Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Dr Naysay

Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Post by Dr Naysay » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:20 pm

I was one of the biggest Vogelbach nut swingers last season. Now, I am thinking he is exactly where he should be but I am not convinced he is going to be the perennial player and his trade value is very high right now and I honestly believe he could get us a good return right now and ridiculously I would wan't to trade him now. I am being out there and feel free to flame away.
Last edited by Dr Naysay on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Re: Unpopular opinion, I would trade Vogelbach at some point this season

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Not even arb eligible until 2022, not FA eligible until 2025
Rare combo of patience and power
Perfect DH that can back up at 1B
No reason to think it isn't sustainable given his history in the minors
Fan Favorite and a reason to come to the park and watch on TV

At some point you need to stop trading guys that are good for guys that might be good, especially 26 yo's with 5 years of control
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm

I also don't think you really get that much for him, sure he has all that control but right off the bat you eliminate half the teams in the NL, and there are not a lot of AL teams looking for a DH, see EE

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm
I also don't think you really get that much for him, sure he has all that control but right off the bat you eliminate half the teams in the NL, and there are not a lot of AL teams looking for a DH, see EE
Yep. He belongs here.

btw we are now kickin ass in the Vogey for Monty trade. 2.1 WAR to -0.2! :)
dt

ice99

Post by ice99 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:08 pm

This season? No. He's hardly been given a chance until this year. Trade Dee and Leake this year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:14 pm

ice99 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:08 pm
This season? No. He's hardly been given a chance until this year. Trade Dee and Leake this year.
Yup.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:16 pm

that is fWAR?...Monty has 1.8 bWAR...and there is the cumulative aspect, 8 fWAR since we traded him. But Vogy seems to be coming around. I was gonna say the other day, maybe there was a reason for keeping him in the minors for so long. Montgomery still seems pretty important to the Cubs, he has been on the DL for a month? ...Montgomery exited the game with left middle finger discomfort, according to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, that from a month ago...another sissy!

:::

Post by ::: » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:20 pm

I'd be open to trading him but it all depends on what you would get back and I tend to agree with Beach that the return would be less than stellar. As long as the organization feels that they can't send him up to the plate against lefties, they should be listening to offers no reason to move him unless the offer is a definite improvement.
Last edited by ::: on Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:16 pm
that is fWAR?...Monty has 1.8 bWAR...and there is the cumulative aspect, 8 fWAR since we traded him. But Vogy seems to be coming around. I was gonna say the other day, maybe there was a reason for keeping him in the minors for so long. Montgomery still seems pretty important to the Cubs, he has been on the DL for a month? ...Montgomery exited the game with left middle finger discomfort, according to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, that from a month ago...another sissy!
Yeah fWAR. I realize VB has some catching up to do but that is the M's fault not his. I think if they would have started the rebuild when they should have by trading Cruz and making him the full time DH he would be right there with Monty if not higher.
dt

:::

Post by ::: » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

I think that's a bit of a stretch. Farley didn't set the world on fire when he was brought up earlier. There's no way imo to assume he would have succeeded if he was given the full time DH spot a year or more ago. For all we know, the way the M's have handled him has been perfect for his development. Last but not least, I don't mean to keep scratching at this point but the M's do not have any confidence in his ability to hit left handed pitching. Until they give him a chance and he proves that he can, he's going to be platooned.