Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Sexymarinersfan

Re: Finally! Official Hot Stove League Thread

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:33 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:34 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:50 pm
The Mariners and Blue Jays GM's both acknowledged after the Teoscar Hernández trade, that they are "IN" on Kodai Senga. If we're not going to empty the bank on a premier SS, then please for the love if God go and get Senga! He wont require a posting fee, nor will any team have to surrender a draft pick if he signs. He could be one if the best available pitcher's on the market this offseason. Maybe not DeGrom, but the next tier down. So far, all I know is that he's met with the Mets, and "talks went very well."
What are the odds we land both him & Yoshida?
Considering how many suitors they both have, I'd say that the chances are "fair" that we land one of them. I'm not holding my breath for both, but really hoping we can at least get one. If I had a preference, it'd be for Senga.

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:09 am

:shock:
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:41 pm
OT just so you guys know that D-train isn't one dimensional. Here is an amazing musician. The reactions by the Judges alone are worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxhqGbu0ndA

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am

Just ran across this video that gives a great case for not signing Trea Turner, not that I think the Mariners were ever likely to do that. But the video does a great job of explaining why the Dodgers in particular aren't making an effort to keep him, or at least they don't seem to be right now.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-XP0R7lE

He makes two main points: 1) Turner's chase rate indicates his hit tool will fall off more rapidly as he loses the ability to make contact out of the zone and 2) speed and baserunning are a huge part of his productive value and when this goes (which it will) his value will drop precipitously.

Although he's talking about Turner specifically, all of these shortstops will experience declining skills. I think giving any of them $300 million or more is just completely insane, but giving that money to Turner is another level of crazy.

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:01 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:21 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:09 am
The Mariners should be intent on leaving LF to either Trammell or Kelenic. Let them show up in Peoria and compete for the job. JK has 1 option yr left, Trammell does not, can be the 4th OF if he doesn't win the job. Can play all 3 OF spots.

I have faith that Kelenic wins the job. You can allow him to hit 8th and get better all year if you upgrade at SS and DH.

The Mariners should also not worry about SP. Trade Flexen and Marco. Sign a reliever or two (or trade). I like Matt Moore, Andrew Chafin, Matt Boyd. Isaiah Campbell and Bryce Miller could be close. For the 5 spot I see Hancock winning the job over Dollard and Brash, but it could be Dollard, too.
Agree regarding the rotation but sorry your faith in JK is completely Blind, like Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles and Helen Keller blind deaf and dumb.

He hit .141 with a .534 OPS and finished the season 5 for 51 for God's sake. Zero reason to expect him to hit. None zip nada.
I almost responded to this post also, but I saw that he said they could go with Kelenic if they upgraded at SS and DH.

He's not exactly wrong... they probably could get away with it. It's just.. why would you?

Would sure be nice to see them just upgrade all obvious holes after they've sat on their wallets the last few years.

Just seems like there's zero reason to take a chance on Kelenic when we're contenders, he has an option left, and there are plenty of upgrades available on the market.

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:57 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:42 am
Just ran across this video that gives a great case for not signing Trea Turner, not that I think the Mariners were ever likely to do that. But the video does a great job of explaining why the Dodgers in particular aren't making an effort to keep him, or at least they don't seem to be right now.

He makes two main points: 1) Turner's chase rate indicates his hit tool will fall off more rapidly as he loses the ability to make contact out of the zone and 2) speed and baserunning are a huge part of his productive value and when this goes (which it will) his value will drop precipitously.

Although he's talking about Turner specifically, all of these shortstops will experience declining skills. I think giving any of them $300 million or more is just completely insane, but giving that money to Turner is another level of crazy.
Which is why I prefer Bogaerts. He'll probably give you the most bang for you're buck, even though the contract will still probably be lopsided in favor of the plater. Hopefully they could do something in the 5-6 year range. I know he's going to probably want +7.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:38 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:57 am
GL_Storm wrote:

Which is why I prefer Bogaerts. He'll probably give you the most bang for you're buck, even though the contract will still probably be lopsided in favor of the plater. Hopefully they could do something in the 5-6 year range. I know he's going to probably want +7.
XB has publicly proclaimed that if you want him to move off SS you can F right off. Good for him.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:08 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:38 pm
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:57 am
GL_Storm wrote:

XB has publicly proclaimed that if you want him to move off SS you can F right off. Good for him.
I have no problem with that. JP can man up and move the F over then. I doubt we sign him. We have a better shot at Yoshida or Senga than any of the 4 SS. I'll be surprised if we're even in the hunt for one tbh.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:09 pm

My God, the level of delusion required to think this is just a massive LSD/Peyote/Mushroom Cocktail level of Hallucination that I can't even begin to imagine.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:09 pm
My God, the level of delusion required to think this is just a massive LSD/Peyote/Mushroom Cocktail level of Hallucination that I can't even begin to imagine.
Excellent analysis piece from Prospect Insider on Kolten Wong. The better not overpay for a player who is on the decline. Milwaukee will be sure to want to maximize their return. Seattle's analytics department is too smart for this.

https://prospectinsider.com/mariners-br ... lten-wong/

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:44 pm

dt