Seattle Mariners

Logainismyhero

Seattle Mariners

Post by Logainismyhero » Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Hey all

Long time lurker over that the times, but with all that spam I left it a while ago.

So, what is up with this team? Is it organizational? I'm all on board with their decision to go young, but I don't know if I trust the suits here. So far, I have no been impressed with them since the new ownership group took over. I'm giving Dipoto a couple more years as I feel for a GM to show his true colors, you have to give them 4-5 years. However, I'm not sold on Servais. I'm leaning toward him being an average manager. I know it's his first rodeo, but I haven't been impressed with his decision making.

So glad we aren't seeing thread after thread of spam!

D-train

Re: Seattle Mariners

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 1:55 pm

Welcome Logain! I have to head off to work now so don't have time to respond but will in an hour or so!
dt

95Lives!

Post by 95Lives! » Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:46 pm
Hey all

Long time lurker over that the times, but with all that spam I left it a while ago.

So, what is up with this team? Is it organizational? I'm all on board with their decision to go young, but I don't know if I trust the suits here. So far, I have no been impressed with them since the new ownership group took over. I'm giving Dipoto a couple more years as I feel for a GM to show his true colors, you have to give them 4-5 years. However, I'm not sold on Servais. I'm leaning toward him being an average manager. I know it's his first rodeo, but I haven't been impressed with his decision making.

Personally, I think it's lack of organizational fortitude and or decisiveness. I wholeheartedly supported the personnel change during the last off season, but I don't think they went far enough. Bruce and Encanarcion should not be involved with a re-build. Felix should not be starting and, since he apparently is resisting a shift to the bullpen, probably shouldn't be with the team. But these guys and others are still on the roster and pretty much in the lineup every day and that tells me that the M's aren't willing to do what they need to do to win: play and develop talent that is going to be here in three years and beyond. Why are they still on the roster? I suggest it's because Stanton, and the other members of the ownership group, don't want to lose the revenue that a nameless team would lose. This too doesn't really make a lot of sense to those really paying attention, because while they do lose some revenue when they're losing, it generally isn't a lot. People still come to the Mariners games because it's a really cool place to go watch baseball, even bad baseball.

We start today at 18-14 after starting the season 13-2. I believe we're going to be well under .500 by the middle of June and hopefully will unload Encanarcion and Bruce and the others that don't really fit the re-posturing of the team to teams that need their services for a stretch run.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm

Logainismyhero wrote:
Hey all

The new direction is positive but if JD sticks with SS I think it will ultimately be his downfall. None of the bad defenders are in the long term plans other than perhaps Santana who will be moved to DH once the old fellas are moved.

dt
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed May 01, 2019 5:49 pm

95Lives! wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:29 pm
Logainismyhero wrote:
Hey all

Personally, I think it's lack of organizational fortitude and or decisiveness. I wholeheartedly supported the personnel change during the last off season, but I don't think they went far enough. Bruce and Encanarcion should not be involved with a re-build. Felix should not be starting and, since he apparently is resisting a shift to the bullpen, probably shouldn't be with the team. But these guys and others are still on the roster and pretty much in the lineup every day and that tells me that the M's aren't willing to do what they need to do to win: play and develop talent that is going to be here in three years and beyond. Why are they still on the roster? I suggest it's because Stanton, and the other members of the ownership group, don't want to lose the revenue that a nameless team would lose. This too doesn't really make a lot of sense to those really paying attention, because while they do lose some revenue when they're losing, it generally isn't a lot. People still come to the Mariners games because it's a really cool place to go watch baseball, even bad baseball.

We start today at 18-14 after starting the season 13-2. I believe we're going to be well under .500 by the middle of June and hopefully will unload Encanarcion and Bruce and the others that don't really fit the re-posturing of the team to teams that need their services for a stretch run.
For all the early success this team enjoyed ...the few homers who had us projected for over a hundred wins...we finally run into real baseball and while I love this team. I too share your reality....we will be well under .500 within 30 to 40 days and no amount of homerism will change it

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 5:57 pm

If there were post predicting 100 wins this season I must have missed them.

dt
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed May 01, 2019 6:00 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:57 pm

dt
Homers projecting wins based on our unsustainable start.......I’m sure you saw it bud

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm

The Astroknott wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:00 pm
D-train wrote:

dt
Homers projecting wins based on our unsustainable start.......I’m sure you saw it bud
Big difference between projecting and predicting. The former is just a executing a math equation the latter is actually believing it. I did the former myself for entertainment. Never saw any posters say that they truly believed we would win over 100 games.

dt
dt

Coeurd’Alene J

Post by Coeurd’Alene J » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 pm

It was over the top......projecting clearly unsustainable wins made for some homerism

Maybe you didn’t see it that way...I did.

Don’t ban me when I disagree......I’ll sick Josie on you

BaseHitDerby

Post by BaseHitDerby » Wed May 01, 2019 7:04 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm
The Astroknott wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:00 pm
D-train wrote:

dt
Big difference between projecting and predicting. The former is just a executing a math equation the latter is actually believing it. I did the former myself for entertainment. Never saw any posters say that they truly believed we would win over 100 games.

dt
I was predicting 114 wins after that 13-2 start, but now I had to lower my expectations.