An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Seattle or Bust
Posts: 11967
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:56 pm

Donn Beach wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:51 pm
Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:49 pm
Donn Beach wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:47 pm



Not sure what you're getting at by a players manager. Lou was very much a players manager. I'd say that was the key to his success. Lou wasn't about chewing out players, he was about loving his players. He got away with his volatility because of how much he cared for them.
Donn you really don't know how to take something someone says and not apply the most black and white definition of it to it... do you?

Nobody is saying that all Lou did was chew out players over and over again and that's what made him successful. Yet you reduce people's wanting a Lou style approach as a manager to that pretty much whenever it is brought up.

Sure, he showed up for his players. He also held them very, very much accountable. He often did so not so kindly.
But what's your definition of a players manager? In my mind, Lou was a players manager
Lou is a balance of a guy who supports his players but also holds them accountable.

Torry Lovullo is the perfect definition of what is wrong in today's managerial style...

He clearly coddled Ketel Marte.

It took him 2x years to say this... but it's an astonishing admission.

"The decisions you make are going to be on you now. I am going to eliminate protecting you the way I have. I can't do that anymore. At a certain point, I have to allow them (players) to advocate for themselves. "

Lou would have sent Marte home and told him to get his fucking shit together before stepping another toe in his dugout.

To that effect, that fact that Julio was DJing an event at 10pm after a night game is the perfect representation.

If I were the manager, I'd be questioning his focus and would never ever allow that shit to fly.

Donn Beach
Posts: 21121
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:10 pm

I think that's a misconception. That's always been a basic element of managing, protecting players. What he's getting at is being a buffer between them and the press.
"I'm going to eliminate protecting you the way I have," Lovullo said. "And I will allow you to go out there and answer the questions on your own behalf instead of me protecting you. I think I would change my tune in that way."
It's interesting he's come out and said he wouldn't anymore

Seattle or Bust
Posts: 11967
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:10 pm
I think that's a misconception. That's always been a basic element of managing, protecting players. What he's getting at is being a buffer between them and the press.
"I'm going to eliminate protecting you the way I have," Lovullo said. "And I will allow you to go out there and answer the questions on your own behalf instead of me protecting you. I think I would change my tune in that way."
It's interesting he's come out and said he wouldn't anymore
He's saying he won't anymore probably because there was some clear feedback to him that it doesn't work and has a negative impact on the clubhouse. His coming back was probably contingent on stepping up more in this regard.

There were rumors that other players were frustrated at Lovullo giving Marte different treatment and coddling him.

You can protect players from the media... fine... but what accountability to players have to figure their shit out so they no longer need protection from the media? For almost every player, that shouldn't be in question.

Julio's mental lapses, DJing, giggling... eventually he needs a manager who shoves a stick up his ass that forever stays there.

Donn Beach
Posts: 21121
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:47 pm

Yeah, I basically agree with that. That the players were pissed at marte is an element. A manager needs to be careful with how players feel about a situation. I feel Wakamatsu lost the clubhouse and his job over how he handled the Griffey napping situation. It can get tricky.

I heard a Lou story years ago. I can't remember the player, or how it went exactly but for me it typified Lou's gift. It was an at bat, the final at bat? The player took a called strike three? He went back to the dugout and Lou asked, what did you do that for? Something like that. In the discussion the player made the comment that "it didn't matter anyway ". And Lou went nuts, he loses it, it didn't matter? The player goes home thinking he's screwed, benched, who knows. The next day at the park it's completely forgotten. Lou is his happy self again. Lou could be tough but on the other hand he had no memory. I think that was one of the keys to players playing hard for him, how it worked. And it's not that easy

Donn Beach
Posts: 21121
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 1:06 am

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:26 pm

Here you go guys, it's not just the mariners, it's how it's done these days. This guy calling out a particular team or manager, it's baseball, all the goofy stuff, it's baseball

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1bh9dKBoSw/

Seattle or Bust
Posts: 11967
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:09 pm

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Seattle or Bust » Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:40 pm

Donn Beach wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:26 pm
Here you go guys, it's not just the mariners, it's how it's done these days. This guy calling out a particular team or manager, it's baseball, all the goofy stuff, it's baseball

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/1bh9dKBoSw/
I completely agree with him.

I think the M's celebration is relatively tame w. the trident. I also think the players on the M's do a good job of not over doing it when they're losing and hit a homer.

But ya, putting that stupid thing on your head down 8-2 in an elimination game? Ridiculous.

User avatar
D-train
Posts: 83272
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:33 am
Location: Quincy, MA

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 02, 2026 6:49 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:19 pm
D-train wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:10 pm
If letting go of Bobby was step one what the f*** was step two? And step three?
The move also made no sense lol.

You try to prove a point by firing an assistant hitting coach? A guy nobody had heard of?

That is supposed to create urgency?
He said in season and moves are difficult. You know what else is difficult Jerry losing 14 more games than you did last season and missing the Playoffs because you couldn't even manage a 500 season.
dt

Optimistic M's Fan
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:05 pm
Location: Hockwold, England

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Optimistic M's Fan » Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:58 pm

I am actually wondering if this is the offseason that we actually bump payroll above 180m. I know everyone will shit on it and say no, but they HAVE to be feeling the pressure from this season. An extra 15 mil or so wont break them and they have to figure that will take the heat off them a bit. It genuinely wont shock me if thats the case.
Used to be Balefire UK, now I'm optimistic!

User avatar
GL_Storm
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:05 pm

Optimistic M's Fan wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:58 pm
I am actually wondering if this is the offseason that we actually bump payroll above 180m. I know everyone will shit on it and say no, but they HAVE to be feeling the pressure from this season. An extra 15 mil or so wont break them and they have to figure that will take the heat off them a bit. It genuinely wont shock me if thats the case.
What are they going to get with a larger payroll?

User avatar
Bil522
Posts: 2918
Joined: Fri May 03, 2019 12:52 am

Re: An off-season plan based on Dipoto and Hollander's comments.

Post by Bil522 » Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:28 pm

GL_Storm wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 8:05 pm
Optimistic M's Fan wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 02, 2026 7:58 pm
I am actually wondering if this is the offseason that we actually bump payroll above 180m. I know everyone will shit on it and say no, but they HAVE to be feeling the pressure from this season. An extra 15 mil or so wont break them and they have to figure that will take the heat off them a bit. It genuinely wont shock me if thats the case.
What are they going to get with a larger payroll?
I think George Springer is needed. He is a clutch player when playing and could help them as a RH bat vs.Lefties.

Post Reply