Unreal Salary arb numbers

D-train

Unreal Salary arb numbers

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Haniger vs. Mallex is utter insanity unless they give a $1.5M bonus for a full set of nuts.
The Mariners won’t be going to arbitration court to settle any salary disputes this offseason. The organization agreed to one-year contracts with the three players eligible for salary arbitration — outfielders Mitch Haniger and Mallex Smith and right-handed pitcher Sam Tuivailala — before Friday’s 10 a.m. deadline.

All three players were in their first year of arbitration eligibility, meaning they are able to make more than the MLB minimum salary of just over $500,000 based on their past performance.

Haniger, 29, received the biggest bump in pay, signing a one-year deal worth $3,010,000, despite missing 95 games in 2019 after suffering a ruptured testicle. Coming off an All-Star season in 2018, Haniger posted a .220/.314/.463 slash line with 13 doubles, a triple, 15 homers and 32 RBI in 63 games.

He suffered an injury after fouling a ball into his groin area. It required emergency surgery. Multiple comeback attempts never came to fruition and he ended the season on the injured list.

Smith, 26, will earn $2.35 million in 2020 and is expected to be the Mariners’ opening-day center fielder. He struggled at the plate and in the field early in the season and was demoted to Class AAA Tacoma. He returned and showed some improvement in both areas, finishing with a .227/.300/.335 slash line, 19 doubles, six triples, six homers, 37 RBI and a league-high 46 stolen bases.

Tuivailala, 27, agreed to a one-year deal worth $800,000. After dealing with a recovery from surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon and also some shoulder fatigue, he went 1-0 with a 2.35 ERA with 27 strikeouts and 11 walks in 23 appearances last season. He’s expected to be a key contributor in an inexperienced bullpen.
dt

bpj

Re: Unreal Salary arb numbers

Post by bpj » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm

Pretty embarrassing system. If Haniger hadnt missed half the games i would probably complain.

As it is we just have an incredibly well compensated pinch runner (imo). If that's the role they would use Mallex in, late inning pinch runner, i would be 100% in favor of having him on the team.

James Jones swiping 25 of 26 as a pinch runner late in games on a playoff contender would be like being equipped with an extra weapon.

Knowing any time you were in a tie game or down by a run, Mallex was on the bench to pinch run if anybody got on 1B would be very valuable, imo.

But, seeing Mallex make almost as much as Haniger is still so painful.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:04 pm

bpj wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:16 pm
Pretty embarrassing system. If Haniger hadnt missed half the games i would probably complain.

As it is we just have an incredibly well compensated pinch runner (imo). If that's the role they would use Mallex in, late inning pinch runner, i would be 100% in favor of having him on the team.

James Jones swiping 25 of 26 as a pinch runner late in games on a playoff contender would be like being equipped with an extra weapon.

Knowing any time you were in a tie game or down by a run, Mallex was on the bench to pinch run if anybody got on 1B would be very valuable, imo.

Maybe now that the roster is 26 vs. 25 but no way in hell can you afford to have a designated PR on the team that can barely do anything else with only 25 spots. Even with 26 it is questionable.
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm

bpj wrote:

That pinch runner stuff can be valuable in the post season where you're going against top pitching all the time. It's also nice in September when you have expanded rosters. I think more teams should be signing track stars with no regard for hitting or fielding capabilities.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm

DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
bpj wrote:

That pinch runner stuff can be valuable in the post season where you're going against top pitching all the time. It's also nice in September when you have expanded rosters. I think more teams should be signing track stars with no regard for hitting or fielding capabilities.
Comparing track stars to guys that have been stealing bases since they were 10 years old is like comparing pole vaulters to sky divers. Completely different skill set despite the same core action.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:05 pm

Good grief with all this ruptured stuff.
Haniger's ruptured nut sack.
Tuivailala and his ruptured heel sack.
Mallex and his stupid, ruptured hair sack that keeps popping out of his helmet sack.

I sure want to see Haniger return to All-Star form but I have my doubts about him. Prove me wrong, Mitch.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 am

We got'em cheap enough..... now let's trade'em.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 am
We got'em cheap enough..... now let's trade'em.
JD has obviously lost his will to trade now that he has got rid of all the Latinos. lol
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:40 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:10 pm
DanielVogelbach wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:05 pm
bpj wrote:

Comparing track stars to guys that have been stealing bases since they were 10 years old is like comparing pole vaulters to sky divers. Completely different skill set despite the same core action.
Charlie Finley tried that very thing, he signed track star Herb Washington as a designated runner in, I believe 1974, never had an at bat. It didn't really work, there is more to stealing bases than just speed, a lot of it has to do with being able to read pitchers

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Exactly. Remember when the 49er signed Renaldo Nehemiah. 43 receptions in three seasons and done at age 25. Would be like putting DK in the Olympics as a high hurdler with no training. Crazy.
dt