Where do we stand on Kelenic?

What is your oppinion of Kelenic after his strong start to the Spring?

He is finally reaching his potential
53%
He will still suck when the bright lights come on
30%
Trade him now while you can still get something for him
17%

Total votes: 30

bpj

Re: Where do we stand on Kelenic?

Post by bpj » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:34 pm
mostonmike wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:22 pm
Pleased the lad is showing some tremendous form. However, a legendary soccer manager coined a phrase that “form is temporary but class is permanent”. It’s still too early to say if he is a class act yet. I hope he is, but enough evidence exists that he isn’t.
Seems a bit harsh, the evidence points to him not having class? Class more or less equates to style? His style is emotional?
Yes. Kid whined like a little bitch every time he disagreed with a third strike call the last two years. And 90% of the time it was a strike!

Maybe (hopefully) he's changed, but can't take back what we watched the last two years. He whined again just the other day when he was wrong about another low strike call, so guessing he hasn't actually changed much.

It's nice to see his production finally match the love he receives from most of the fanbase though.

True test will be how he rebounds after getting screwed by the ump a couple times and pitchers stop throwing him straight fastballs.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:41 pm

And fans disliked Ackley's stoicism, got to hit that happy medium, not too stoic, not too emotional

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:39 pm

I'm mainly worried about the possibility that he has been taking prohibited substances. Was he anywhere near this strong last year?

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:49 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:39 pm
I'm mainly worried about the possibility that he has been taking prohibited substances. Was he anywhere near this strong last year?
He is a gym rat doubt it’s anything illegal.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:55 pm

Remember Tyler O'Neil? That beast used to bench press 425 lbs. His father used to be a professional bodybuilder.

https://fox2now.com/sports/st-louis-car ... -find-out/

I think some of these guys are just strong because they're gym rats. Tyler and Jarred don't surprise me.

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
mostonmike wrote:
Pleased the lad is showing some tremendous form. However, a legendary soccer manager coined a phrase that “form is temporary but class is permanent”. It’s still too early to say if he is a class act yet. I hope he is, but enough evidence exists that he isn’t.
Seems a bit harsh, the evidence points to him not having class? Class more or less equates to style? His style is emotional?
Vogelbomb wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:31 am
Bro, it's obvious that he's changed from the hitter he was last yr. You can say he evidence exists that he wasn't, but not that he isn't. I agree with you, it has just been 12 games, let's see him prove it over 162. I think he's about to. I am here for Kelenic's breakout 2023. If the Mariners get nothing else out of 23 but Kelenic posting a 900+ ops, that in itself will be a win as we head to 2024.

Bob Paisley’s quote (for it is he I was referring to if you go back) was aimed at teams and individuals who hit a purple patch of form and thus couldn’t yet be judged be have been class performers in his view. The phrase challenges the concept that you are only as good as how you performed in your last game - or last few games. Maybe I need to quit the analogies that culturally don’t always translate.

I was just trying to refer to the fact that this spell of form might be temporary. The great thing is that he has achieved it with a clear change in approach and it’s delivering as Vogey says. That has to be a pointer to where he might be able to go.

If he has has the wrong attitude, he will start to think he is over the line and has now “made it” as a big league player. He could become arrogant and think he is second coming of [insert legend of choice here] and fail miserably. His approach was at times questionable before this season - there’s data, articles and not to mention a gazillion threads and posts that act as that evidence I mentioned.

If he is a class act he will continue with the hard work he has clearly put in to get this season off to a flyer. He will push himself to learn from the good spells as well as the bad. He will listen, analyse and push himself to the furthest extremes of what he is capable of.

Harsh? Not at all - this lad now has his own destiny to map out. I sincerely hope he goes on a pathway to the top. I just sense there is something in his character that will stop him from getting there.
Last edited by mostonmike on Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm

From a scouting report
Physical Description: Strong, sturdy, muscled build. Thick lower half, broad shoulders and barrel chested. Physique is matured and optimized. Shows good power and speed in impressive athletic package. Explosive, fluid movements. Unmatched competitive drive with extreme personal expectations. Has yet to face extended adversity in performance.
Last edited by Donn Beach on Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:11 pm

mostonmike wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
mostonmike wrote:
Vogelbomb wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:31 am
Bro, it's obvious that he's changed from the hitter he was last yr. You can say he evidence exists that he wasn't, but not that he isn't. I agree with you, it has just been 12 games, let's see him prove it over 162. I think he's about to. I am here for Kelenic's breakout 2023. If the Mariners get nothing else out of 23 but Kelenic posting a 900+ ops, that in itself will be a win as we head to 2024.

Bob Paisley’s quote (for it is he I was referring to if you go back) was aimed at teams and individuals who hit a purple patch of form and thus couldn’t yet be judged be have been class performers in his view. The phrase challenges the concept that you are only as good as how you performed in your last game - or last few games. Maybe I need to quit the analogies that culturally don’t always translate.

I was just trying to refer to the fact that this spell of form might be temporary. The great thing is that he has achieved it with a clear change in approach and it’s delivering. That has to be a pointer to where he might be able to go.

If he has has the wrong attitude, he will start to think he is over the line and has now “made it” as a big league player. He could become arrogant and think he is second coming of [insert legend of choice here] and fail miserably. His approach was at times questionable before this season - there’s data, articles and not to mention a gazillion threads and posts that act as that evidence I mentioned.

If he is a class act he will continue with the hard work he has clearly put in to get this season off to a flyer. He will push himself to learn from the good spells as well as the bad. He will listen, analyse and push himself to the furthest extremes of what he is capable of.

Harsh? Not at all - this lad now has his own destiny to map out. I sincerely hope he goes on a pathway to the top. I just sense there is something in his character that will stop him from getting there.
Just defining class, that's a bit different for me. I think more in terms of playing fairly, respecting one's opponents, not using drugs.

Believe kelenic has always been considered a hard worker. That was one of the things the optimists would point at. He seemed to get frustrated and let it sidetrack his mechanics. Hopefully this success will give him the confidence to stay glued together through the rough patches

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:19 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:39 pm
He has always had strong legs

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:00 pm
From a scouting report
Physical Description: Strong, sturdy, muscled build. Thick lower half, broad shoulders and barrel chested. Physique is matured and optimized. Shows good power and speed in impressive athletic package. Explosive, fluid movements. Unmatched competitive drive with extreme personal expectations. Has yet to face extended adversity in performance.
Interesting it's in that description. I've commented before, it's said you like to see a guy struggle a bit as they are promoted through the minors, builds character? It's tough to learn about it after you have been called up to the majors