Jerry

Millikin

Re: Jerry

Post by Millikin » Thu May 02, 2024 3:46 am

There's no way we should get rid of Gilbert/Kirby/Miller. Especially since we'd probably get another Garver or Polanco.

Maybe we can trick someone into buying high on Woo or Hancock. I don't get the impression that those two will end up better than average 4th/5th starters.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2024 10:06 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 am
Big_Maple wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:22 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:52 am

AHonestly, that could be this year. There are 4 guys that could do it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if 2-3 in the top 6-8 guys
Agreed.

So let’s just say - and I am not advocating for screwing up our rotation - but let’s just say we dangle a Logan Gilbert out there. Say he finishes third or fourth. He could net us one good offensive piece and help restock the farm.
He’s the guy I think they should most consider trading. They will have Castillo off the books by the time Kirby comes due, and they can start drafting a few guys next year to hopefully take place of the Miller/Woo/Hancock/Kirby group that may fizzle out, get injured or not get resigned.
The current rotation is an absolute Miracle once in a lifetime occurrence. Breaking it up because we can just draft guys to replace them would be completely insane. Just ask Michael Morales. In the decade prior to Gilberts rookie season there have been a grand total of TWO starters that panned out, Walker and the Glassman Pax who was injured most of the time..
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2024 10:07 am

Millikin wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:46 am
There's no way we should get rid of Gilbert/Kirby/Miller. Especially since we'd probably get another Garver or Polanco.

Maybe we can trick someone into buying high on Woo or Hancock. I don't get the impression that those two will end up better than average 4th/5th starters.
Exactly.
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 10:06 am
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:37 am
Big_Maple wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:22 am

Agreed.

So let’s just say - and I am not advocating for screwing up our rotation - but let’s just say we dangle a Logan Gilbert out there. Say he finishes third or fourth. He could net us one good offensive piece and help restock the farm.
He’s the guy I think they should most consider trading. They will have Castillo off the books by the time Kirby comes due, and they can start drafting a few guys next year to hopefully take place of the Miller/Woo/Hancock/Kirby group that may fizzle out, get injured or not get resigned.
The current rotation is an absolute Miracle once in a lifetime occurrence. Breaking it up because we can just draft guys to replace them would be completely insane. Just ask Michael Morales. In the decade prior to Gilberts rookie season there have been a grand total of TWO starters that panned out, Walker and the Glassman Pax who was injured most of the time..
You are breaking it up because they are going to break up soon anyway and you want to get value out of them. Something better than a competitive balance pick when they sign elsewhere as a free agent. Also because having the best pitching staff in baseball is fun, but it’s less fun when they are sitting at home watching the playoffs because you don’t have offense
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu May 02, 2024 2:22 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 pm
You are breaking it up because they are going to break up soon anyway and you want to get value out of them. Something better than a competitive balance pick when they sign elsewhere as a free agent. Also because having the best pitching staff in baseball is fun, but it’s less fun when they are sitting at home watching the playoffs because you don’t have offense
What Juliooooo said. Could not have said it better myself.

You do it for the same reason that the Reds and the Pirates should trade away young, talented position players - they have an embarrassment of riches, and you trade from an area of strength to bolster an area of weakness.

In 3 or 4 years, these kids will walk. So yeah - I am not saying trade them away right now, or even at the end of this season. But we should consider trading one stud arm while they have maximum trade value. Jerry apparently does not like to go aggressively after FA position players leaving us to either dumpster dive (look what 3 years of doing that has got us), or to trade. And now that we've drained the farm getting Luis Castillo, what chips are we left with?

BTW - does anyone know a website to use for trade simulations? https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/ used to be my go to, but now they changed it so you have to pay for a subscription to use it. Bastards.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 02, 2024 2:54 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:22 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:10 pm
What Juliooooo said. Could not have said it better myself.

You do it for the same reason that the Reds and the Pirates should trade away young, talented position players - they have an embarrassment of riches, and you trade from an area of strength to bolster an area of weakness.

In 3 or 4 years, these kids will walk. So yeah - I am not saying trade them away right now, or even at the end of this season. But we should consider trading one stud arm while they have maximum trade value. Jerry apparently does not like to go aggressively after FA position players leaving us to either dumpster dive (look what 3 years of doing that has got us), or to trade. And now that we've drained the farm getting Luis Castillo, what chips are we left with?

BTW - does anyone know a website to use for trade simulations? https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/ used to be my go to, but now they changed it so you have to pay for a subscription to use it. Bastards.
I will probably pay the $25 a year but they should expect their traffic and thus ad revenue decline by about 90%. And no, they are the only game in town as far as I know.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu May 02, 2024 3:15 pm

Here is an idea. How about instead of breaking them up you spend some dang money so you can win a world series before they walk. Otherwise you will just be the Oakland A's. Constantly rebuilding and never really being good enough to win it all.

Big_Maple

Post by Big_Maple » Thu May 02, 2024 3:45 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:15 pm
Here is an idea. How about instead of breaking them up you spend some dang money so you can win a world series before they walk. Otherwise you will just be the Oakland A's. Constantly rebuilding and never really being good enough to win it all.
Hahahahahahaha.

Bro. I am ALL for spending lavishly in free agency. I wish we weren't Thrift Shop spenders. Can you imagine how insanely good we would be right now if we had landed Marcus Semien and Corey Seager instead of the Rangers? For example.

But we are what we are. As long as Jerry is Stanton's lapdog, we are stuck watching other teams land the big fish in free agency.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Thu May 02, 2024 3:54 pm

Big_Maple wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 3:45 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Hahahahahahaha.

Bro. I am ALL for spending lavishly in free agency. I wish we weren't Thrift Shop spenders. Can you imagine how insanely good we would be right now if we had landed Marcus Semien and Corey Seager instead of the Rangers? For example.

But we are what we are. As long as Jerry is Stanton's lapdog, we are stuck watching other teams land the big fish in free agency.
That's the thing. They don't need to spend lavishly. If they were just willing to get back up to where they were a few years ago at around the 10th or ranked payroll, they would be able to add two top line hitters easily. If they had signed Seager and Semian to the same contracts the Rangers did, they would have the 11th ranked payroll right now.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
We will always be just the Oakland A's that happen to make money while we are at it. I think you hit the nail on the head, the problem is? The ownership group doesn't care. The team will be relatively competitive, the ownership group will continue to make money, and we the fans will continue to wonder what had happened if they actually spent more money, made moves at the deadline to improve, blah blah blah.