Post by DanielVogelbach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:24 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:18 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Not available.
If not available, then not available... you didn't have the right stat to go after Johns on Twitter. He was talking improvement over the course of 2019, and you dropped a stat for the entirety of 2019.

We all know Johns tries to put a positive spin on everything; that's what he's paid to do. I don't expect him to focus on the shortcomings of the Mariners, but I also trust his reporting to be factual. Are we saying this guy hasn't made some improvement in the outfield? I have no idea, as I have not been watching the games.
Sorry but you must be math challenged. He is 28th of 30 for a full season. Let's assume he was dead last for the first two months of the season. What is the absolute best he could be for the last 4 months. 26th? Maybe 25th. How in the F does that = elite? Maybe he was elite last night. lol
I have not been watching the games. Mathematically, you could be rated the worst fielder in baseball for May and the best fielder in baseball for September.

Donn Beach

Re: Mariners Dunn.... Astros just getting started.. GT

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:34 pm

I thought finding out about the Outs Above Average metric was interesting, thought it was an interesting article if you bother to read it, thanks for posting

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Fangraphs and baseball-reference which are the basis for the only credible War calculations have him rated extremely negatively defensively. But good for him for pulling some Oddball metric out of his ass to "prove" his point.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:18 pm

I think his speed is allowing him to get to some balls that rate into the "unlikely" category. 3 balls exactly.

I think John's took this one from "Inside Edge Fielding", which you can see on Fangraphs.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?p ... F#fielding

Mallex has caught 3 out of 5 "unlikely" outs hit to him. Mike Trout is 0 for 6 on those.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:28 am

statcast is odd ball?..sure, makes more sense to rely on fans sitting in the bleachers to generate defensive metrics...

Using a combination of cameras and radar to track the ball in every position it reaches as well as every player on the field at all times, offering a theoretically perfect or at least perfectible view of every game played in every major-league season, Statcast offers nearly limitless possibilities for baseball analysis by producing an incredible amount of raw data, some of which is packaged into specific metrics designed by a team of people at MLBAM. There are statistics meant to help others make sense of the information, statistics meant to work as storytelling tools, statistics meant to create additional layers of meaning and context for this vast new knowledge base, and statistics meant to fulfill varying combinations of these functions. When Statcast was rolled out across the league and to the public in 2015, route efficiency was among the most prominent of these metrics, aiming to capture, more or less, just what its name described—how efficient a route an outfielder took to get to a ball, with 0 percent being the least efficient and 100 percent being the most.

https://deadspin.com/major-league-baseb ... 1820987737

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:52 am

The majority of defensive stats are trash.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:50 am

that is why i find the statcast stuff interesting, this is MLB entering the analytical side of stat development. I hadn't realized they had begun generating this stuff. This is what was being talked about when they announced the equipment and here it is, something more than exit velocity