Bless you, Goose!! The Man!!

Hy Feiber

Bless you, Goose!! The Man!!

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:00 am

Moe Gibbs

Re: Bless you, Goose!! The Man!!

Post by Moe Gibbs » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 am

Thanks for posting this. I understand Gossage and his disappointment. The people who run this game can easily keep tabs on the game's mass appeal. Many young people who are fans today never played the game themselves..other than a video game version. As time marches on, this will become more the rule than the exception. When it comes to "in game strategy" I don't think today's fan values the same things that Gossage does.
It's still a great game overall.
God Bless Gossage for being one of the greatest, most unafraid to speak his mind characters in the game.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:13 am

I don't disagree with what he said, but i would have liked to know more specifically how he thinks the game has changed. Is he talking about defensive shifts primarily or is there more too it? And what is making the games so much longer then they were half a century ago?

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:14 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:13 am
I don't disagree with what he said, but i would have liked to know more specifically how he thinks the game has changed. Is he talking about defensive shifts primarily or is there more too it? And what is making the games so much longer then they were half a century ago?
Making it longer?

Too many damn relievers for one thing!

Eight is Absurd.

The M’s had a 6 pitcher No Hitter, Millwood went 6?

For cryin out loud, that’s Barnum and Bailey.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:17 am

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:32 am
Thanks for posting this. I understand Gossage and his disappointment. The people who run this game can easily keep tabs on the game's mass appeal. Many young people who are fans today never played the game themselves..other than a video game version. As time marches on, this will become more the rule than the exception. When it comes to "in game strategy" I don't think today's fan values the same things that Gossage does.
It's still a great game overall.
God Bless Gossage for being one of the greatest, most unafraid to speak his mind characters in the game.
Jim Kaat’s another rare breath of fresh air, Nolan Ryan too.

I love the quote, “you pay more, get half!”

Magnificent, Goose!

I liked watching him pitch here, with that ol intimidating windup, great guy.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 am

Old white guy thinks the old days were better and uses “Democrat” as a slur. He could have won the trifecta if he would have told the interviewer to get off his lawn, or at least referred to him as a “whippersnapper”😳

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 am

bhofferb wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 am
Old white guy thinks the old days were better and uses “Democrat” as a slur. He could have won the trifecta if he would have told the interviewer to get off his lawn, or at least referred to him as a “whippersnapper”😳
Not much different than using "Old White Guy" as a slur.

bhofferb

Post by bhofferb » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:44 am

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 am
bhofferb wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:52 am
Not much different than using "Old White Guy" as a slur.
I'm an old white guy myself. not that it matters. :D

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:28 am

I liked the days when pitchers went 9 in most of their starts. IIRC games typically were 2 hours and 20 minutes during the 1960s. I don't know what attendance figures were in 1968 during "The Year Of The Pitcher..but MLB responded to the lack of scoring with a lower mound and a shortened strike zone. So too much of a good thing for the pitchers was seen as being boring for the average fan. By the late 60s relief pitchers were becoming a bigger part of the game. Now that it's becoming rare for even ACES to post more than a couple CGs per season, the drama that went along with watching your guy sweat through the final inning to finish his shutout [or Heaven forbid CONSECUTIVE shutouts] has been lost. They are even pulling guys who are working on No Hitters now. It reminds of watching the No Kick Return Football League.

Hy Feiber

Post by Hy Feiber » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:28 am
I liked the days when pitchers went 9 in most of their starts. IIRC games typically were 2 hours and 20 minutes during the 1960s. I don't know what attendance figures were in 1968 during "The Year Of The Pitcher..but MLB responded to the lack of scoring with a lower mound and a shortened strike zone. So too much of a good thing for the pitchers was seen as being boring for the average fan. By the late 60s relief pitchers were becoming a bigger part of the game. Now that it's becoming rare for even ACES to post more than a couple CGs per season, the drama that went along with watching your guy sweat through the final inning to finish his shutout [or Heaven forbid CONSECUTIVE shutouts] has been lost. They are even pulling guys who are working on No Hitters now. It reminds of watching the No Kick Return Football League.
My sentiments exactly, I used to love watching the embattled starter gut it through the 9th inning, and actually Complete a stellar performance.

He leaves the mound, to the cheers of the home fans, if applicable, hugged by the catcher, et al, Epic Times!