Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Donn Beach

Re: Why can't the Mariners sign a free agent hitter?

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:45 pm

Some hawk debate lol...my point was the hawks are a lot more entertaining. The NFL really isn't known for its trades, and it's been the hawks that have brought the big one just about every off season. That to me is because they are in it to compete, every season. It's not the mariners devoting season after season to their rebuilding programs...and the fact is, they have delivered a lot of wins

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:47 pm

So just read this over lunch.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1595849/ ... ecial-bat/

Asst GM says Winker was the best lefty bat available and if you go by last season's OPS he was. But if all 4 of these guys were available would you choose Winker? Note their wRC+ numbers are much closer because Winker plays at the Reds Ballpark which is great for hitters. (I left Kelenic in there to show what a shit show he was compared to actual good hitters)

I think they found the other three undesirable because of the following:

Olson: Would have cost top prospects
Schwarber: Consider him a DH even though he is better than Winker defensively AND he would cost a lot of coin
FF: Too much money

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=10,d
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:47 pm
So just read this over lunch.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1595849/ ... ecial-bat/

Asst GM says Winker was the best lefty bat available and if you go by last season's OPS he was. But if all 4 of these guys were available would you choose Winker? Note their wRC+ numbers are much closer because Winker plays at the Reds Ballpark which is great for hitters. (I left Kelenic in there to show what a shit show he was compared to actual good hitters)

I think they found the other three undesirable because of the following:

Olson: Would have cost top prospects
Schwarber: Consider him a DH even though he is better than Winker defensively AND he would cost a lot of coin
FF: Too much money

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx? ... &sort=10,d
In the end it comes down to money and what they want to pay for

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:33 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:44 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:04 pm
It's interesting to me how pitcher oriented things seem to be, not that I strongly disagree. But on the other hand, the team they roll out sure looks to be lacking defense. That seems like a conflict to me, how it impacts the pitching. Dipolo won't sign schwarber but will trade for Winker?
Yeah, I was going to say, the Hawks do goofy shit too but when you are successful you can get away with it. This is JDs SEVENTH season and still hasn't even made the playoffs, yet he gets extended AND promoted, for what exactly? Coming up with "novel" ways to do things that don't result in making the playoffs???? No, because he has saved them hundreds of millions by trading Cano and other and coming up with trades instead of just paying FAs.
But my point is what you çall goofy for dipoto I'm calling conservative. Hawks trading for Adams and dipotos 6 man rotation are opposites to me
I wouldn't call the Adams trade goofy. Everyone thought it was a good trade at the time. Talking more about their unorthodox 1st draft picks that leaves everyone scratch their heads.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:53 pm
Check this out, JK is actually worse than Winker and Schwarber in UZR/150. Ignore the rows with Small sample sizes and only focus on the ones with 600-800 innings.

defense.JPG
Yeah, thought it interesting schoenfield pointing out the scariness of winker and jk playing next to each other in an outfield, dipoto had to have considered that.
JD sure did a great job of hiding the fact that JK was so bad defensively. I full expected him to be above average or even elite given how good of shape he is in. How about you guys?
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Yeah, I was going to say, the Hawks do goofy shit too but when you are successful you can get away with it. This is JDs SEVENTH season and still hasn't even made the playoffs, yet he gets extended AND promoted, for what exactly? Coming up with "novel" ways to do things that don't result in making the playoffs???? No, because he has saved them hundreds of millions by trading Cano and other and coming up with trades instead of just paying FAs.
But my point is what you çall goofy for dipoto I'm calling conservative. Hawks trading for Adams and dipotos 6 man rotation are opposites to me
I wouldn't call the Adams trade goofy. Everyone thought it was a good trade at the time. Talking more about their unorthodox 1st draft picks that leaves everyone scratch their heads.
I don't think everyone agreed it was a good trade.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:17 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:12 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:50 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

I don't think everyone agreed it was a good trade.
The general sentiment at the time was that they suck at drafting in the first round so might as well trade those picks. Which is more of an indictment on drafting than blessing the trade so yeah, I guess you are right. lol
dt