Wow Servais with an Epic quote. Something is up.

D-train

Re: Wow Servais with an Epic quote. Something is up.

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:54 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:02 am
I actually have a better outlook on the team now, even knowing they don't have as much cash to spend.

Kelenic had become a succubus. A cancer.

The team played amazing when he was injured and tanked again as soon as he got back.

People claimed he wasn't a problem, but, he's gone. Tells ya something, imo.

They made the tough choice to move on from him after they had built him up so much the past three years.

Dipoto doesn't do anything good with the money he spends anyways, I think the team will be significantly better next year, even if payroll is down from 2023.

Just need a couple good moves now.
Me too with two exceptions. Urias (why did we spend almost $5M on him if we were short of funds???) and Seby. Seby is basically O'Keefe with better D.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:01 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:54 pm
bpj wrote:
I actually have a better outlook on the team now, even knowing they don't have as much cash to spend.

The team played amazing when he was injured and tanked again as soon as he got back.

They made the tough choice to move on from him after they had built him up so much the past three years.

Dipoto doesn't do anything good with the money he spends anyways, I think the team will be significantly better next year, even if payroll is down from 2023.

Me too with two exceptions. Urias (why did we spend almost $5M on him if we were short of funds???) and Seby. Seby is basically O'Keefe with better D.
Agreed, makes no sense.

Seems like they pre-emptively settled on Seby when every other potential option was still available.

Although, hopefully the idea is to have Cal catch almost every day. Seby may just be someone's personal catcher or the day game after a night game guy.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:10 pm

bpj wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:01 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:54 pm
bpj wrote:

Agreed, makes no sense.

Seems like they pre-emptively settled on Seby when every other potential option was still available.

Although, hopefully the idea is to have Cal catch almost every day. Seby may just be someone's personal catcher or the day game after a night game guy.
Right? They could have just gone with Blake Hunt. Did they insist that Seby was including to try to make it not look like the pure salary dump that it is. Jerry really thinks fans are idiots.

Been meaning to say I work with A LOT of VERY smart people. People with Masters and PHds making between $300-$700k a year. If I started talking like Jerry on video call meetings people would rolling their eyes and would have to contain themselves from breaking out laughing but that joker actually thinks he sounds smart. It is absurd.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:14 pm

Fangraphs seems to think Urias could be a deal

it’s somewhat surprising to see Boston give up on Urías so quickly. After his poor performance in 2023, he isn’t going to earn a sizable raise in arbitration; the projections at MLB Trade Rumors suggests he’ll earn the exact same $4.7 million salary in 2024. Even if he never reaches his full potential, a versatile infielder who can provide league-average production with the bat is a valuable player to have on the roster. Consider Whit Merrifield and Amed Rosario, whom our contract crowdsourcing estimates have earning two-year deals worth $16 million and $18 million, respectively
Terms os Seby it is the defense, it might drive you nuts but that tends to be the kind of player that gets used there

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:24 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:14 pm
Fangraphs seems to think Urias could be a deal

it’s somewhat surprising to see Boston give up on Urías so quickly. After his poor performance in 2023, he isn’t going to earn a sizable raise in arbitration; the projections at MLB Trade Rumors suggests he’ll earn the exact same $4.7 million salary in 2024. Even if he never reaches his full potential, a versatile infielder who can provide league-average production with the bat is a valuable player to have on the roster. Consider Whit Merrifield and Amed Rosario, whom our contract crowdsourcing estimates have earning two-year deals worth $16 million and $18 million, respectively
Terms os Seby it is the defense, it might drive you nuts but that tends to be the kind of player that gets used there
Don't care if he is Johnny Bench you can't have a guy with a sub 600 OPS in your lineup twice a week.

This gives me a little hope. Urias finished the season pretty well.
Urias.JPG
Urias.JPG (31.56 KiB) Viewed 214 times
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:37 pm

There's definitely some upside with Urias. He did as well as Geno with the bat in the sample Dtrain just showed.

For 40% the cost of Suarez, it's not the worst move by any means.

The upside with Seby could be pairing him with a guy like Woo as his "personal catcher". Woo has a higher K/9 than Logan Gilbert, but his walk rate is almost double what Gilbert and Miller's are. Give him stability behind the plate and maybe he takes that next step.

I'd still prefer the bat, but I could see some reasoning like that on the backup catcher. Plus, Murphy might be the best DH bat available if he stayed healthy. If we could get a healthy Murphy to DH, I'd spend my cash in COF or upgrading SP to trade from depth to add another bat.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231207_053226_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20231207_053226_DuckDuckGo.jpg (307.44 KiB) Viewed 207 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:46 pm

I will never understand how Sewald is able to K so many guys. Corey Seager probably wonders the same. :lol:
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm

Urias began the year as Milwaukee's starting 3rd baseman, had a nightmare of a season. But he did end it with a 98 OPS+ with Boston. Hopefully he will be serviceable

Seby, looking over the White Sox bloggers put up some pretty nice defensive numbers. Some of them liked him, others hated him. But you know Dipoto and SS are gonna get a hardon for that kind of thing. Dipoto said it the other day, the mariners are a team built on tossing and catching the ball.

The issue I think is getting in a situation where he's needed more than anticipated, that is a cal injury. I believe that's what happened in Chicago?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:43 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm
Urias began the year as Milwaukee's starting 3rd baseman, had a nightmare of a season. But he did end it with a 98 OPS+ with Boston. Hopefully he will be serviceable

Seby, looking over the White Sox bloggers put up some pretty nice defensive numbers. Some of them liked him, others hated him. But you know Dipoto and SS are gonna get a hardon for that kind of thing. Dipoto said it the other day, the mariners are a team built on tossing and catching the ball.

The issue I think is getting in a situation where he's needed more than anticipated, that is a cal injury. I believe that's what happened in Chicago?
Our catchers had 663 PAs last season and Cal, even with a very heavy workload for a catcher only had 494 so that is 169 for other catchers. Not a huge amount but if he posts the .511 OPS like he did in Chicago we are screwed. Hilarious thing is he had a 36% K rate which was the worst in ALL of MLB for guys with 150+ PAs. I guess they forget they were trying to cut down on K's. LOL Joke show.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:10 pm

bpj wrote:

I would 100% agree....if not for the history of this team. I hope they prove me wrong, but I see us dumping salary here, and I think the rumor of us not resigning Gilbert and the Dumper down the road are true. We will be mediocre for a year or two, and then be sellers and hearing about how THIS REBUILD will be different.