GT 6/16 Angels @ Mariners....I have no words.

D-train

Re: GT 6/16 Angels @ Mariners....I have no words.

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:58 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:53 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:31 pm
bpj wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:46 am
Dylan Moores OPS was the fifth best in today's lineup. He puts runs on the board more than our other slop does.
Isn't that like being the 5th tallest midget at this point?
That's what I was thinking... fifth highest in a lineup of nine players of a poor hitting team isn't a significant data point
It is relevant when you consider that Toro, who is the worst hitter on the team, has almost 100 more PAs than Moore.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:14 pm

As is generally the case, I'd have to hear SS's reasoning, all I know is he doesn't seem to be relying on ops in relation to Moore's being fifth best in the lineup

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:16 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:14 pm
As is generally the case, I'd have to hear SS's reasoning, all I know is he doesn't seem to be relying on ops in relation to Moore's being fifth best in the lineup
When anyone asks about Toro in the lineup all of the media jump in and say it isn't SSs decision to keep running him out there.
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:53 pm

Having to have either of those two minor leaguers in the starting lineup is statement in itself in regard to our ineptitude in roster make up and management.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:16 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:16 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
When anyone asks about Toro in the lineup all of the media jump in and say it isn't SSs decision to keep running him out there.
Again, if you have a problem with Servais, realize many of the things people are blaming him for are not so his decisions. Firing him isn't going to change a lot.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:06 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:16 pm
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
Again, if you have a problem with Servais, realize many of the things people are blaming him for are not so his decisions. Firing him isn't going to change a lot.
Yep, you have to cut off the Head to kill the beast and the Head is JD. SS is more like the tail and the tail never wags the dog in this case.
dt

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:02 pm

The real problem is ownership. They're not interested in winning enough to actually do things to make winning happen.

They dabble in the concept of winning because they have a theoretical interest in winning, because the golden pinnacle of profitable team-ownership is a dynasty. To become a juggernaut like Cowboys/Yankees/Patriots/Warriors with worldwide fans buying merchandise and selling out the house until the end of time.

But... Building something like that is expensive, difficult, and it's still a long-shot. There are a million things to go wrong and there are 29 other teams in the way.

"There's always next year," is profitable enough, without the risk and expense of really building something. Just gotta be good enough, or have enough on the horizon, to keep the embers of hope glowing. And every now and then the Mariners have a pretty-good season and it seems like real success is finally just around the next corner.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm

Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:
Donn Beach wrote:
I remember in Moneyball they showed Billy Beane ordering Art Howe to play Carlos Pena and thinking, "No way do GMs do that". With all the playing time Toro inexplicably gets there's no way it can't be anything but DiPoto's ego-driven decision.

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:36 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:08 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
D-train wrote:

I remember in Moneyball they showed Billy Beane ordering Art Howe to play Carlos Pena and thinking, "No way do GMs do that". With all the playing time Toro inexplicably gets there's no way it can't be anything but DiPoto's ego-driven decision.
Actually, he was trying to get Howe to play Scott Hatteberg, but Howe insisted on playing Pena. So Beane traded Pena to force Howe to play Hatteberg.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:16 am

GL_Storm wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:36 am
Actually, he was trying to get Howe to play Scott Hatteberg, but Howe insisted on playing Pena. So Beane traded Pena to force Howe to play Hatteberg.
Oh, that's right, duh huh. THAT was a "my way or the highway" move right there, if it actually happened that way in real life.