bpj

Former Mariners

Post by bpj » Sat May 04, 2019 4:35 am

Ketel Marte off to a hot start, leading the Dbacks in homeruns with 7

https://www.mlb.com/news/ketel-marte-is ... the-making

DavidGee24

Re: Former Mariners

Post by DavidGee24 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:47 am

More like nine, two bombs at Coors tonight. A few years ago he hit ONE for us the entire season. The Diamondbacks may yet get something out of that deal.

Freespeech

Post by Freespeech » Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 pm

I was very surprised that AZ was all in on Marte. They saw something I didn't. Or that Dipoto didn't more importantly. Do hope Taijuan makes it back, was that TJ surgery?

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Freespeech wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:14 pm
I was very surprised that AZ was all in on Marte. They saw something I didn't. Or that Dipoto didn't more importantly. Do hope Taijuan makes it back, was that TJ surgery?
I think the Mariners just didn't want to wait for him to develop with their"win now" mentality a few years ago, and his defense at short was pretty bad. He killed it in AAA at 21 yo offensively, and wasn't that bad offensively. They just were able to get a better player for SS at the time in Segura
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 pm

Zunino is hitting .149 on the road with a .482 OPS. Good thing he isn't playing half his games at T-mobile Park.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sat May 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Sibelius wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 pm
Zunino is hitting .149 on the road with a .482 OPS. Good thing he isn't playing half his games at T-mobile Park.
Ouch. I am still kicking myself for being such a Zunino fanboy for so long, especially when mikeyb12 kept telling us all to not be.
I take full responsibility for my mancrush and I'll try not to do ever do it again.

Man, oh, man, I love Kelenic and JRod...........I can hardly wait!!!
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun May 05, 2019 2:57 am

Guess I didn't need a whole new thread............

Drew Smyly is back
Post by rockycola » Sat May 04, 2019 7:54 pm

..............just not with the Mariners. It's with Texas.

I didn't realize that he's already started 4 games this season for the Rangers. Well, goody for him.
Texas will activate southpaw Drew Smyly from the IL to start Sunday against Toronto, Rangers executive vice president of communications John Blake announced. The oft-injured Smyly, who missed 2017-18 after undergoing Tommy John surgery, has been on the IL since April 20 because of mid-arm nerve tightness in his left arm. While the 29-year-old seems to have dodged a serious ailment this time, his return from TJ surgery has been a struggle thus far. Smyly has averaged fewer than four innings a start across four tries and posted a 7.80 ERA with six walks per nine and a meager 26.7 percent groundball rate.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/ ... smyly.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... um=linker-

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun May 05, 2019 2:56 pm

18 innings. That is a long game.

Yesterday in Milwaukee the Brewers beat the Mets 4-3 on Ryan Braun's single, his 6th hit of the game. The Brewers had only 11 hits in the 5 hour, 22 minute game. The Mets only managed 10 hits.

The former Mariners?

Robinson Cano went 0-7. Robbie only K'd once.
Also for New York, Edwin Diaz pitched a 1-2-3 twelfth inning. His lone strikeout was...............you guessed it ~ Ben Gamel.
Good ol' Ben did manage 1 single in 6 official trips to the plate. He walked once and struck out 4 times.

Milwaukee's 1B Eric Thames was 0-6 with 3 walks and 3 K's.

That's the report on four former Seattle Mariners.

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Mon May 06, 2019 8:35 pm

Found this interesting and intriguing on multiple levels.
1.) Ryan Yarbrough, who I thought had a solid future in Seattle went to the Rays in the infamous first Mallex trade.
"January 11, 2017: Traded by the Seattle Mariners with Carlos Vargas (minors) and Mallex Smith to the Tampa Bay Rays for Drew Smyly."
2.) Last year, in his rookie year with Tampa Bay, Yarbrough was 5th in A.L. ROY voting, posting a superb 16-6 record, 3.91 ERA
3.) In 2019 he is allowing opponent runs to cross the plate like he's handing out Halloween candy.
4.) The Florida writer who voted for him as a ROY gave Ryan a 3rd place vote which was Yarbrough's only vote. He deserved vote(s) because he had a very good rookie campaign.
5.) The Florida writer/voter was also the ONLY one that left Ohtani completely off the ballot, sparking calls for his head, or at least his voting privileges.
6.) And of course Ohtani was who Dipoto put all of his eggs in one basket to try to sign. And failed.

The Rays have sent down lefty Ryan Yarbrough in favor of infielder Andrew Velazquez, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.

Yarbrough, 27, was recalled yesterday following an April 24th demotion, but was not needed given the postponement of the Rays’ Sunday tilt in Baltimore. Yarbrough has been scored upon in four of his five appearances this year, resulting in an 8.10 ERA in 16 2/3 frames. He’ll head back to Triple-A Durham following a 2018 season that resulted in a fifth place Rookie of the Year finish, with a lone vote from Dick Scanlon of the Lakeland Ledger. Scanlon’s was the only Rookie of the Year ballot to omit Shohei Ohtani. Last year, Yarbrough was able to rack up 16 wins serving as the Rays’ self-termed “bulk guy” or primary pitcher, the hurler who follows the team’s opener. In this capacity, Yarbrough made 32 relief appearances, averaging about 3.7 innings each time.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/ ... rough.html Some of the comments at the end of this mlbtr article are priceless.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... rbro000rya

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 pm

If only his name would have been Omar Zunino.

By Steve Adams | May 10, 2019 at 9:35am CDT
The Rays announced that they’ve placed catcher Mike Zunino on the 10-day injured list due to a left quad strain and selected the contract of fellow backstop Anthony Bemboom. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times first reported that the move was coming and suggests that Zunino will be out about three weeks.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/ ... mboom.html

A funny comment in the article:
connfyoozed3 hours ago
Now if we can just get Anthony Bemboom and Carter Kieboom on the same team, then BOOM!