Sacrificing

XpertDBA

Sacrificing

Post by XpertDBA » Wed May 01, 2019 3:47 pm

I was sort of keeping my eye on the game last night, and noticed in the 9th that the M's got the first 2 runners on down by 1 run with Beckham at the plate.

How is it not a slam-dunk 100% guaranteed bunt situation????? I really just don't understand it....how do you not attempt to get 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and the tying run right there for the taking.

Is SS braindead? Seriously............

D-train

Re: Sacrificing

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Absolutely inconceivable that you don't bunt in that situation. Just read Divish's article and he didn't even bother to ask SS about it. Guessing if he had SS would have come back with some moronic nonsense like "you don't bunt with your cleanup hitter" :roll: :roll: :roll: Like Beckham is a cleanup hitter.

dt
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Wed May 01, 2019 3:58 pm

I thought maybe, just maybe, SS had matured and gotten a modicum more seasoned with his past experience.

It only shows he's just as dumb, moronic and complete void of managerial skills as he's always been. I hate SS.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 4:04 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:58 pm
I thought maybe, just maybe, SS had matured and gotten a modicum more seasoned with his past experience.

It only shows he's just as dumb, moronic and complete void of managerial skills as he's always been. I hate SS.
Initially I was indifferent and thought people were little over the top with their criticism but I am now fully on board the he has got to go train.

He is not even a leader of mice, let alone men. And I honestly think is not a smart man, Jenny.

dt
dt

XpertDBA

Post by XpertDBA » Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I completely understand that we're not a 13-2 kind of team, and most likely will be more like a 72 win team.....

But to throw away potential wins like that just makes me want to scream. M's fans have been brutalized like no other fan base.

There's a new short YouTube video that documents the history and angst of the Mariners baseball organization and their fans. It would be funny, if it wasn't so true. Why do we continue to put ourselves through this?

Ziskmagic

Post by Ziskmagic » Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm

XpertDBA wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm
I completely understand that we're not a 13-2 kind of team, and most likely will be more like a 72 win team.....

But to throw away potential wins like that just makes me want to scream. M's fans have been brutalized like no other fan base.

There's a new short YouTube video that documents the history and angst of the Mariners baseball organization and their fans. It would be funny, if it wasn't so true. Why do we continue to put ourselves through this?
I have often wondered if it's something horrible I did in a previous life that led me to being a passionate, lifelong fan of this sad sack organization.
As a body we are alone, as a soul never.

Hasslecracked

Post by Hasslecracked » Wed May 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Unfortunately as long as Dipoto is here, Cervix will be here. May have to can them both honestly or give Dipito an ultimatum

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 pm

Ziskmagic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:51 pm
XpertDBA wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm

I have often wondered if it's something horrible I did in a previous life that led me to being a passionate, lifelong fan of this sad sack organization.
When I was a kid and learned in Sunday school that a group of people followed Moses through the desert for 40 years, I was flabbergasted that they would have such blind faith that their loyalty would eventually rewarded. I am now envious that they only had to wait 40 years.

dt
dt

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Stats say that bunting in that situation is fewer runs.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/re24/

But they don't need as many runs as possible. They need 1 or 2 runs. There is a higher percentage to score 1 or 2 runs with 1 out and runners on second and third

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2013/8/ ... e-sac-bunt

Now, down to the game situation, with Jay Bruce coming up, chances are they walk him and you get bases loaded with Healy coming up. Worst case he Gidp, but if he Ks or pops out, you get Narvaez with bases loaded and 2 outs.

Bunt seems clearly the better option
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed May 01, 2019 5:42 pm

KingFelix wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm
Stats say that bunting in that situation is fewer runs.

https://library.fangraphs.com/misc/re24/

But they don't need as many runs as possible. They need 1 or 2 runs. There is a higher percentage to score 1 or 2 runs with 1 out and runners on second and third

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2013/8/ ... e-sac-bunt

Now, down to the game situation, with Jay Bruce coming up, chances are they walk him and you get bases loaded with Healy coming up. Worst case he Gidp, but if he Ks or pops out, you get Narvaez with bases loaded and 2 outs.

Bunt seems clearly the better option
The crazy thing is they got burned in a similar situation the prior inning by a DP and SS decided to double down in an obvious bunting situation and got burned again. WTF was he thinking??? btw was Beckham slow out of the box or what. When I saw the 2B field I didn't think there would even be a throw from second to first for the DP let alone it being a DP. God, that was a horrible AB all the way around for Beckham.

dt
dt