Tom John

Double Mocha Man

Tom John

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Hear me out. This is baseball related. A little over a month ago I strained/stretched the UCL in my right elbow, playing too much golf. That's the ulnar collateral ligament. I can neither swing a golf club nor throw a baseball right now. Undergoing a lot of physical therapy... after an x-ray and a cortisone shot. If you're a baseball pitcher and you tear that ligament you are an immediate candidate for Tommy John surgery. Thinking I could now pitch for the Mariners.

I am due off the IL on July 17.

P.S. - Never read about Tommy John surgery before... just knew a lot of pitchers got it... including our Mr. Gonzalez. They remove a ligament from elsewhere in your body or from a cadaver. Drill a hole in your elbow, thread the ligament through the hole, tie it off and attach the other end to your humerus bone. Fascinating to me. You may now refer to me as Dr. DMM.
DMM

D-train

Re: Tom John

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:46 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Hear me out. This is baseball related. A little over a month ago I strained/stretched the UCL in my right elbow, playing too much golf. That's the ulnar collateral ligament. I can neither swing a golf club nor throw a baseball right now. Undergoing a lot of physical therapy... after an x-ray and a cortisone shot. If you're a baseball pitcher and you tear that ligament you are an immediate candidate for Tommy John surgery. Thinking I could now pitch for the Mariners.

I am due off the IL on July 17.

P.S. - Never read about Tommy John surgery before... just knew a lot of pitchers got it... including our Mr. Gonzalez. They remove a ligament from elsewhere in your body or from a cadaver. Drill a hole in your elbow, thread the ligament through the hole, tie it off and attach the other end to your humerus bone. Fascinating to me. You may now refer to me as Dr. DMM.
If you are going to go the Cadaver route, I would go with Cy Young or Arnold Palmer
dt

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm

Thanks. Cy Young's ligament might be a bit fragile and a little dusty. But Arnie's should still be okay. Or maybe I could borrow a ligament from Tiger...

Actually, I didn't have a tear so no surgery for me... unless I try to make an early comeback.
DMM

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:52 pm
Thanks. Cy Young's ligament might be a bit fragile and a little dusty. But Arnie's should still be okay. Or maybe I could borrow a ligament from Tiger...

Actually, I didn't have a tear so no surgery for me... unless I try to make an early comeback.
Did you get an MRI? Are you sure it was the ligament and not the tendon? Either way no surgery is a good thing.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm

No MRI at this time. Both the doc and the therapist say it's the ligament. Their expertise overrides Dr. DMM's. All I know is it hurts. And there should be no such thing as too much golf.
DMM

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Double Mocha Man wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm
No MRI at this time. Both the doc and the therapist say it's the ligament. Their expertise overrides Dr. DMM's. All I know is it hurts. And there should be no such thing as too much golf.
I can agree on the last point. Stinks to miss 4-6 weeks of golf in the middle of the summer. Ligament may be better for long term recovery assuming it heals. Tendon injuries can linger and be problematic off and on for a long time.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:58 pm

My wife and I were talking about Drew Smyly the other day. She said “Didn’t he have Johnny Tom surgery?” lol

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:58 pm

That's what happens when you have two first names.
DMM