79 All Star Game

Millikin

79 All Star Game

Post by Millikin » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:56 am

Is on Root Sports right now. All sorts of hall of famer types, Gaylord, Rose, Reggie Jackson, Yaz...

All happening in the Kingdome. Very weird that people ever thought thin carpet over concrete (or whatever it was made of) was a good idea for baseball. Mariner Bruce Bochte just hit a high chopper over the infield for an RBI that would have been a ground out on grass.

Anyway... pretty entertaining
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Petert

Re: 79 All Star Game

Post by Petert » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:17 am

I played the infield for probably 6-8 games over a few seasons in the mid 90s at Graves Field, when it was AstroTurf. Fielding a chop was like fielding on a trampoline. Ground balls bounced true but picked up speed on the infield. It was crazy.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:32 am

thinking this was about this years all star game, figuring there won't be one, all the odd ramifications of this Arizona plan. I don't really consider the all star game a big deal, but on the other hand it is. Its hard to imagine a season without it, there is all the fan interaction, the debates, its more than the game itself...Poked around just now, there are suggestions of beginning the season with an all star game...huh, I like that, get things off with a bang

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm

I loved the Kingdome back when the Mariners sucked. It was so easy to catch a game on a Friday instead of fighting traffic leaving the city. Buy a cheap seat and by the 3rd or 4th inning move into a nicer one if you like. I enjoyed the "novelty" factor of watching a game rain or shine, no wind, no sunburn, no peanut shells and hot dog wrappers blowing around. The worst part for me was the non stop noise coming from the loudspeakers between innings.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:12 pm

I was at the game in RF stands at age 12. Had a great view of Parker's throw.
dt