Minor League Updates

D-train

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 pm

At least we aren't the DSL Twins.............Can't believe they didn't call that game after 7 or even 5.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/dsl-yankees ... ame=598268
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 pm
At least we aren't the DSL Twins.............Can't believe they didn't call that game after 7 or even 5.

It wasn't all that bad; only 30 of the 38 runs were "earned". The little twinkie twins committed 6 errors :shock: Their pitchers walked 11.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm

This month's signings:
Date..........Transaction
07/03/19 Seattle Mariners signed RHP Levi Stoudt.
07/02/19 Seattle Mariners signed RHP Pablo Santana.
07/01/19 Seattle Mariners signed 1B Julio De La Cruz.
Seattle Mariners signed RHP Abrahan Lopez.

Stroudt was the M's 3rd Round pick last month. Great to have him in the fold.
Round 3 (No. 97): Levi Stoudt, RHP, Lehigh University

As a junior in 2019, Stoudt went 3-4 with a 3.53 ERA, 45 strikeouts and 22 walks over 61 1/3 innings, earning a second team All-Patriot League nomination. The 6-1 right-hander pitched eighth games (five starts) for Orleans in the Cape Cod League last summer.

RHP Levi Stoudt comes out of Lehigh University. His profile hinges on his size as much as anything - at 6’1, 195, Stoudt is exactly 21.5 years old today (on June 4th). The profile is one that fits with the Mariners trends since Dipoto has been in charge - good control, decent strikeout numbers. Stoudt was an ace for Lehigh in the Patriot League for three years and held his own in the Cape Cod League as well.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:26 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:52 pm
was perusing Ohtani stuff just now...see where the Rays have three players in their system they are developing as two way players, the focus is more using them as relievers, which i had pointed out when Ohtani came along could be an interesting way to do it. Have a guy that could both play the field and close at the same time. Rays are an interesting club to follow
McKay, Cronenworth and Dodson are the faces of the club’s latest unconventional approach: taking advantage of the two-way player in an era when it’s never been more needed. Pitching staffs have expanded and bullpens have taken on a record number of innings, so, getting two players for the price of one roster spot should have more appeal. Other clubs have also followed the Ohtani experiment to a degree, but it’s the team that championed defensive shifts and the opener that is again at the forefront of asking what is possible.

“A lot of our thought process was having some humility that we don’t necessarily know enough to shove [them] into a box one way or the other,” said Chaim Bloom, vice president of baseball operations for the Rays. “Baseball is such a hard game that I think the number of players that are going to be able to have sufficient skill to do this is still going to be small. But we’ve seen over time in this business that sometimes it takes someone going out and doing it to expand people’s definitions of what might be possible. So we may see that happen here.”
“One of the biggest challenges that comes with this is not just managing in-game workload but structuring practice sufficiently,” Bloom said. “Giving the player enough of a chance to get better at everything he needs to improve at and keep him healthy: That’s something we spent a lot of time thinking about, and we’re learning as we go. We’ve already learned a lot.”

In college, Dodson would often play seven innings in center field before he was summoned to close out the game pitching the eighth and ninth innings. Last summer, in his first stint as a pro, he never pitched or hit in the same game. The Rays mapped out a schedule each week for him. “It was, honestly, a lot easier” than the college setup, Dodson said.

Dodson’s potential path as a reliever/position player — he is also a switch-hitter — could become a route to a more common two-way player: the ultimate utility man.

“Ohtani laid some groundwork, McKay laid some groundwork. I think I’m laying a little different ground work as a reliever,” Dodson said. “I think everything started as something nobody did.”
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... n-the-way/
Ironic that the team with the worst fan base and facility in baseball has one of the best, if not the best FOs.

dt
I marveled at that here for years!

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:31 am

Fraley at .313 in Tacoma. I like that guy!

Where would he play?

LF?

From my home state of MD, played at LSU, great program.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:55 am

Uncle Ray must be very proud....who the F*** is Uncle Ray :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, I stuck by my man while many said he would never hit, never have power and would never make it .299 \ .358 / .484 \ .842. He's on his way......which means White or Vogey will eventually be on Dipoto's trade block.

White was supposed to be a pretty good OFer but hasn't played an inning yet in the M's org.
By Arkansas Travelers | July 3, 2019 8:16 AM

Arkansas Travelers first baseman Evan White was selected as the Uncle Ray's Texas League Player of the Month for June. White played in 22 games during the month posting a slash line of .371/.396/.691 with three doubles, two triples, eight homers and 19 runs batted in. Included in the month was the majority of a 23 game hitting streak, the longest in the TL this season. He paced the league in homers, runs scored (22) and slugging percentage during June. White is the second consecutive Traveler to win the league's player of the month award after Jake Fraley was honored in May.

The former Kentucky Wildcat has been raking in the honors lately. White was voted the starting first baseman for the North Division in the Texas League All-Star game last month,going 2-4 with a double and an RBI. White was also chosen by Major League Baseball to participate in the Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game scheduled for this Sunday night, July 7, in Cleveland. Overall this season in 55 games, he is hitting .299/.358/.484 with 10 homers and 28 RBIs. He ranks sixth in the league in batting average and slugging percentage. The winner of a 2018 Rawlings Minor League Gold Glove Award, White was drafted by the Mariners in the first round, 17th overall, in 2017.

White and the Travs wrap up a road trip tonight at Northwest Arkansas before returning to Dickey-Stephens Park for a 5:30 game on Independence Day. The Travs were the first half North Division champions and will host the opening two playoff games at Dickey-Stephens Park on September 4 and 5. Tickets for home playoff games are now on sale through the Travs box office. For all the latest information or to purchase tickets to any Travs games, log on to travs.com.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
https://www.milb.com/arkansas/news/evan ... -308718622

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:21 am

rockycola wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm
D-train wrote:

It wasn't all that bad; only 30 of the 38 runs were "earned". The little twinkie twins committed 6 errors :shock: Their pitchers walked 11.
Our DSL crew gave up 10 errors the other day.

Lewis has 2 hits in his last 21 abs, such a stop start season for the guy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:30 am

Dr Naysay wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:21 am
rockycola wrote:
D-train wrote:

Our DSL crew gave up 10 errors the other day.

Lewis has 2 hits in his last 21 abs, such a stop start season for the guy.
Saw the OPS was back down to .710 and he turns 24 in a week and a half. Running out of time.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:05 am

rockycola wrote:
D-train wrote:

They also gave up 11 doubles,1 triple and 5 HRs,, or was it 6 :?

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:08 am

rockycola wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:55 am
Uncle Ray must be very proud....who the F*** is Uncle Ray :?: :?: :?:

Anyway, I stuck by my man while many said he would never hit, never have power and would never make it .299 \ .358 / .484 \ .842. He's on his way......which means White or Vogey will eventually be on Dipoto's trade block.

White was supposed to be a pretty good OFer but hasn't played an inning yet in the M's org.
By Arkansas Travelers | July 3, 2019 8:16 AM

Arkansas Travelers first baseman Evan White was selected as the Uncle Ray's Texas League Player of the Month for June. White played in 22 games during the month posting a slash line of .371/.396/.691 with three doubles, two triples, eight homers and 19 runs batted in. Included in the month was the majority of a 23 game hitting streak, the longest in the TL this season. He paced the league in homers, runs scored (22) and slugging percentage during June. White is the second consecutive Traveler to win the league's player of the month award after Jake Fraley was honored in May.

The former Kentucky Wildcat has been raking in the honors lately. White was voted the starting first baseman for the North Division in the Texas League All-Star game last month,going 2-4 with a double and an RBI. White was also chosen by Major League Baseball to participate in the Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game scheduled for this Sunday night, July 7, in Cleveland. Overall this season in 55 games, he is hitting .299/.358/.484 with 10 homers and 28 RBIs. He ranks sixth in the league in batting average and slugging percentage. The winner of a 2018 Rawlings Minor League Gold Glove Award, White was drafted by the Mariners in the first round, 17th overall, in 2017.

White and the Travs wrap up a road trip tonight at Northwest Arkansas before returning to Dickey-Stephens Park for a 5:30 game on Independence Day. The Travs were the first half North Division champions and will host the opening two playoff games at Dickey-Stephens Park on September 4 and 5. Tickets for home playoff games are now on sale through the Travs box office. For all the latest information or to purchase tickets to any Travs games, log on to travs.com.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.
https://www.milb.com/arkansas/news/evan ... -308718622
I don't know why you would need to put one of them on the trade block because they could both be 1B/DH obviously White would need to see more of the field.