Mariners acquire Jorge Polanco from the Twins!!!!!

bpj

Re: Mariners acquire Jorge Polanco from the Twins!!!!!

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:10 am

desbcoach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:37 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:31 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:07 am

SS-Crawford
CF-JRod
2B-Polanco
C-Raleigh
DH-Garver
LF-Raley
1B-France
3B-Rojas
RF-Haniger

Looks pretty complete
We can hope.

To me it looks like a lineup without any actual middle of the order hitters.

It's a lineup full of guys that should be batting 6th and nobody deserving of hitting 3rd or 4th.

Hopefully their depth can carry them but they just look like another team that'll almost make the playoffs, but won't, imo.
Pessimistic attitude, the line up is as good as we end end the season with and better then day 1 we started and wasted 3 months with. IMO good enough to get to -layoffs. Addition by subtraction with Pollock, Lastella, and Wong gone.
Raley, Urias and Rojas aren't any more of a sure thing than those bums were.

Do you think Vegas is "pessimistic" or "realistic"? They have us just missing the playoffs also.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240129_210806_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:16 am

And neither is haniger or hoping for improvement from France

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:16 am
Yep, good point.

2023 - 2024
Caballero - Urias
Suarez- Polanco
Hernandez - Haniger
Wong - Rojas
Kelenic - Raley
Murphy - Zavala
Hummell- Hunt
Ford - Garver
Pollock - Canzone
La Stella - Trammell

Looks like some slight upgrades, and some slight downgrades. Obviously not all apples to apples comparisons in the matchups, but doesn't look that much better than last seasons roster overall imo.

The only difference is we haven't been disappointed by this year's crop yet.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 am

From Drayer, thinks they will platoon 3rd, has Polanco hitting 3rd
The addition of the switch-hitting Polanco at second base will eliminate a planned platoon at that position, likely moving it to third base where the platoon can be better utilized with Luis Urías and Josh Rojas.

“The switch-hit is huge for us the way our team is constructed,” said Hollander. “To have a guy who’s platoon neutral who can hit in the middle of our lineup from either side is a big advantage for Scott (Servais) as he stacks the lineup up to be able to go left, right, switch.”

Polanco, who hit primarily in the top three spots of the order for the Twins in recent years, could slide into the No. 3 spot for the Mariners, solidifying the top of the order before mixing and matching through the middle. The addition gives length to the lineup, and it builds a stronger bench. One of Mitch Haniger, Dominic Canzone or Luke Raley will be available off the bench each niDylan Moore, catcher Seby Zavala, and Rojas or Urías.
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1772144/ ... anco-fits/

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am

bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Yep, good point.

2023 - 2024
Caballero - Urias
Suarez- Polanco
Hernandez - Haniger
Wong - Rojas
Kelenic - Raley
Murphy - Zavala
Hummell- Hunt
Ford - Garver
Pollock - Canzone
La Stella - Trammell

Looks like some slight upgrades, and some slight downgrades. Obviously not all apples to apples comparisons in the matchups, but doesn't look that much better than last seasons roster overall imo.

Yeah, shooting for his 88 wins. He could keep this up for a number of years, particularly if he doesn't trade Woo or Moore. I argued the 54% didn't equate to 88 wins a season but seems Dipoto could feel that way.

On the other hand, get some luck with career type seasons and you could get in the 95 win range. That's the basis of the strategy.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:38 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Yep, good point.

2023 - 2024
Caballero - Urias
Suarez- Polanco
Hernandez - Haniger
Wong - Rojas
Kelenic - Raley
Murphy - Zavala
Hummell- Hunt
Ford - Garver
Pollock - Canzone
La Stella - Trammell

Yeah, shooting for his 88 wins. He could keep this up for a number of years, particularly if he doesn't trade Woo or Moore. I argued the 54% didn't equate to 88 wins a season but seems Dipoto could feel that way.

On the other hand, get some luck with career type seasons and you could get in the 95 win range. That's the basis of the strategy.
Why not just enter the season with a 95 win team instead of having to count on luck and overachieving.

They could add two elite players and be around their 2018 payroll.

Instead they're crossing their fingers hoping average players overachieve. In T-Mobile.

Pretty stupid imo.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:43 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:18 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:13 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:06 am

What was his WAR hitting for a 70 wRC+ at 3B for the DBacks last year?

I just don't like wet noodles taking up power spots.

The trade hasn't stopped them from potentially trading one of Miller or Woo...
They're viewing last season as an outlier due to the injuries. He hit 39 home runs the previous two seasons
Not talking about Urias. Talking about Rojas.

I don't have a lot of faith in Urias... cool if they do. But I'd prefer if they got a legit bat at the position.

It's just one of those positions that you really want a lot of offense from. Avg wRC+ for 3B's who played at least 100 games last year was 110... there were 2x massive outliers or it woulda been like 120...
What they should do is trade Urias for the best reliever that any team will give up for him and sign Chapman but of course they won't do that so I don't even bother to bring it up.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 am

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:16 am
Seattle or Bust wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:06 am

What was his WAR hitting for a 70 wRC+ at 3B for the DBacks last year?

I just don't like wet noodles taking up power spots.

The trade hasn't stopped them from potentially trading one of Miller or Woo...
They aren't trading Woo or Miller.
Dipoto, the Mariners’ president of baseball operations, made the possibility of a young starter being traded this offseason seem even less likely when he talked to reporters on Jan. 5, shortly after the team made a multi-player trade with the San Francisco Giants.

“The fact that we were able to go out and put together deals, be it free agency or trade, that we feel like we built a complete team without tapping into those young members of our rotation, I want to say it’s a bit of an offseason achievement for us. I didn’t know if it was going to be possible,” Dipoto said. “We never liked the way it looked. We are a team that we have developed a lot of those players we’re emotionally tied to and invested in.

“The more we’ve wrapped our arms around the idea of just leaning into what we do best, which is we pitch, and this is still a fairly young team that can do a lot of interesting things. It will always be central to that pitching staff, which, obviously, there hadn’t been a lot of change to the 13 (pitchers on the staff). We’re really glad that that same group is here and really anticipate that that will be what it looks like when the season begins.”
Seems silly if you ask me.

Could get a real bat to put this offense over the top w. one of em... rare time we're operating at the top of the market to pry legit offense away.

I'd trade Miller or Woo for a Gorman or Hayes type tomorrow.
So would I but then Hancock is your 5th starter and Darren McCaughan is your 1st man up because they won't sign Snell.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:47 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:00 am
Hate losing G2, I think he’s going to be a good one. I also worry about a 30 year old 2B in Tmobile park. 14 HR in 80 games is nice, and he’s better than the last 2 they got. He’s an upgrade from Rojas, but I would have preferred they get a better 3B.

I don’t hate it as much as the Castillo trade though, and don’t think G2 has quite the same star potential as Marte (because of position and speed mostly, he would be so much more exciting for next year than Urias at 3B). Hope it works out.

Going to have to pick a new favorite prospect. It will likely be between Colt Emerson and Arroyo. I’ll decide after the first month or so of minor leagues
Just watch Emerson's swing a few times and there will be Hearts coming out of your eyeballs. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:51 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:07 am
bpj wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:28 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:26 am
Tough to lose Topa and GG but I like the trade.

Capture.JPG
That ~.800 OPS looks a lot better than the .700 guys we have laying around.

I remember big sexy wanted Polanco a year or two ago.

Dipoto's always just a little late to the party.
SS-Crawford
CF-JRod
2B-Polanco
C-Raleigh
DH-Garver
LF-Raley
1B-France
3B-Rojas
RF-Haniger

Looks pretty complete
If they don't move Julio down to 3rd they are idiots but I already know they are so they probably won't.
dt