Post by bpj » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:09 am

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:25 pm
bpj wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:53 pm
Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:00 pm

Lmao you lost me at saying Urias is solid
Why do people seem to have such a hard time reading what I write instead of projecting their interpretations on me?

I said the team would be solid.

I don't expect Urias to be much worse than 2023 Suarez. And I don't expect him to be better, but he has some upside. He's just another version of Suarez with a different skillet.

But in addition to three other decent additions, the team would be solid imo.
It’s very possible Suarez is on a downhill trajectory and Urias will at least cover his production with less strikeouts. 3rd should be covered.
That's about what I'm thinking too. I wouldn't bet any money on either guy to be better than the other.

I think Urias is probably a downgrade in general, but if they actually do something to upgrade somewhere else with the money they saved, there's a good chance the team would be better off.

If they just pocket the money as usual and it doesn't help elsewhere, yeah, it's probably a downgrade.

And it's still frustrating that the $6M saved would have any impact at all. But from all indications that represents 25% of their available funds, so it's something.

D-train

Re: $20M To Spend

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:17 am

This is from the Forbes article from 1.5 years ago. This is why Jerry had to dump salary FIRST before adding. They are not willing to invest new money in payroll that isn't generated but either cutting payroll or generating new revenues not related to just winning games.
Most importantly, Stanton says, the club will need to innovate and create “unforgettable experiences” at Mariners games. “That,” he says, “translates into revenue, and revenue translates into resources that allow us to build championship teams.”
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:27 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:17 am
This is from the Forbes article from 1.5 years ago. This is why Jerry had to dump salary FIRST before adding. They are not willing to invest new money in payroll that isn't generated but either cutting payroll or generating new revenues not related to just winning games.
Most importantly, Stanton says, the club will need to innovate and create “unforgettable experiences” at Mariners games. “That,” he says, “translates into revenue, and revenue translates into resources that allow us to build championship teams.”
This is the right take. The ownership group are all (or mostly) corporate executive types that worked exactly in this fashion during their careers, where forecasted revenues led to a budget. They aren't going to take a big risk by expanding payroll beyond what their forecast says is reasonable.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:54 am

This is pretty amazing. When I was growing up there were many more Hawks fans than Ms fans.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:31 pm

I added to my post from yesterday:
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:39 pm

Full article if any missed it last year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jabariyoun ... 62b6512706
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:34 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:34 pm
ice99 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:31 am
I'd rather spend for Snell. I know, this exceeds the $20M.

Then trade a few prospects, to pry a player with a lot of control, someone like Riley Greene.

Then trade for depth, someone who can backup 3B and catch. Someone like David Fry. He's 28 years old, so he shouldn't cost too much in prospects. He's not that great a catcher. But he can hit around 20 hrs on a 600 PA basis. He'd be a utility player and an emergency catcher.
We already have a BU catcher with a .545 OPS, why would we want one with a .734 OPS? ;)

Fry played every position other the middle INF and CF. Seems like a good bench piece for sure.
Must listen:
https://youtu.be/NlS2bTxPYt0?si=NThq2ubr62Fj8_N-

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 pm

Lyle makes the same point I did about their reactionary response to the Root Debacle. VERY possible that it isn't nearly as bad as they fear for one reason or another but they are so risk averse unless the risk is having a shitty team that nobody cares about. That is the biggest risk of all. So bizarre.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Lyle makes the same point I did about their reactionary response to the Root Debacle. VERY possible that it isn't nearly as bad as they fear for one reason or another but they are so risk averse unless the risk is having a shitty team that nobody cares about. That is the biggest risk of all. So bizarre.
Who is Lyle?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:17 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:14 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:11 pm
Who is Lyle?
Marine layer Podcast that Ben just posted with the Youtube link. He also said we were still in on Ohtani because the team store closure last week though so....lol
dt