Minor League Updates

Juliooooo

Re: Minor League Updates

Post by Juliooooo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:26 pm

D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Saying it's between him and Healy right now is like saying the Dem nomination for Potus is down to Biden or Jay Inslee.
Point is, there is no reason to write off White as a possible future 1B at this point in time.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:26 pm
D-train wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:22 pm

Saying it's between him and Healy right now is like saying the Dem nomination for Potus is down to Biden or Jay Inslee.
Point is, there is no reason to write off White as a possible future 1B at this point in time.
I agree. I guess that could sign Smoak. He is an FA this off season. :)
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:02 pm

I consider Healy a 1B even less than White. He hurt himself right into a DFA as far as I'm concerned.

He doesn't have the bat for 1B. Even if he had a gold glove. He's kind of like White. No amount of defense will make his bat ok at 1B.

That's why they need to get a 1B. Because if they dont, they're counting on White. Which seems like a terrible idea given his Healyesque bat.

And no, defense won't carry a .730 OPS at first base.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:02 pm
I consider Healy a 1B even less than White. He hurt himself right into a DFA as far as I'm concerned.

He doesn't have the bat for 1B. Even if he had a gold glove. He's kind of like White. No amount of defense will make his bat ok at 1B.

That's why they need to get a 1B. Because if they dont, they're counting on White. Which seems like a terrible idea given his Healyesque bat.

Definitely need an .800 OPS minimum. I think he can get there based on his .840 OPS after a terrible start and playing all season in a pitching friendly league. At least he isn't Lewis with 4 HRs. Now that's a guy that will need a miracle.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:52 pm

bpj wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:02 pm

btw if I could win $1 million dollars by correctly picking who was on the 2021 roster and had to choose between Santana and White. I would go with White without much deliberation. I might even do the same for the 2020 roster. I could see Santana getting traded this offseason.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 am

If they can't get an extension done they have to trade him at some point soon.

He's at a perfect age where a contract that buys out a couple years of free agency at 8 or 10 million makes sense for both sides.

I'd work hard to get a reasonable extension. If not, that's the circle of baseball life. Except the Mariners who just let contracts expire and get nothing.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:22 am

My namesake Darren McCaughan with another nice outing. 6 innings and only one run. ERA down to 2.55. He will turn 24 for next ST, will get a ST invite and might have an outside shot for a backend rotation spot.

Tui and Gerber with clean innings. Both have 0.00 ERAs in Arkansas.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 am

bpj wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 am

He's at a perfect age where a contract that buys out a couple years of free agency at 8 or 10 million makes sense for both sides.

I'd work hard to get a reasonable extension. If not, that's the circle of baseball life. Except the Mariners who just let contracts expire and get nothing.
I didn't realize he was already arb eligible with only two more years of control. He is making $2M this season. Guessing that jumps to $5MM next season. Still cheap so they probably just keep him and maybe trade him in about a year. Can't see them extending him with all the OFers in the system.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:39 am

D-train wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:26 am
bpj wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:11 am

I didn't realize he was already arb eligible with only two more years of control. He is making $2M this season. Guessing that jumps to $5MM next season. Still cheap so they probably just keep him and maybe trade him in about a year. Can't see them extending him with all the OFers in the system.
They need to. I dont see any other 30 home run outfielders anywhere in that bunch. If they're putting Sally White at 1B, they definitely need more pop from the corner outfield than Fraley.