I cannot log in using my cell phone

Sibelius Hindemith

I cannot log in using my cell phone

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 am

When I attempt to log in directly from the "Login" link in the upper right corner of the forum page, it just dumps me back to the index page without logging me in. When I try posting a reply on a thread, after I enter and send my login information it just re-ups the login page with a message at the top saying "You need to login in order to reply to topics within this forum".

As an experiment, I also tried registering a new account using my phone and that wouldn't work either, as it keeps telling me that the confirmation code I entered is incorrect.

Any ideas from anyone with IT smarts about what might be causing this? My phone is an android, but it's a fairly old LG model (bought in 2015) and I don't regularly update the apps on it.

Millikin

Re: I cannot log in using my cell phone

Post by Millikin » Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am

What browser is it? Chrome works best on Android. Some phone models' version of Android uses a different web browser by default and they usually suck.

This sort of forum can usually be used on an app called Tapatalk, but DT might have to do something on his end first.
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 am

It's Chrome.

Also, I had no issues logging in to the ST forums, which use an older version of the same platform as this site.

Millikin

Post by Millikin » Fri May 03, 2019 4:20 am

Hmmm .. Maybe go to settings in chrome, then go to Passwords, then see if there's a saved password for this site and delete it?

And clear cache too, I suppose.

It's a weird problem... Especially since the second account didn't work either. Might just try a different browser just as an experiment. You might already have another one installed. On this phone, a Samsung, there's a generic browser called "Internet."
She/Him/This/That/Salami/Donut

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 03, 2019 4:23 am

Did you select the Remember Me box on the login screen?

Petert

Post by Petert » Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 am

Two possibilities:

1. Are you using any kind of layered security app on your phone ? This sounds like something I used to see when Windows Firewall and another security app, such as Kaspersky were simultaneously enabled.

2. Chrome may be having a problem with trusting the certificate handed by the site and is not forwarding your credentials for validation because the site is untrusted, for whatever reason.

If it were either, it should be a matter of a security toggle inside Chrome, but not being familiar with the product I couldn’t say where.

Can you try logging in from an associate’s mobile device not using Chrome ?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 04, 2019 7:31 pm

Thanks for the input, guys.

I didn't save the login information (i.e. didn't check the "Remember Me" box).
I do have another generic browser on my phone which i preferred to Chrome but can no longer use because an Android update last year rendered it useless (basically any time i touch the screen the webpage refreshes).
I only have the security app that came with my phone (forget the name but it is standard for Android phones).
There has been no warning message with regard to trusting the certificate for this site.

I'll have to take some time and check the settings, but if it allowed me to log into the ST forums I don't know why it wouldn't be able to on this site.

Do any of you ever try logging in on your phones?

BaseHitDerby

Post by BaseHitDerby » Sat May 04, 2019 8:17 pm

You gotta get initiated.

Oso Dorado

Post by Oso Dorado » Sat May 04, 2019 8:20 pm

I can log on from my iPhone, for what that is worth

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 05, 2019 7:48 am

I have the same login issues on my phone if I dont select the Remember me box when logging in