Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

D-train

Re: Ok let's bust these idiotic myths once and for all

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:11 pm
Sure, in signing Kris Bryant, the Rockies are getting a player with a career fWAR of 31.8 and a career wRC+ of 134 — offense that the Rockies desperately need, especially given Trevor Story’s decision to sign with the Red Sox. But there’s more to it than that. When a team signs a player to a seven-year, $182 million contract, they’re looking for more than his on-field skills.

In addition to becoming the face of the Rockies, Bryant is a message to fans: It’s a new day, and the Rockies are trying to win
That there, when are the mariners going to do that? I think it might begin with convincing a quality offensive FA of it. Yeah, they might even have to over spend. Like the rangers going into the off season talking about a desire to spend and realizing they weren't in a position to ask for discounts. Looked at what they accomplished. Dipoto should be embarrassed
You think JD could have offered Semien and Seager a half Billions???? :shock: Its ownership. As you said a few months ago, why wouldn't JD spend every penny he had available to him???
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:26 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:07 am
Good thread here:
This team doesn’t have IT......Which is hard to express

Doesn’t have the Paul Allen win it and enjoy the accolades

Doesn’t have the empathy to even be decent to players and family

And add in being cheap basterds and we are screwed....maybe Jerry does get a cut of profit sharing
Fantastic point! I absolutely think he is incentivized based on that. As I've said, he was extended AND promoted and I don't think it was because of our 3 WS titles.
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:42 pm

Extended and promoted ....They love Jerry and why not. He has made them competitive without opening up the checkbook. This off-season could have been epic, now we will fight to better last year

It always reminds me of the Chuck and Howie show of giving the fans a fun experience at the park

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:20 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:11 pm
Sure, in signing Kris Bryant, the Rockies are getting a player with a career fWAR of 31.8 and a career wRC+ of 134 — offense that the Rockies desperately need, especially given Trevor Story’s decision to sign with the Red Sox. But there’s more to it than that. When a team signs a player to a seven-year, $182 million contract, they’re looking for more than his on-field skills.

In addition to becoming the face of the Rockies, Bryant is a message to fans: It’s a new day, and the Rockies are trying to win
That there, when are the mariners going to do that? I think it might begin with convincing a quality offensive FA of it. Yeah, they might even have to over spend. Like the rangers going into the off season talking about a desire to spend and realizing they weren't in a position to ask for discounts. Looked at what they accomplished. Dipoto should be embarrassed
You think JD could have offered Semien and Seager a half Billions???? :shock: Its ownership. As you said a few months ago, why wouldn't JD spend every penny he had available to him???
We are talking "things being equal" intangibles. Assuming there is something more to it than just dollars, and I believe there is at times. When it comes to hammering out an agreement a team with a track record of displaying a desire to win could trump the mariners.

If Bryant was given the opportunity to be the face of the Rockies or the face of the mariners, he very well could have still picked the Rockies. The mariners failed attempt at doing it with cano could actually be an issue.

I don't think players worry much about poop in the streets or travel miles as much as playing for an organization that has a track record of really trying to win. I think that's the area the mariners could come up short .

Sure intangibles can be trumped with money but so far the mariners haven't shown the willingness to do that, unlike the rangers.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:59 pm

I know but you blamed JD for not offering $500M in deals to two players. He probably needs some buyoff before making that call and Stanton probably would have fired JD on the spot for even asking.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:14 pm

No, I'm not blaming anybody. I'm just trying to read the situation. Remember before, the white Sox blew things up when the mariners were trying to make the playoffs and I predicted the Sox would actually beat the mariners to the playoffs and they did. How about we look at the rangers now. The mariners have a huge lead but lets see. When it comes to intangibles, the greatest in my mind is the lack of a desire to win. I believe both the Sox and the rangers have shown a much higher degree of it than the mariners.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:29 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:14 pm
No, I'm not blaming anybody. I'm just trying to read the situation. Remember before, the white Sox blew things up when the mariners were trying to make the playoffs and I predicted the Sox would actually beat the mariners to the playoffs and they did. How about we look at the rangers now. The mariners have a huge lead but lets see. When it comes to intangibles, the greatest in my mind is the lack of a desire to win. I believe both the Sox and the rangers have shown a much higher degree of it than the mariners.
You said JD should be embarrassed. He actually did pretty well with one hand tied behind his back.

It not that they don't have a desire to win they just want to pay for it. I would like to drive a Aston Martin but I'm not willing to pay for it at the moment. Doesn't mean I don't want it but at least I don't tell everyone I am doing every thing I can to buy it and then offer the dealership $30k for a brand new one.
dt

desbcoach

Post by desbcoach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:42 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:26 pm
Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:13 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:07 am
Good thread here:
This team doesn’t have IT......Which is hard to express

Doesn’t have the Paul Allen win it and enjoy the accolades

Doesn’t have the empathy to even be decent to players and family

And add in being cheap basterds and we are screwed....maybe Jerry does get a cut of profit sharing
Fantastic point! I absolutely think he is incentivized based on that. As I've said, he was extended AND promoted and I don't think it was because of our 3 WS titles.
This is the obvious business part in prepping for his last arbitration figure. Sure it is fighting over 1.4 million this year but that is next years as well plus a raise. Why many companies are giving bonuses this year in lieu of a big pay raise due to inflation. The raise would be there for rest of time where as bonus goes away next year and doesn’t affect budget

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:47 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
You said JD should be embarrassed. He actually did pretty well with one hand tied behind his back.

It not that they don't have a desire to win they just want to pay for it. I would like to drive a Aston Martin but I'm not willing to pay for it at the moment. Doesn't mean I don't want it but at least I don't tell everyone I am doing every thing I can to buy it and then offer the dealership $30k for a brand new one.
He should be embarrassed because of all his chatter before FA began. I don't care if the owners cut him off at the knees, be was out there flapping his gums. The rangers laid it out realistically and then delivered. It's all about paying for it. The mariners keep insisting they can pay for it but still are happy to drive a Volkswagen.

Again, that to me is what separates the mariners from the teams they are comparable to, the angels or rangers for instance. It's not quality of school systems or flying miles, it's an actual desire to win

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:47 pm
D-train wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:29 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

He should be embarrassed because of all his chatter before FA began. I don't care if the owners cut him off at the knees, be was out there flapping his gums. The rangers laid it out realistically and then delivered. It's all about paying for it. The mariners keep insisting they can pay for it but still are happy to drive a Volkswagen.

Again, that to me is what separates the mariners from the teams they are comparable to, the angels or rangers for instance. It's not quality of school systems or flying miles, it's an actual desire to win
Sure I'll give you that. Sham Wow Jersey Jerry must think the entire M's fanbase has dementia.

So Churchill who three weeks ago was tweeting about 57 times a day how cheap and horrible the owners are must now be on the M's payroll. lol
dt