetuate among you CNN zombies.

Get a clue, you people got played.
You people got played. We told you so.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun May 30, 2021 4:57 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:32 am
Dylan Moore or Kyle Lewis?

Justus Sheffield or Justin Dunn?

Lewis and Sheffield are the guys that most people had the most hope for, and both probably exceeded expectations. Dunn and Moore are 2 young guys that we probably didn't expect as much out of, but far exceeded expectations. Which of the 2 for each group do you think was more likely a product of a small sample size in the weird season, and which do you think is going to continue their success from last season moving forward.

I'd have to say I'm still a bit worried about Lewis. His BABIP in the first 20 games was an anomoly, and he really struggled the last 20ish. The middle of the season was the most encouraging part of the season for me. I'm still a fan, and hopeful, but for some reason a big regression scares me. I think Moore will be solid. He may not put up the same numbers he did this last season, but I think he's a .250/.350/.425 guy, so maybe a little less power than he showed over the course of a 160 game season.

As for Pitchers, I gotta say I think that Sheffield is the guy. Dunn was good, but he wasn't near as dominant as Sheffield. I think Sheffield figured it out and he's going to be a solid #3 type pitcher for a while.

Anyway, just wanted to talk about actual baseball in the baseball forum for some reason.
Well, I was completely off about Dunn vs Sheffield and both Moore and Lewis have regressed a bit...
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez