D-train

Re: M’s get Luis Urias from red sox

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:18 pm

Just a guy...... :roll:
dt

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:23 pm

Jerry is like a rich guy who spends his time buying shit at Goodwill in the hopes he finds a bargain so he can brag about his “great deal”. Meanwhile other teams just save time and buy what they need…

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 pm

Here the thing that is so nuts. They trade Sewald at the deadline basically giving up on the season. Barely miss the playoffs. Why did they do that? Because they needed a 2B. They got Rojas AND Bliss both 2Bs. Now after Rojas puts up 0.8 WAR in just 134 PAs and a 103 OPS+ they trade another good reliever for another 2B giving us 5 guys that can play 2B on the ML roster and Bliss in AAA. Insanity.
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:01 pm
Here the thing that is so nuts. They trade Sewald at the deadline basically giving up on the season. Barely miss the playoffs. Why did they do that? Because they needed a 2B. They got Rojas AND Bliss both 2Bs. Now after Rojas puts up 0.8 WAR in just 134 PAs and a 103 OPS+ they trade another good reliever for another 2B giving us 5 guys that can play 2B on the ML roster and Bliss in AAA. Insanity.
ANd the thing is the Spaghetti theory nonsense is not cheap:
The cost to acquire is not to be ignored, but France, Luis, Rojas, Moore, Haggerty, Jose C, $=
And whatever Bliss and Jose C. get

That is right at 20 million dollars for a bunch of maybe's and bounce backs. And then you factor in the 24M wasted on White and the 12.250M wasted for signing Marco look like a bunch of misallocated funds. Even if you pull France's money out it is still :shock:
Last edited by Pharmabro on Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:45 pm

So riddle me this. If they are so amazing at pulling relievers out of their asses and they are a dime a dozen, whey didn't they DFA one of the 13 of them on the 40 man roster instead of the one Good DH we had on the roster.
dt

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:52 pm

The swap was negotiated, or at least overseen, by two increasing rare chief baseball executives who played at the Major League level.

Craig Breslow, chief baseball officer for the Boston Red Sox, and Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Seattle Mariners, both had relatively long careers as MLB relievers. Breslow and Dipoto have identical career bWAR of 6.3, Breslow over 12 MLB seasons and Dipoto over eight seasons. FanGraphs gives Dipoto the edge over Breslow in career fWAR, 5.1 to 2.0.

Curious stats without meaning.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:58 pm

harmony wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:52 pm
The swap was negotiated, or at least overseen, by two increasing rare chief baseball executives who played at the Major League level.

Craig Breslow, chief baseball officer for the Boston Red Sox, and Jerry Dipoto, president of baseball operations for the Seattle Mariners, both had relatively long careers as MLB relievers. Breslow and Dipoto have identical career bWAR of 6.3, Breslow over 12 MLB seasons and Dipoto over eight seasons. FanGraphs gives Dipoto the edge over Breslow in career fWAR, 5.1 to 2.0.

Curious stats without meaning.
Breslow went to Yale and Jerry went to VCU.
dt

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:54 am

I just listened to the locked on guys make their case and I'm warming to the trade a little bit. It's obviously not a sure thing but looking at the player's 2021 and 2022 seasons, and his present age, there's obviously some chance of a return to form, in which case this deal will be a screaming success. And it sounds like he has a minor league option, which increases his value as well. As for Campbell being the guy going to the Red Sox, I still don't quite get that but it might have come down to a swap of rostered players, meaning if the Mariners were going to bring Urias into the org and roster him, maybe they felt like dealing from the 40 made the most sense.

And also, as I've said a number of times when we talk about 2B possibilities, the position is nearly a wasteland of talent at the major league level. I mean, sure, there are some very good players, but then it's a quick dropoff to a lot of fringe types with incomplete skillsets.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:57 am

He also suffered a serious hamstring injury beginning of last season so there is an explanation for the poor performance. His numbers by the end of the season with Boston weren't good but not terrible either 225/.361/.337

seattlefan-daBronx

Post by seattlefan-daBronx » Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:39 am

Watching Urias highlights I'm starting to think that Geno is a gonner.
I'm predicting either a trade with Toronto who wants Geno or a Jeimer Candelario acquisition.
Pronouns: Kiss/My/Ass