Re: SS on JK

Post by D-train » Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:59 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 pm

I know all that but I still think travel is at least a large negative for these guys.
I can see them wanting to be close to home or wanting ST in Florida if they live there but flight time is totally over blown because people just keep repeating it instead of bother to take the 3 minutes to calculate it.
There's more travel the further west you go, generally, whereas there are a lot of teams in the east that most road trips are just short little hops. And in the center of the country you have a combination of short and medium length trips. But whatever the reason, Seattle always seems to be the least favored destination and when free agents come here it's typically their last choice, or nearly. For Beltre and Sexson, if I remember right, Seattle was the only real bidder, so they came. And with Cano it was similar in that nobody else was willing to fork out for a superstar contract. I think travel is a consistent consideration, and I think there are probably other factors having to do with the reputation of the organization that we aren't really aware of because local media doesn't report on it.
Yeah there are other factors than money but I still think money is by far the biggest. Guys literally go to play in Japan for a few million dollars. I read its pretty far.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon May 16, 2022 10:08 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:

I know all that but I still think travel is at least a large negative for these guys.
I can see them wanting to be close to home or wanting ST in Florida if they live there but flight time is totally over blown because people just keep repeating it instead of bother to take the 3 minutes to calculate it.
There's more travel the further west you go, generally, whereas there are a lot of teams in the east that most road trips are just short little hops. And in the center of the country you have a combination of short and medium length trips. But whatever the reason, Seattle always seems to be the least favored destination and when free agents come here it's typically their last choice, or nearly. For Beltre and Sexson, if I remember right, Seattle was the only real bidder, so they came. And with Cano it was similar in that nobody else was willing to fork out for a superstar contract. I think travel is a consistent consideration, and I think there are probably other factors having to do with the reputation of the organization that we aren't really aware of because local media doesn't report on it.
Difference between the A's and Reds who fly the least is 22k miles. That is only about 5 hours a month. Has any one ever signed with the Reds instead of the Dodgers said the Dodgers are a pretty good org but I was really excited about the low travel miles from Cincy. So centrally located. LA is so far. LOL
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue May 17, 2022 4:41 pm

GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:
GL_Storm wrote:

I think the biggest factor is the stadium. We signed the reigning Cy Young winner so we obviously don't have an issue attracting pitchers. Hitters is a different story. Baseball is a numbers driven game. At the end of your career, your legacy is going to be based on the numbers that you put up and players care about that big time. Your numbers are also going to dictate how much you make in your next contract and how long your career will last. Go take a look at Adrian Beltre's numbers in Texas verses in Seattle. Beltre is a first ballot hall of fame player and Safeco affected him to the point where he had to take a 1 year prove it deal when he left Seattle. It's no wonder why guys like Semien would rather go to Texas than here. The Mariners as a team had an .711 OPS on the road and a.663 OPS at home last year while their opponents had .777 OPS in other ballparks and a .685 OPS at T-mobile. Everyone one knows that T-Mobile is going to kill your stats and hitters don't want that. We have the longest playoff drought in major American sports and we have the aforementioned geographical challenges so there really isn't much else attractive about this team to counteract the unattractiveness of the stadium. How much do you need to overpay a player to convince him to come here and risk torpedoing his career?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 17, 2022 5:28 pm

I would agree to an extent. If a guys is looking to pile up HOF hitting stats to boost his chance of being elected that I could definitely see him wanting to avoid pitchers parks but good hitters sign with teams with pitcher's parks every off season and Cruz signed here and hit great.

Also, with modern analytics teams simply ballpark adjust hitter's stats. Nobody is going to think Kris Bryant is a better hitter than Ty France this season if he hits one more HR or has an OPS that is a few points higher.

That being said I guess there are still a few dumb teams out there like the Red Sox that somehow didn't realize Story was a Coors baby and are now paying the price. lol

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... tr01.shtml
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 18, 2022 1:11 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:41 pm
GL_Storm wrote:
D-train wrote:

I think the biggest factor is the stadium. We signed the reigning Cy Young winner so we obviously don't have an issue attracting pitchers. Hitters is a different story. Baseball is a numbers driven game. At the end of your career, your legacy is going to be based on the numbers that you put up and players care about that big time. Your numbers are also going to dictate how much you make in your next contract and how long your career will last. Go take a look at Adrian Beltre's numbers in Texas verses in Seattle. Beltre is a first ballot hall of fame player and Safeco affected him to the point where he had to take a 1 year prove it deal when he left Seattle. It's no wonder why guys like Semien would rather go to Texas than here. The Mariners as a team had an .711 OPS on the road and a.663 OPS at home last year while their opponents had .777 OPS in other ballparks and a .685 OPS at T-mobile. Everyone one knows that T-Mobile is going to kill your stats and hitters don't want that. We have the longest playoff drought in major American sports and we have the aforementioned geographical challenges so there really isn't much else attractive about this team to counteract the unattractiveness of the stadium. How much do you need to overpay a player to convince him to come here and risk torpedoing his career?
I think there is an issue but I wouldn't focus on flight time. I think the mariners haven't been particularly successful, there isn't much of a culture, and they are stuck up, isolated in the corner of the country. There is nothing about it that makes them very attractive