GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

D-train

Re: GT 9/25:Houston we have a problem

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:26 pm

Hey look at the bright side! The Sons of Sewald, Cookie and Pizza, were 3-6! Great trade Jerry!!! :lol:

Checks notes: The rest of Jerry's lineup was 0-22. :lol:
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:15 pm

Can someone explain to me how a player can get 17 hits in four games, breaking a century old record, and then look utterly lost at the plate for long stretches of games? It seems to indicate a lack of discipline at the very least.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:02 pm

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:37 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:33 am
Ms Best players don't have a killer instinct and falter in big situations. Castillo cruises through the year but whenever the game matters and they need him the most he crumbles. How many times has Julio come up with the bases loaded in the past week with zip to show for it. It has to have been 3 or 4. The team just ain't made for prime time.
What does having a killer instinct entail. Does Atlanta & Tampa & Baltimore have a killer instinct. Who's their best hitters. The key is don't get cheated at the plate. They should know Verlander better than anybody by know. You got to remember Julio is still a Pup. Can't expect him to put it all on his shoulders, it's a team effort. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we led the league in strikeouts. But yes too many times our guys come to the plate with RISP & come up empty. Change in culture has got to be in order. Need a healthy blend of youth & savvy vets. My 1 wish is for Jerry to show SS the door & don't let it hit you in the you know what on the way out. I can guarantee you TB & Atlanta & Baltimore's Managers don't coach their teams like that.
It entails being able to perform under pressure. It entails being able to focus on the task at hand and not have the moment be too big for you.

bpj

Post by bpj » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:23 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:15 pm
Can someone explain to me how a player can get 17 hits in four games, breaking a century old record, and then look utterly lost at the plate for long stretches of games? It seems to indicate a lack of discipline at the very least.
Personally I think it's normal for nearly any player, and the Mariners problem is they jack half their players around with inconsistent playing time.

They all need to go through the lows to get back to the highs. The season is long, it's why we average out their numbers for the whole year.

When Marlowe and Ford had a bad two weeks or month, it was off with their heads.

When Jarred Kelenic had a .600 OPS in 250 plate appearances after April, that was just growing pains....

(Kelenics problem obviously is the highs have only showed up for about 15 days across 4 years).

They're not kidding when they say, "Process over results".

The Mariners value what the statistics "should have been", they ignore the actual on field production because, golly gee, Kelenic hit the ball hard.

Ignore that maybe it's his swing path aiming balls directly at defenders. He hit the ball hard, so those are eventually bound to fall! WRONG.

We watched Kenji Johjima make exactly the same three outs for like two years in a row. Weak ground out to middle infield, pop out to second base, or strikeout. Sometimes it's the player that's broken.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:30 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:33 am
Ms Best players don't have a killer instinct and falter in big situations. Castillo cruises through the year but whenever the game matters and they need him the most he crumbles. How many times has Julio come up with the bases loaded in the past week with zip to show for it. It has to have been 3 or 4. The team just ain't made for prime time.
De ja vue or however you spell that.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:13 am

Article on consistency and ML hitting. The best ML hitters are not nesssarily the most consistent. It's more about having periods where they really rip it. It's interesting to me how fans seem to look for consistency where there really isn't.
This isn’t because a lack of consistency leads to good results, of course. But perhaps it challenges traditionally held notions of how All-Stars come to be. We might picture our favorite hitters exuding greatness through a steady stream of hits. In reality, it seems, the very best players are explained by their ability to string together incredible streaks of slugging that appear like blips on a patient’s heart monitor. They’re deviations from the norm, and at the same time, that norm is up there to begin with. Looking at the data, it occurred to me that the highest weekly wRC+ marks often belonged to top-tier hitters. Why is Mookie Betts awesome? Because he’s capable of putting up a 294 wRC+ across an entire week, that’s why
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/measuring-t ... t-hitters/

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:42 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:13 am
Article on consistency and ML hitting. The best ML hitters are not nesssarily the most consistent. It's more about having periods where they really rip it. It's interesting to me how fans seem to look for consistency where there really isn't.
This isn’t because a lack of consistency leads to good results, of course. But perhaps it challenges traditionally held notions of how All-Stars come to be. We might picture our favorite hitters exuding greatness through a steady stream of hits. In reality, it seems, the very best players are explained by their ability to string together incredible streaks of slugging that appear like blips on a patient’s heart monitor. They’re deviations from the norm, and at the same time, that norm is up there to begin with. Looking at the data, it occurred to me that the highest weekly wRC+ marks often belonged to top-tier hitters. Why is Mookie Betts awesome? Because he’s capable of putting up a 294 wRC+ across an entire week, that’s why
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/measuring-t ... t-hitters/
Not every hitter is gonna hit at the exact same time. No hitter is ever gonna go 3-3 or 4-4 on a consistent basis. Just not possible. Every hitter goes through spurts. Its just frustrating for someone like Julio who is supposed to be one of your best hitters then chokes in clutch moments. I mean are we really led to believe Rangers have better hitters then us. I mean shit how can you be so crappy one year then light the league on fire the next. Doesn't make sense.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:02 am

Yeah, rangers do have better hitters don't they?, is that in question?

HawkandMariner88

Post by HawkandMariner88 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:16 am

Corey Seager & who. What were they a year ago?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:24 am

HawkandMariner88 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:16 am
Corey Seager & who. What were they a year ago?
Ohhhhh...Marcus Semien? ...not as good