Shannon Drayer on ‘the New Felix’

Petert

Shannon Drayer on ‘the New Felix’

Post by Petert » Fri May 03, 2019 5:36 am

A brief, but interesting piece on the changes Felix has had to come to recognize and execute on. If his last start
was any indication, he’s on the right track.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/638700/fe ... 02102126=1

Moe Gibbs

Re: Shannon Drayer on ‘the New Felix’

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri May 03, 2019 5:40 am

It's more good stuff from...... Shannon "Ichiro could hit 30 HRs if he wanted to" Drayer.

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 am

Not only is Félix throwing the curveball more, he is looking to improve it. While he still does not like to look at video or pay much attention to scouting numbers in meetings, preferring to rely on his catcher and his own reading of swings during games, Mariners director of pitching development Brian Delunas is seeing a different Félix behind the scenes.
This is why Felix is never going to be any good again.

All arm, no mental game. Dudes got an empty melon. Won't even do things to help himself. I'm glad he can meet halfway, but with his last couple years things like going over scouting reports shouldn't be optional.

And, if it is, his catchers better be doubling their time on the video and numbers. Ridiculous Felix.

stanjavier

Post by stanjavier » Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 am

Why the heck is Felix such a bone head? you think he would use any information possible to improve as he loses velocity. Sounds like he is starting to listen and little , I like the early results so far this year. Its a easy formula,guys that WORK at their Craft do well (Moyer), lazy people don't (felix)

funny that he is more receptive to coaching/ preparation in a contract year , what a arrogant punk

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 am

bpj wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 am
Not only is Félix throwing the curveball more, he is looking to improve it. While he still does not like to look at video or pay much attention to scouting numbers in meetings, preferring to rely on his catcher and his own reading of swings during games, Mariners director of pitching development Brian Delunas is seeing a different Félix behind the scenes.

All arm, no mental game. Dudes got an empty melon. Won't even do things to help himself. I'm glad he can meet halfway, but with his last couple years things like going over scouting reports shouldn't be optional.

And, if it is, his catchers better be doubling their time on the video and numbers. Ridiculous Felix.
Felix has looked better his last couple of outings. Is it sustainable? Doubtful. Will it make him better than last year in his final season as a Mariner. Yes. A lot better? Probably not.

His last couple of outings were vintage in one way. The better he pitches, the less offensive support he gets. It comical. It's tragic.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 03, 2019 6:10 am

He has definitely looked better, you're right.

Makes you wonder what he has against being as good as he possibly could be by absorbing all the data available.

Petert

Post by Petert » Fri May 03, 2019 6:59 am

It makes me wonder if the arrogance is derived from the money, or the self-perception of his ‘greatness’. Years back, you’d see guys who had hellacious stuff adapt successfully to guile and deception in the latter parts of their career, simply because they needed the paycheck, and loved the game enough to understand an attitude didn’t put food on the table.

Now, I guess the money makes it a non-issue. Everyone’s ‘a legend in their own lunchtime’.

franson247

Post by franson247 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 pm

rockycola wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 am
bpj wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:46 am

Felix has looked better his last couple of outings. Is it sustainable? Doubtful. Will it make him better than last year in his final season as a Mariner. Yes. A lot better? Probably not.

His last couple of outings were vintage in one way. The better he pitches, the less offensive support he gets. It comical. It's tragic.
He has definitely looked better this season, and in some cases (maybe only one) he got some run support - only to have the bullpen blow it for him. It has always amazed me how many 1-0, 2-1, 2-0 games that man has lost. It would be amazing to see what his overall record (and how many Cy Young Awards) he would have if we could have given him a lick of run support!

bpj

Post by bpj » Fri May 03, 2019 3:15 pm

I've watched more Felix games than I can remember and more than any other time I remember thinking, "Huh, they really put out the A defense, D offense today..."

The only conclusion that I can come to is Felix at some point in his career made his ERA a priority over Wins. I believe he asks for a good defense behind him, not realizing that most of the time that defense didn't come along with MLB level bats to put runs on the board.

Ziskmagic

Post by Ziskmagic » Fri May 03, 2019 3:18 pm

Felix has been everything nobody expected him to be - our most consistent starter. He is a knucklehead, but maybe a knucklehead with trade value if he continues.
As a body we are alone, as a soul never.