Virus Schmirus

gil

Re: Virus Schmirus

Post by gil » Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 pm
Negative captain. Maybe I'm projecting what I see from the media scoundels s ontoo most teachers. But I do have that one example that I posted. I'm sure there's more out there like that person.
I saw your example, and I thought it was really bad judgment to have an assignment like that, and worse having a "correct answer" like that. I don't disagree that there are more examples. I've personally run into a similar behavior from different teachers, and from different "biases" (pushing a leftist agenda, pushing a right-wing agenda, and pushing a pro-Israel agenda). I just question how pervasive it is. At least there are two of us, who if we were teachers, would be fair, yes? :)

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 13, 2020 7:57 pm

gil wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm
D-train wrote:
Negative captain. Maybe I'm projecting what I see from the media scoundels s ontoo most teachers. But I do have that one example that I posted. I'm sure there's more out there like that person.
I saw your example, and I thought it was really bad judgment. I don't disagree that there are more. I've personally run into a similar behavior from different teachers, and from different "biases" - pushing a leftist agenda, pushing a right-wing agenda, and pushing a pro-Israel agenda). I just question how pervasive it is. At least there are two of us, who if we were teachers, would be fair, yes? :)
Interestingly none of this went on when I was in high school. OTOH I have always read and heard about teachers having a huge impact on students lives and that they will never forget them! This literally never happened to me. I skated through High School getting stoned, never bringing homework home and ended up with a GPA just over 3.0. My first class at UW, Econ 101 with 600+ students I got a 4.0 in the class.

If I was a teacher I would preach to students think for yourself, don't rely on anyone especially the government, try your best and anything is possible. I would probably be considered a right wing nut in today's school system for this. lol
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 pm

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

dt

gil

Post by gil » Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:57 pm
gil wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:44 pm
D-train wrote:
I saw your example, and I thought it was really bad judgment. I don't disagree that there are more. I've personally run into a similar behavior from different teachers, and from different "biases" - pushing a leftist agenda, pushing a right-wing agenda, and pushing a pro-Israel agenda). I just question how pervasive it is. At least there are two of us, who if we were teachers, would be fair, yes? :)
Interestingly none of this went on when I was in high school. OTOH I have always read and heard about teachers having a huge impact on students lives and that they will never forget them! This literally never happened to me. I skated through High School getting stoned, never bringing homework home and ended up with a GPA just over 3.0. My first class at UW, Econ 101 with 600+ students I got a 4.0 in the class.

If I was a teacher I would preach to students think for yourself, don't rely on anyone especially the government, try your best and anything is possible. I would probably be considered a right wing nut in today's school system for this. lol
That all sounds pretty reasonable to me, although I suspect if we discussed "don't rely on anyone especially the government" a bit more, I bet we'd get into contentious territory. Are you old enough to remember when "don't trust the government, they are against 'us'" was a left-wing mantra? I sure am! How times change.

If I were a teacher I'd probably be too busy teaching the subject matter (e.g., 19th Century American history or English composition) to have much time for preaching my personal values. But to your list I'd add: learning optimism, resilience, and empathy. Become a good writer and public speaker. Learn how to work with others. If I taught something contentious (such as US History post Civil War), I'd emphasize "critical thinking," i.e., the ability to express different points of view in a constructive and accurate fashion. If there are two diametrically opposed sides, for example, the student should be able to express each side's argument well enough that a partisan (for either, on any, side) would say "yes, you have captured my point of view; you understand what I am thinking and what I care about." And I would emphasize how to evaluate what are good sources of information for getting facts.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Fri May 15, 2020 6:15 pm

gil wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me, although I suspect if we discussed "don't rely on anyone especially the government" a bit more, I bet we'd get into contentious territory. Are you old enough to remember when "don't trust the government, they are against 'us'" was a left-wing mantra? I sure am! How times change.

Wasn't there something about not trusting anyone over 30, as well?

Gil, why weren't you a teacher???
DMM

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Fri May 15, 2020 6:21 pm

A possible Breakthrough

Hope this is Legit

http://meaninginhistory.blogspot.com/20 ... rough.html

A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.
Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.
"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Fri May 15, 2020 8:22 pm

That would be a miracle! If totally true we're looking at a total re-opening of society and the world economy. This will have been just a (big) blip on the screen of history. Holding my breath.
DMM

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Coeurd’Alene J wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 6:21 pm
A possible Breakthrough

Hope this is Legit

http://meaninginhistory.blogspot.com/20 ... rough.html

A California-based biopharmaceutical company claims to have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the coronavirus and flush it out of a person’s system within four days, Fox News has exclusively learned.
Later Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics will announce their discovery of the STI-1499 antibody, which the San Diego company said can provide "100% inhibition" of COVID-19, adding that a treatment could be available months before a vaccine hits the market.
"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics, told Fox News. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."
Investors think it legit. Stock went from about $2.50 to over $7 today.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SRNE?p= ... c=fin-srch
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon May 18, 2020 8:04 pm

For those of you that are celebrating "Memorial Week," consider wearing a red bandana today.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/11505494

Imagine what would happen if Trump supporters began wearing red bandanas instead of red MAGA hats? Would make for some interesting confrontations between Antifa types and just normal people who happened to have a red bandana at home.